Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have a 1999 GU ST flat tray which I use for carting the odd load of wood, but also use as the tow vehicle for our Tvan off road camper trailer. I have Polly-Air springs fitted to the rear, but to be honest the whole suspension feels pretty tired,- I think that it is all original, and now has 230,000Km, so I am after suitable replacement recommendations.
I would like 2'' of lift I think, for some of the rougher situations that I may encounter, and comfort is a major consideration. My wife doesn't want her insides shaken out when we travel the Gibb River Road, or The Canning Stock Rout as we plan to do. We are in our early and mid 60s, so aren't the sort who want to climb Ayers Rock or The Olgas and as I have a limited budget (The ute, Tvan and even the wife were all second hand when I acquired them, - but don't tell her I said that:lol:) I need to watch the costs closely. I did see the thread here about the SRC shocks, and they sounded like they could be the bees knees,with adjustable everything, rebuildable etc,etc, but the cost is around double what I hope to spend for springs and shocks. I have done some enquiring and have been told that foam cell shocks would be better for long sustained runs of heavy corrugations, than gas filled, but the gas filled would be more comfortable. We would be prepared to stop for a while to let the shocks cool down in extreme conditions, unlike someone who is into desert racing, and I think that I could install most of this stuff myself to save a bit.
So it comes down to what shocks, what springs (would progressive be worth the extra) and do I have to go through every suspension bush in the vehicle, and if so, are the standard rubber bushes best for my circumstances. That is enough for now, If I have left out vital info needed to let you advise me, please say so and I will do my best to provide it. Thanks everyone for your time and experience, Regards,
Rob

·
Registered
nissan patrol
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone got some advice here, - Some do's or don'ts, products best avoided, others of above average quality at that price level etc. Also situations like brand XXX shocks for say $650.00 a set of 4 as compared to brand YYY for say $750.00 a set of 4, where brand YYY are significantly superior to XXX for a fairly small increase. I don't want to give the impression that cost is no object, because it is very significant for me but at the same time, I would hate to spend 650 on a POS, when for just a little extra, I could have bought something very much better in performance and build quality. If more info needed before you can really advise, please let me know. Thanks in advance,
Rob

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I purchased Bilsteins from the states last year ( $450 delivered ) and they have now done 2 big trips, The cape and Simpson, hay river track. I cannot rate them highly enough. I have done the canning and that was on OME shocks I would not use them again. On the corrugations the bilsteins are very good, I would have no hesitation in buying them again. You will be carrying a huge load for the canning the billies will control this very well.

If you do the canning DON'T take the van.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for your reply Two Up, and you certainly got my interest with your comment on Bilsteins. Can you elaborate on what particular Bilstein shocks you bought, (if it was for a GU ute) and from who you bought them in the U.S. That price looks really competitive compared to what I have seen locally, and I have been wondering just how they would compare to other shocks available here. Did they take long to get here, once you had ordered them, as I will be on the way in 3 weeks. Regards,
Rob.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The fronts are F4- B46-1266ho the rears are F4- B46 1267 ho. I got them through summit racing, from order placement to delivery was 1 week. Have a look on ebay there is someone selling a set for 650 if you are in a big hurry.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a 1999 dx gu ute leaf rear and last year installed Old Man Emu springs and nitrocharger shocks. Have been really happy with the way they have performed, have done just over 20,000ks on them including a trip to cape york and have found them to give a pretty comfortable ride, definitely a lot better than standard springs a shocks. There was a patrol wagon on standard springs travelling with me to cape york and when we swapped vehicles for a while they couldn't believe how much smoother my ute was.
I went with 400kg constant load springs as i have a pretty heavy steel tray and water tank and now a canopy which all up tares at about 2.9 t and it still handles really well.
I fitted them all myself without any problems apart from fighting the leaf springs into place but that won't worry you, but the coils in the front were easy once i worked out what i had to do.

Don't think Old Man Emu will be the cheapest but definitely worth a look, and after having them i wouldn't even bother looking at anything else now.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
We are getting Bilstein remote reservoir shocks re-valved and modified to bolt onto Patrols and once you have a set there is no turning back. We are selling them including freight and what you need to bolt them onto your Patrol for $1600 for a set of 4. We are working to get the non reservoir Bilsteins to suit our 3"-5" Flexy coils but we are waiting on rear shocks.

Bilsteins go really well with our flexy coils which will also give a smoother ride and the spring rate will increase as you load up the vehicle more so the spring rate is always ideal.

The spring rate of the rear coils when you have no load in an alloy tray ute would be about 260lbs, with a steel tray or a wagon 290lbs, with a rear bar and drawers 340lbs, with another 250kg of stuff they increase to 400lbs. So no matter how much you load your vehicle these coils have the perfect spring rate. You still need to get the coil that you most want to use the vehicle for to make sure it is sitting at the right ride height.

Front Coils are about 270lbs but if you put a winch and heavy bull bar they increase to 290lbs. They don't incease any further then this.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for your suggestions and ideas. I have decided on Dobinson coils, and ROX shocks, and will fit the 2 inch spacer to the Polly-Air bags already installed. I was very interested in the Bilstein shocks, but after talking to a distributor of Bilsteins, on his advice went for the cheaper Rox, because there are no Bilsteins which are quite long enough for the 2" lifted springs, on the ute. They would be ok if there was always 100 Kg in the tray, and they are fine on a waggon, but I was advised that although superior to the Rox in ride quality, they are a tad short for an empty ute. The gear from Suspension Stuff sounds terrific, but is almost double my budget, I'll take a good look at that if I find a nugget or two on my travels. When I get it all fitted, and more relevant I would say after I have done my forthcoming trip, I will update this post with my thoughts on the vehicles performance. Thanks again for your time and advice,
Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts