Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol st gu iii
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day guys... :)

Just wanted to hear from some of the more modded guys out there, to make sure I have ticked all the required boxes to satisfy the subject. Before I part with a few thousand, always pays to make sure things have been looked at properly. Long story short, going from a 3"/33's combo, to a 5"/35's setup. Why? Because I still want it to flex as hard as it does now, just with the bigger tyres. And with the weight of all the accessories, I'm expecting it to settle at 4 - 4.5" lift height.

It is an 01 ST wagon. Hoping for some relevant input and healthy discussion. That way the thread can be a good resource to others also. Now, legalities/insurance aside, have I got all the right bits to make this work?

45mm TD adjustable shocks to suit lift.
Dobinsons coils. (Purely because they do a HD, XHD, and XXHD option for F & R. TD and others do not). I haven't yet committed to which variant.
5" brake bias bracket.
Extended braided brake lines to suit lift.
Superior hybrid superflex arms with drop boxes. (The 'all in one' ones they sell).
Superior 5" lift upper arms. (Fixed).
Superior std length lower arms. (Fixed).
Swaybar disconnects F & R. (Swaybars will stay on the car).
Some diff breather auto hose to extend the diff lines.
Procomp 7069's in 16x8 (-12) with 315/75/16 KM2's.

I already have panhards in and a newish steering dampener. Thoughts? Opinions? The truck goes in for Eaton E-lockers both ends and some re-gearing shortly after.

Thanks in advance,

Brent.
:)

·
Registered
nissan patrol st gu iii
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you're saying stick to a 4" coil then J? I don't know how they rate the heights, but I was assuming that a 4" inch coil would settle to 3.5 or so? Or is a 4" coil technically 4.5, settling to 4?

The main reason as I said, was it flexes a long way currently, and I just want that to continue with the bigger rubber. It surprises people with where it goes. Haven't weighed it, but according to books, the 4.2 GU wagon is the heaviest of the lot. Combined with that is steel bars on each end, sliders, winch, full roof cage with RTT, drawers, fridge, blah blah blah.

Brent.
:)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
63 Posts
I reckon you'll be looking at around 3.5 ton ?
Better to stick with the 3 inch and modify the shock towers to take longer shocks to increase travel. IMHO .
Even with 35s your bump stops arnt going to get shorter so you'll still ha e the same up travel wether 5or 3.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have similar accessories and put mine on the weigh bridge last week. Came in at 3100kg. Full sub tank, half main tank, front custom tube winch bar, winch, rear tube bar with twin carriers, drawers, cargo barrier, steel roof rack, awning, 35's on steel rims, sliders, hi lift jack and 5 inch lift. Only one spare on the car but yeah I'm over GVM without it even loaded for a trip.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
My two cents worth.

45mm TD adjustable shocks to suit lift.
Go Amadas or save for fox or kings. Worth the wait to buy rebuildable, tuneable shocks.
Dobinsons coils. (Purely because they do a HD, XHD, and XXHD option for F & R. TD and others do not). I haven't yet committed to which variant.
I have Dobinson and Old man emu coils. Old man emu by far better ride. Don't go extra heavy duty. Weigh each corner of your vehicle and go from there. More to coils then just 3" or 5" lift.
5" brake bias bracket.
Yes need it.
Extended braided brake lines to suit lift.
Honestly felt no difference in peddle.
Superior hybrid superflex arms with drop boxes. (The 'all in one' ones they sell).
Wait for there 12mm "updated design". personally I think they ****ed up with there first batch.
Superior 5" lift upper arms. (Fixed).
Fix or adjustable. I went adjustable each to there own.
Superior std length lower arms. (Fixed).
Or 10mm longer.
Swaybar disconnects F & R. (Swaybars will stay on the car).
Dont do it, just put in extended links or remove bar all together, each to there own.
Some diff breather auto hose to extend the diff lines.
Yes need it.
Procomp 7069's in 16x8 (-12) with 315/75/16 KM2's.
A lot like condoms, its certainly not one size fits all or not at all in my case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts