Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I know this has been covered before but I'm having trouble finding info and its a pita when using an iPhone! Basically I have a coily ute with 33s at standard height at the moment and would like to lift it as little as possible to get 37s under it for play time without any rubbing. Was gonna lift it 4in but this seems overkill (depending on who you ask) and I'd like it to look as legal as possible (when the 37s are in the garage)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I would recommend radius arm spacers for the front.
For the rear I would recommend +10mm or +15mm lower trailing arms depending on which lift you eventually decide on.
I will leave it to others who have 37's on a GU Ute to discuss lift heights.
Others may laugh at you for trying for as legal as possible while running 37's but I won't.

Shane

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks shane. Yeah I expect some smartarse remarks but 3" with 33s on the road looks more legal than 6" with 35s to mr plod when I'm driving 30 kays to work. That's what I'm getting at with the "looks" legal thing.

Thanks again

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
You wont "LOOK" legal with the lift requied + the 37's, so just fit them and be happy.

·
Registered
nissan
116 Posts
can fit 37s with 3-4inch lift some guard chop, i can fit 37s under my gq ute with 4 inch lift only and get minimal scrub in front guards and rear chassis rail also have superflex arm

·
Registered
nissan
182 Posts
3" with radius arm spacers, i have stock height with 10mm radius arm spacers and fit 35's no clearance issues or rubbing thats with cruiser offset rims aswel, just removed front mudflap also. I am gona go with 15mm radius arm spacers and 3 inch flexi kit from suspension stuff and run 37's, cant see any problems considering my current setup if i run into some problems on the front il probably fix it with some coil spacers.Rear is no problem as i have lifted my tray up 3" from where it was orginally, which was already higher than a factory tray.

·
Registered
nissan
182 Posts
oh and i just remembered that in 4wd action a while ago a bloke had a gu wagon with 38" swampers.he was running 3" lift with bigger radius arm spacers possibly custom ?? i have only seen 15mm ones off ebay.

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's exactly the info I was after flexedup88 my tray is about the same height to. I'm on -13 offset rims so I may have to get cruiser offset (-26 of so?) for the 37's. What offset are you running 35s on? And your not getting any rub at full flex? Lock to lock?

Thanks alot for your input guys.

Looks like I'll be chatting with Shane and zordo soon.

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
i ran 37's on my old GU with a 5-6in lift, and it still scrubbed. . . . hardly ever, and only slightly, but it still did it. . . . 5inch is perfect for 37's on a gu for minimal scrubbing. 4inch if you dont mind a fair bit of scrubbing, 3in if you like scrubbing, 2in if you like to damage your car.

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i ran 37's on my old GU with a 5-6in lift, and it still scrubbed. . . . hardly ever, and only slightly, but it still did it. . . . 5inch is perfect for 37's on a gu for minimal scrubbing. 4inch if you dont mind a fair bit of scrubbing, 3in if you like scrubbing, 2in if you like to damage your car.
I take it your talking about a wagon?

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
I have has 37 sticky treps on my ute with 3" lift
the back rubbed a fair bit on the chassis cause they where on the wrong offset rim for me, you would want -24mm off set or bigger
I already had a 3" tray lift with 50mm bump stop extensions (long shocks suspension stuff flexxy kit pretty awesome) and they was just enough to keep the tyre off the tray
the front would be a different as you have nice big guards unlike me, mine only rubber right on the bottum of the guard and on the coil towers and radius arm at full lock,
once again offset rims would of helped alot and as mentioned a few times above radius arm spacers to move the diff forward a little

P.S I wouldn't run that size tyre again with out diff gears or transfer reduction, just to big for the type of 4wding I do

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Adoom, would be looking at reduction gears in the tcase. I'd imagine low range would be pretty scheit with the big rubber.

·
Registered
nissan
182 Posts
i dont get much flex being stock, but i get absolutely no rubbing at the moment.i tend to disagree with 5 inch or bigger, i think the opinion on lifts has changed over the years and less height is better.3" with correct bumpstops, diff spacing and offset will work perfectly i reckon, correct me if im wrong but i have no lift and 35's and will have 3 inches of lift and only around 2 inches bigger in rubber so it should be all good, so long as the bumpstops are changed, suspension stuff seems to be the man to speak to.If i get slight rubbing still i might try a 30 mm or so coil spacers which should make the ute sit more flat as most 4x4 seem to be slightly lower on the front and if i still have problems replacement fibreglass guards are available with 50mm wider opening. Every ones opinions are different my car is goin to become just a play car so legalities arent really gonna be a concern. X2 on gearing aswel you will need 4.6 ratios for onroad driving as transfere gears will only affect low range gearing, the 35's threw out my gearing significantly it was bearable but still noticeable.

·
Registered
nissan
182 Posts
heres a perfect example autocraft lift kit, this ute has heaps of work and i hear around 8k ( i cant confirm) for the kit but prob one of the best kit combos out there.You might notice the front bar sides have been modded/ reshaped

Auto-Craft Slinky coils HD 3" lift.

14" Fox triple bypass shocks rear and 10" triple bypass front.

Sway bar links extended with rod ends.

Slimline drop boxes moving arms forward 10mm.

50mm rear bump spacers and 30mm front 80 bump spacers in custom alloy mounts.

Longer front flares with fender trim and bull bar return trim.

No body lift.

37" Pro Comp muds on Robby Gordon 17 x 8.5 alloy beadlocks

Attachments

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/memb...htly-modified-king-smoothie-shocks-now-56687/

this is something built up by cutters at racebred in morwell. i liked it.

he has quoted me a full kit, full king smoothies front, rear, hydraulic bumpstops, and steering, every arm and rod under the car built by them out of 4130 and zinc coated, custom drop boxes and billet steel radius arms powdercoated, custom towers, custom 4link rear end conversion, custom coil-shock mounts, flexy coils, braided brake lines, transmission spacers, etc etc all supplied and fitted for 7k for my race truck.

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/memb...htly-modified-king-smoothie-shocks-now-56687/

this is something built up by cutters at racebred in morwell. i liked it.

he has quoted me a full kit, full king smoothies front, rear, hydraulic bumpstops, and steering, every arm and rod under the car built by them out of 4130 and zinc coated, custom drop boxes and billet steel radius arms powdercoated, custom towers, custom 4link rear end conversion, custom coil-shock mounts, flexy coils, braided brake lines, transmission spacers, etc etc all supplied and fitted for 7k for my race truck.
7K and your running drop boxes? :S is there I reason your not getting drop arms or flex arms or something?

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
7K and your running drop boxes? :S is there I reason your not getting drop arms or flex arms or something?
need to run drop boxes to use the custom mounting points for the billet arms, also improves impact strength for a race truck. and you're better off having the mounts for your radius arms as horizontal with you're diff as possible for steering and brake control. . . . it has nothing to do with Castor correction. -you're right. . . . you are better off just running dropped arms for a mild lift road going truck.:D

·
Registered
640 Posts
I suppose it all going to come down to how much time and $$ you have to set it up, more than how high you 'need'. To explain - off the shelf / general kits 3-5" which require extended bumpstops and have no major increase in travel, through to well designed setups which can be 3-6" (depending on preferred terrain) and have shaved or standard bumpstop locations.

eg: we maximised travel and roll centers/axis to maintain stability yet still had a 4-4.5" lift for ramp over when crawling and shock compression when racing.

as you can see the front tire 'stuff' was limited by gaurd clearance, when we ran 40's we could almost get the tire to come up level with the bonnet! In the rear we limited the travel by only running 18" travel shocks... this was mainly due to massive rubbing on the chassis and still running -30mm BS rims. Even in the rear we could get so much compression we were hitting the stock bumpstop without extensions. The advantage in doing this is that the vehicle 'sits' down when flexing rather then just pivoting UP over the spring and raising the CofG. The little tubs in the rear tray allow the tire to tuck right up until it rubbed then droop down nearly 40"+.

IMO ~4" is a good overall height, which allows good compression when the suspension cycles and good ramp over of medium to long'ish wheelbase vehicles. Another must is to fit a flat belly plate and some sort of long arm style rear lower links to allow you to get power to the ground and reduce chassis torque offcamber. There is plenty of other things to look at as well, so if you have any other Q's we will try to help.

Greg

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
X2 on gearing aswel you will need 4.6 ratios for onroad driving as transfere gears will only affect low range gearing, the 35's threw out my gearing significantly it was bearable but still noticeable.
I plan on only using the big rubber in low range territory, not interested in wasting them on the highway daily.

Thanks for the info on autocraft and racebred guys, might do some overtime next month I think.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 24 Posts