Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, not sure what I may have altered, but hit about 500mm of water at some speed the other night in the floods up here. scared the crap out of me! Still drives fine, but can see the tyre wear on the front tyres has changed. Its picking up on the outside edges a bit, more on the LH side. Just checked toe and it has about 3mm toe out. Most vehicles I have had have about 2-3mm toe in, anyone got the specs on the patrol?
Also, I assume to adjust toe in there is no need to remove tie rod ends from arms, but loosen lock bolts and rotate the steering arm tube one way or the other. Did see tie rod ends advertised and LH side has LH thread by the looks of it.

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
If your car was toeing out 3mm it would be wearing the inside edge of the tyres not the outside. Go and get a proper wheel alignment so you can see what's really going on.

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was wearing the inside slightly, but that seems pretty normal, especially on the LH. Gave it a touch of tow in this afternoon, and now it doesnt follow the road contours anywhere near as much, but now has a shake at around 75-90km/hr:confused:Intersting what a couple of mm of toe can do. Will keep a keen eye on the tyres and see what they are doing. I have had more bad experiences than good with wheel allignments. Very few people actually know what they are doing it seems and I try to stay well away unless I cant fix it;)

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
it was wearing the inside slightly, but that seems pretty normal, especially on the LH. Gave it a touch of tow in this afternoon, and now it doesnt follow the road contours anywhere near as much, but now has a shake at around 75-90km/hr:confused:Intersting what a couple of mm of toe can do. Will keep a keen eye on the tyres and see what they are doing. I have had more bad experiences than good with wheel allignments. Very few people actually know what they are doing it seems and I try to stay well away unless I cant fix it;)
Just don't go to a tyre shop. Any decent suspension shop will be able to do it easily and will be far more accurate then a home job.

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The specs for toe are
minimum 0 mm
maximum 2 mm
nominal 1 mm

Regards Don
Thanks Don, this is what I was after. Moved it back to abot 2mm this am and been for a long drive in the wet just now, all good, driving much more betterer:cool:

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just don't go to a tyre shop. Any decent suspension shop will be able to do it easily and will be far more accurate then a home job.
Why hand over $65 for a toe in adjust when I got a tape measure two hands and a spanner:D

if it needs camber work, then I will consider paying someone to do it...

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
Hey its your tyres and your money, but I have done more wheel alignments than I care to remember and seen what happens to tyres that aren't aligned properly.

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey its your tyres and your money, but I have done more wheel alignments than I care to remember and seen what happens to tyres that aren't aligned properly.
And i have had more tyres stuffed by so called professional alligners with fancy gear than I could poke a stick at. I am pedantic, I look at my tyres about every time I walk past them, thats how I noticed a change in wear pattern in a few hundred ks. If they are wearing badly, I will follow it up. That ll do! cheers.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,110 Posts
i did my own wheel alignment for both my 4wds. all you need is to use two bars tied to both from tyres and measure the distance between them , then doing adjustment. i used to go tor so called ' professional alignment' shop, but found out their computer based gears can have problems. i have been doing this DIY for the past 6 years. never got any problems. i believe this is the most accurate way to do the toe in check/ adjustment. off course, if there are other things wrong, such as after lift, etc. you may go for check out in a a shop. however, for just toe in, a DIY job is very good, or even better.

·
Registered
nissan
207 Posts
And i have had more tyres stuffed by so called professional alligners with fancy gear than I could poke a stick at. I am pedantic, I look at my tyres about every time I walk past them, thats how I noticed a change in wear pattern in a few hundred ks. If they are wearing badly, I will follow it up. That ll do! cheers.
Must agree here. Nissan Parramatta stuffed up the wheel alignment, then said they did not do a wheel alignment, then we found the records......so then the usual, "you must have hit a gutter" bs. So asked them to do it again and fix it......after an hour they came out and confessed they did not have the skills to do it. Paid for me to got to the suspension experts down the road who did a great job. However they would not compensate me for the excessive wear their first attempt caused. Must have lost 10k + of life off the tyres due to the experts stuff up.....:(

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
What would concern me (if you measurements are correct) is how it went from 2mm toe in (if it was within spec originally) to 3mm toe out after you hit the water

You have ajusted it back to 2mm toe in but it cant change (other than if you ajust it) without something being bent

Regards Don

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What would concern me (if you measurements are correct) is how it went from 2mm toe in (if it was within spec originally) to 3mm toe out after you hit the water

You have ajusted it back to 2mm toe in but it cant change (other than if you ajust it) without something being bent

Regards Don
I agree don. I have never measured it before, it has always followed the road ruts a bit more since giving it 2" lift 30k ago, but tyre wear has been excellent so I left it alone. It sure is a solid front end, so not sure either. There is another posibility I thought of while laying in bed last night as you do. I was down the beach last week too, and when I got back to the bitumin, I dropped it out of 4L to 2H and left the front hubs locked. Down the street about 300m I could feel it winding up like it hadnt dropped out of 4. I stopped, and unlocked the hubs to the auto position, and they were quite stiff, like under load. I backed up and all was good. I also had tyres down to 20psi, and drove home 15ks at about 70 like i often do. next day I re-inflated the tyres, and spent a little time and found that if I had 4 engaged when I was on the bitumen at all, then it often did not just drop out of 4wd without reversing, especially when the hubs were manually locked. I did this several times, feeling the whole thing 'wind up" on the bitumin. Not sure if i am being clear about this, but if I dropped it out of 4 on the dirt, and then continued on without reversing, no problem. But if there was already some tension on the whole thing from being in 4wd on the bitumin, even for 5m, then it seemed to stay engaged somehow and I could feel the thing wind up and hear the tyre noise on the road increase and the friction tension. (An old mate told me he popped a few pinion teath off a fully loaded 80 series doing this once, ouch). I wonder if this is what gave me the funny looking tyre wear, and not the water incident?? Quite likely I think, but didnt think of this before as I often drive home the 15ks and use the compressor in the shed when the kids have had enough...

·
Banned
nissan
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just done over 1000km and tyre wear is excellent. It was my mucking around on the blacktop with the hubs locked that gave the strange tyre wear pattern on the inner and outer edges. I dont think hitting water changed anything after all. Sorry for the goose chase.
Adjusting the tow has helped it drive straighter, but I reckon it wanders more since the 2" lift, so perhaps a caster correction might improve that. It does dive around a bit when there is water laying in the wheel tracks on the bitumen too, but that could be tyres getting down in tread?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts