Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

GU wheels

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  PattyWgnOwen 
#1 ·
does anyone know of a (tyre? - workshop) shop in Perth that has a set of 'test' wheels and tyres to go on a 06? Reason i ask is i have a wobble in my ute at about 90Km - 100km, I have had the wheels and tyres on it balanced (twice) and had road force varience test done. The tyre shop said that they found 2 wheels that were 'slightly out'? and this 'was more than likely' causing the problem. Their suggested fix was to buy 4x new wheels. I didnt wanna spend out on new wheels to find the problem still there, Bob Jane Ossy Park used to have 4 test wheels/tyres way back when they had the NDC contract to eliminate a wheel and tyre issue . Ive had the front end checked with no apparant problems??

#2 ·
New tyres and a very good balanced fixed my wobble. Bob Jane did a Premium balance on mine and it work a treat. Very happy.

#4 ·
How can they have a premium balance. You mean to tell me you can take your car in for a wheel alignment but if you pay more you get a better one?

Have ya been in the mud lately. Twice i have had a bad wobble in the front end and it was from mud caked in the front rims.

#5 ·
Hi Guys, thanks for the feedback.

Yeah i was wondering about new tyres, mine are nearly due for replacement, so will get the last bit of life outa them, then see how we go.
I tried Bob Jane (cannington) but they said their 'on car tyre balance' machine wasnt working, are any of u guys in Perth and if so anyone you can reccomend to do a decent balance?
Yeah thought about the mud issue, had it with my old bronco, but cleaned em all up so muds not tha cause this time.

Would a new (h/d) steering damper have any effect, i notice when going over rough bits in the road the steering becomes unsettled with an increase in tha wobbles. Its only got the standard one on from new?

Also doesnt seem to wobble as much when under accelleration, mainly when just cruising at a constant speed.??

#9 ·
Hey Jethro,

Have a good search on here mate, there is a MOUNTAIN of stuff written on here about front end shakes on Nissan Patrols from 80km/h to 110km/h mate, if there is not 10 different threads i reckon you will find 15 on this very subject.

Dont be surprised if the wobble gets limited with new tyres, if it does it will be because the tyres are absorbing the wobble till they scrub out. then they will be knackered.

Everything from rooted tyres, (you noted that they are due a change) (did it do it before? how long have you owned the car?)

To crappy panard rod bushes, loose wheel bearings, steering damper, Old knackered shocks, drag link or tie rod end worn?

All of the above should be checked BEFORE you give some wally your hard earned for a new set of rims. Nissan Alloy rims are tough mate, very unlikely to be your problem imho. Will be too bloody late when you lash out $1000+ for new rims to find the problem is there 6 months later when your tyres scrub out, bet they wont give you your cash back then.

After going through the ringer and a couple of sets of tyres i finally threw the book out with the wheel alignment settings from factory cause they are not set for the camber of Aussie roads.

I fitted a set of Offset King Pin bearings for the left front side to adjust the camber (not caster) by 1 to 1.5 degrees and did another wheel alignment.

PATROL - Safe T Steer

My GU IV now runs straight and true, no signs of scrubbing out, no side pull, no vibrations. One of the best mods i have done to my car.

Have a search mate.

#11 ·
Cheers Mud Runner (and all) yeah I have read lots and still tralling thru the threads re wobbles as yes there ares so manny, lotsa interesting reading and dfifferent cures.

Ive had the ute for a few months so not a long time and it has done it ever since i picked it up , i got the car yard to do a balance as part of 'the things i want fixed' b4 i bought it, but it still did it so i just thought they did an el cheapo balance and knowing these can be a problem thought i would get it done myself (again) so i went down the 'premium balance' that included the road force varience test, fixed it slightly but not much!

I have checked the front end, all the bushes, and the wheel bearings feel ok, also had a mechanic check it out and he said all seemed fine...

My next step is to find a place in perth that does 'on wheel' balances or at least doesnt use the 'cone - centre' balancer, find a decent suspension place that knows nissans or wait till i replace the tyres and see what happens.

Any one with a reccomendation for Perth suspension or tyre shops would be appreciated, reading one of the threads sumone suggested Tyrepower in Kenwick, went there but they sent ,me to bob jane cannington who told me their on wheel balancer was broken and they cant find anyone to fix it. so back to square 1. will try ringing around once everyones back at work.

Yeah i agree that to fork out $$ for rims may be a waste of $$ !

Checkd out that link to safe t steer will keep that handy cheers. will find the problem eventually im sure. arghhhh !

#12 ·
I have had and driven three differnt patrols - they all shake?
Brand new BFG's on the lat patro lwere the worst.
The bigger the tyres the more problems you will have?
Was told once that the tyre companies purposely do not make the tyres symetrical to keep tyre noise down and prevent drumming of the tread. The bigger the profile, thee more weight needed to balance, and the harder it is to control speed wobbles?
If you buy 20 inch wheels and low profile tyres they say that the problem is far less of an issue???
Live with the wobbles and don't drive at 80-90km/hr????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.