Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just bought a gu ute 4.2 turbo diesel only prob is it's a leaf rear. I owned a gq as you can see and did the lift my self I'm a little knowledgeable in what's going on underneath but have no idea about leafs, now I've ordered 4" flexis springs for front and 4" pro comp shocks, as I've only ever done a 3" in the gq and never had to change panhards and stuff this is where my questions come in,

What do I need to now get?

Extendable panhards? Drop boxes!! For the rear I was thinking efs 2" lift leafs with extendable shackles and 4" shocks so I will need pan hards and stuff for back to yeh

Basicly what I'm asking for is a shopping list haha

Brake lines and tie rods?! Some one with knowledge please help :)

·
Registered
nissan
82 Posts
Will be watchin closely. have u thought bout running them superior flex shackels ? Im interested in a similar setup but want plenty of flex out of the arse let me know how u go.

Cheers scott

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,042 Posts
What you have planned for the rear is fine but you don't need a panhard at all. From experience if you are after flex to be at least a match for the front you would be better off finding a spring works to make you a new main leaf with the right cord for 4 inch lift then resetting your standard leaves to match the new main leaf, if they know what they are doing they will set the springs with a stiff front half to stop wrap and a very soft rear half section for ride and flex, and don't let them use a tight set eye wrapper this reduces flex heaps, better without if set up right. But make sure you have them set the diff pinion at the same angle as the transfer case output flange it 6 deg btw, otherwise you will get tail shaft growl and shutter and strange vibrations. If you need to carry a heavy load you could consider fitting a coil between the chassis and diff or an air bag works well and still have flex to match the front. I have tried flex shackles they work ok when you have no load but man they can be damn noisy, the problem is as soon as they extend they are only following your diff so no spring force down to help traction hence standard shackles work better in my experience.

·
Registered
nissan
82 Posts
Okay so flex shackels arent the best thanks mate so much info out there personaly i will be un loaded all the time just a steel tray lol

cheers scott

·
Registered
nissan
82 Posts
Sweet as man hope it goes good have u thought bout coil conversion ? Just found nice chassis so might be gpin that way with it haha

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have but i've had an mq, gq and now the gu, will be the second car I've done up and as the gq had coils I'm actually keen on seeing how it goes, now don't get me wrong I no coils own leaf, but wen you thing about hoe much better the diff is in the leaf utes (except the 100mm shorter part) and instead of on down flex the diff coming down on a swing, it comes straight down, I no it sounds crazy but hey gotta give these things a go don't we haha

·
Registered
628 Posts
How did you go mate? Did ya End up getting the lift done or did ya do the coil conversion?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts