Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
All work done the hard way
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, this thing turned up in the post the other day, and I had to make room for it in the crowded engine bay. The second battery had to go.

(the airbox is a work of art, gives me a thrill every time I look at it ha ha!)

I have considered many options and decided I would go for a rear battery installation, mainly because I always seem to be tinkering in the engine bay and there is no room to work in there. I had heard rumours about the void behind the cover panel on the passenger side, so I thought I would check it out and do a little write-up as it doesn't look like anyone has done one yet (I did look).

How to remove fill panels in GU wagon in ten easy steps

1. Start by removing the cover strip at the rear of the boot. They have those little plastic things that are supposed to unscrew but mine didn't, so I just drilled them out.
boot1.jpg

2. Pull the edge strip away and remove whatever other accessories/junk you have in the boot- it will make it easier. I say this in hindsight.
boot2.jpg

3. Remove this trim clip from just inside the barn door
boot5.jpg

4. Unbolt the seatbelts for the 2nd and third rows (14mm nuts) and the grab handle from above the window. After you have undone the bottom nuts, the seatbelts can be left hanging for now
boot3.jpg boot6.jpg

5. Unscrew this useless thing from near the window
boot7.jpg

6. Remove this cover from closer to the front of the window. I think it is supposed to slide up and off the clip; I didn't know this and I broke the clip (it wasn't the only one). Check for any other visible clips or bolt-ons- I may have missed some, or some may be missing in my vehicle 'cause it's old :)
boot8.jpg

7. The demister can be left connected; it isn't in the way. Just as well because I couldn't get it apart anyway.
boot9.jpg

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
(Continued).

8. Now the fun bit. Starting inside the rear passenger door, grab the bottom of the plastic window surround and gently pull it away. Once you have the first clip off, work along the bottom edge of the window surround, pulling outwards. In my vehicle, there was one clip just above the top of the 2nd row seatbelt (just visible in the first photo below) and three along the bottom (including the first one- see second photo below). Once you have these four clips out, pull the plastic surround gently downwards and it should come away from the top (two clips of a different sort up there).

The seatbelt guides in the window surround can be unclipped from the back side, and the seatbelt fed through the hole.
boot11.jpg boot13.jpg

9. The bottom section was a bit easier. The clips in the photo below were hidden by the window surround you have just removed- use something pointy to lever the middle section up, and they should just pull out. Then work your way around the panel, gently pulling the clips away until it is free. Most of mine were brittle as **** and they broke anyway.
boot12.jpg

10. Well looky here, you have revealed a magnificent void behind the panel and above the wheel arch... the photo really doesn't do it justice- it is cavernous. Plenty of room for a battery, not much to hang it off or support it (panels are very thin) but I have some grand plans...
boot14.jpg

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
974 Posts
I investigated this but have rear AC. It is the way to go IMO.

I have the same A/B as you patiently waiting. They are lovely, arent they.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
432 Posts
Great timing.

I've been really wanting to make use of the same space. I'm not so willing to spend $400 on the Horizons Touring battery tray (although it does look nice)

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Also, I often wish I had gone that Radius Panel filter from the start. I'm too (recently) invested in my under bonnet setup with battery tray, battery, DCDC, Pod filter box and associated pipework to change it up again. Having said that, the radius panel setup would be the best performance/filtration from what I understand, and still leave you with a bit of space next door for catch can, fuel filter, even an ARB air compressor if you wanted. Nice one.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I investigated this but have rear AC. It is the way to go IMO.

I have the same A/B as you patiently waiting. They are lovely, arent they.
Yeah its sexy as, I can't wait to get in in there. I wish I could TIG like that...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Great timing.

I've been really wanting to make use of the same space. I'm not so willing to spend $400 on the Horizons Touring battery tray (although it does look nice)

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Also, I often wish I had gone that Radius Panel filter from the start. I'm too (recently) invested in my under bonnet setup with battery tray, battery, DCDC, Pod filter box and associated pipework to change it up again. Having said that, the radius panel setup would be the best performance/filtration from what I understand, and still leave you with a bit of space next door for catch can, fuel filter, even an ARB air compressor if you wanted. Nice one.
Yeah I've been following your thread @jackbyo, your FMIC is an inspiration to me and I will get to that eventually, the top mount I have at the moment s**** me as I can't get at the engine easily. I've already got second battery and tray, catch can, solar regulator, coolant overflow and stacks of cabling and fuses under the bonnet on the passenger side and unfortunately most of it will have to be moved to fit the panel filter box in. I saw the Horizon product and it is exactly what everyone needs, it looks like a really well thought out design, very well finished and TBH for what it is I believe the price is pretty damn good. It would look great in a newer wagon.

Having said that, mine is not a newer wagon and I am too much of a tightarse to spend the money on it when I can do it myself, although it won't look as pretty 😀 plus I do love the DIY.

Bad news is I am back at work now, won't finish my roster 'til next week so no updates until then.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
432 Posts
Yeah I've been following your thread @jackbyo, your FMIC is an inspiration to me and I will get to that eventually, the top mount I have at the moment s**** me as I can't get at the engine easily. I've already got second battery and tray, catch can, solar regulator, coolant overflow and stacks of cabling and fuses under the bonnet on the passenger side and unfortunately most of it will have to be moved to fit the panel filter box in. I saw the Horizon product and it is exactly what everyone needs, it looks like a really well thought out design, very well finished and TBH for what it is I believe the price is pretty damn good. It would look great in a newer wagon.

Having said that, mine is not a newer wagon and I am too much of a tightarse to spend the money on it when I can do it myself, although it won't look as pretty 😀 plus I do love the DIY.

Bad news is I am back at work now, won't finish my roster 'til next week so no updates until then.
Regarding your intercooler, i don't think my kit (Dats Cool) or fabwitz are made for the TD. Maybe Fabwitz not sure. Have heard the PDI kit is quite sloppy, doesn't join up very well etc...
I would look into the Jonny Tig front mount setup. Interesting the way it's mounted directly on the face of the AC Condenser, which would make the engine fan much more efficient than on setups like mine.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to seeing how your DIY project plans out. If you do keep track of the measurements, I'll be keen to imitate it.
What are you gonna use? MDF, Ply, sheet metal?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Regarding your intercooler, i don't think my kit (Dats Cool) or fabwitz are made for the TD. Maybe Fabwitz not sure. Have heard the PDI kit is quite sloppy, doesn't join up very well etc...
I would look into the Jonny Tig front mount setup. Interesting the way it's mounted directly on the face of the AC Condenser, which would make the engine fan much more efficient than on setups like mine.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to seeing how your DIY project plans out. If you do keep track of the measurements, I'll be keen to imitate it.
What are you gonna use? MDF, Ply, sheet metal?
Re: intercooler, I'm more of an eBay man... cheap cooler, cheap piping kit works just fine for me. I followed your thread closely because I am interested in the best way to run the cooler piping, but I think I have it sorted in my head now. I was going to run a 600 x 300 cooler but just yesterday I was looking at the 450 x 280 cooler I already have and I thought, why not? It isn't broken yet, and the engine runs cool enough as it is, so front mounting it can only make it better. Plus I won't have to fcuk around so much trying to fit it in.

For the battery holder, I am thinking either steel frame and plywood sheeting, or the other option is the sheet of 1mm steel I salvaged from the tip that just may be big enough, this would give me the maximum storage space. Either way I will put some marine carpet on it to make it look pretty. Luckily, Horizon has tons of pics on their website to facilitate plagiarism- a bit short-sighted of them perhaps? :) They've done a bloody good job, I'll give them that much.

I just bought myself a nutsert/rivnut tool (yes eBay spec again), can't wait to use it- I think it will be perfect for this job. I will keep measurements.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK I have had a look at what's out there, there are enough pics with measurements on the net to give me enough to get started on it with CAD even though I'm at work this week... need to get some more materials sorted

·
Registered
nissan patrol
164 Posts
Hey Knuckles, it looks like you have your heart set on a good diy project but just another option to think about. I made my own panel filter air box and to make room I repositioned the second battery to the back passenger side corner of the engine bay using an ARB battery box designed for the 2.8. Needed slight mods and repositioning of the vacuum tanks but no real big deal for someone who has the skills to make a rear shelf in the quarter panel.
That could leave the rear quarter shelf for something like recovery gear or beer👍
I tested underbonnet temps on the exhaust side of the battery box and it only reached 65c so the heat seems to go out under the floor rather than to the battery which sits pretty high up.
Cheers
RD

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Knuckles, it looks like you have your heart set on a good diy project but just another option to think about. I made my own panel filter air box and to make room I repositioned the second battery to the back passenger side corner of the engine bay using an ARB battery box designed for the 2.8. Needed slight mods and repositioning of the vacuum tanks but no real big deal for someone who has the skills to make a rear shelf in the quarter panel.
That could leave the rear quarter shelf for something like recovery gear or beer👍
I tested underbonnet temps on the exhaust side of the battery box and it only reached 65c so the heat seems to go out under the floor rather than to the battery which sits pretty high up.
Cheers
RD
Yo RD, cheers mate- I have heard about that option, it didn't come to mind when I started this though for some reason. A great option but I've already made a custom mount for my catch can and it fits very neatly in that spot now so I would be reluctant to move it again!

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
974 Posts
Yeah its sexy as, I can't wait to get in in there. I wish I could TIG like that...
Knuckles, did Rad Fab give you any fitting instructions?

Just mocking up the airbox base today to see if it will even come close to fitting (it's going F_ing hard IMO.

I've done some clearing work to my fan shroud I wished I hadn't had to considering I don't know if the intake pipes can even be made to work.

Do these bolt points look to be the correct ones for the Radius airbox?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Knuckles, did Rad Fab give you any fitting instructions?

Just mocking up the airbox base today to see if it will even come close to fitting (it's going F_ing hard IMO.

I've done some clearing work to my fan shroud I wished I hadn't had to considering I don't know if the intake pipes can even be made to work.

Do these bolt points look to be the correct ones for the Radius airbox?
Hey Marko,
You're further along than me with the airbox, all I have done is unpack it and lovingly caress it a few times, as well as sit it roughly on top of my existing airbox before deciding I needed to move everything before I even thought about putting it in.
No, mine didn't come with any instructions- I was hoping at least some of the holes would line up, which by looking at yours they do appear to although I am surprised they didn't make the mounts to suit the big holes. Maybe they do for those with the tall skinny radiator?
One of the reasons I got myself a nutsert tool was in case the holes on this job didn't line up, yours looks bloody close to the radiator! What dramas are you having with the intake? I have a low mount turbo and I have ordered a 90deg 4" alloy elbow and some silicon joiners, I am hoping that will be enough to make it work...

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
974 Posts
Hey Marko,
You're further along than me with the airbox, all I have done is unpack it and lovingly caress it a few times, as well as sit it roughly on top of my existing airbox before deciding I needed to move everything before I even thought about putting it in.
No, mine didn't come with any instructions- I was hoping at least some of the holes would line up, which by looking at yours they do appear to although I am surprised they didn't make the mounts to suit the big holes. Maybe they do for those with the tall skinny radiator?
One of the reasons I got myself a nutsert tool was in case the holes on this job didn't line up, yours looks bloody close to the radiator! What dramas are you having with the intake? I have a low mount turbo and I have ordered a 90deg 4" alloy elbow and some silicon joiners, I am hoping that will be enough to make it work...
Yeah I was quite impressed with how it lines up with the existing captive nuts for the OE airbox.

Glad? To hear it wasn't just me missing destructions then.

My dramas are because I'm taking a punt making the 4.2 airbox work with the ZD30. Had to cut the shroud and going to have a fab shop rearrange the lid to give me more space. Also going to have them drop the outlet to 3in :(.
A real shame cause this airbox is nice gear. Then again it's got a job to do and it needs to fit.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yeah I was quite impressed with how it lines up with the existing captive nuts for the OE airbox.

Glad? To hear it wasn't just me missing destructions then.

My dramas are because I'm taking a punt making the 4.2 airbox work with the ZD30. Had to cut the shroud and going to have a fab shop rearrange the lid to give me more space. Also going to have them drop the outlet to 3in :(.
A real shame cause this airbox is nice gear. Then again it's got a job to do and it needs to fit.
Yeah mines an-ex ZD, I’m hoping I can make the 4” fit. Shame you have to modify it so much, my backup plan is to move the whole thing backwards, snorkel outlet hole, attachment points and all. If I have to hopefully it can be done without modding the airbox itself.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got a bit done today! I managed to get hold of some old ally signs as a building material and some more steel, so I think I have everything I need now to get started. After a bit of a think, I decided I would make the storage box in two parts, out of two different materials: one for the battery (steel) and one for other junk (ally).
Reasoning is 1) I would like to build the whole thing out of the ally to save weight, but I am worried it won’t be strong enough to support the battery- it is pretty thin. Also I lack the gear and knowledge to weld it. So the battery compartment will be steel as it is stronger and I can weld support brackets etc. to it underneath.
(2) The hole it will sit in is narrower towards the front, and taller at the back. I want to maximise use of the space.
Building materials and the void after I have removed a couple more brackets:
F528498D-B77E-44AB-817C-C53081BC189A.jpeg 74649192-6F74-4C04-8C15-E8F8DCF0F29E.jpeg 74649192-6F74-4C04-8C15-E8F8DCF0F29E.jpeg

The CAD part of the job was easier than I thought and worked well to get an idea of how it would fit.
61BB1BF4-BED0-4B94-8FB0-4B161A630EAC.jpeg 652D987E-0293-476C-BDAC-3A1B96571638.jpeg 7E83FE2C-8C90-49F1-A2B5-B0627B91CE4B.jpeg 64F4836E-F01D-464A-B007-E3052B012C4D.jpeg 48099F05-20D6-4E9B-9811-237F8D7D6800.jpeg 943E5003-0E49-49E3-91E9-B5D3CACF05AF.jpeg

I have to go away this weekend so won’t get much else done, but results so far are encouraging.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts