Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening Gentlemen,

I come to you tonight after a couple months of frustration: my 2002 GUII will not start. I will work through this in a logical order to help you assist me with diagnosis.

General Information
Manufactured: 12/01
Odometer: 254,056
NADS: Not fitted.
NATS: Light cycling normally.
Other points: General lack of power over the last year or so.

Background to my current predicament
I was driving uphill toward the Brisbane CBD when the engine cut out approximately 300m after a set of lights; however, this had never previously been an issue. After pulling over to the left lane in neutral, I was able to crank the engine and successfully after a couple of tries but when I was successful, it seemed as if it were suffering from fuel starvation. Familiar so far? After the trip home on a flatbed courtesy of RACQ, it sat on the driveway for a few days. When I had the spare time, I tried the manual fault code technique and began drawing 0505s consistently which didn't do much for me. At this point, the battery had completely died.

Fast forward another month and I have changed the battery, redrawn the codes and have consistently received 1401s. When I tried to clear the fault codes, the paperclip hit another point, sparked and now I do not have any dash lights anymore. I was expecting to hit the 07 series of fault codes but evidently not. The NATS dash light was cycling like it should have and I tried a technique to resynch the key to the barrel–just incase–and now this particular battery is not cranking with the fervour it previously had either!

I have reached my technical limit and wits end now, I fear! I have not had the money for an ECUTALK–let alone a mechanic–however; after a recommendation for a mechanic and this, I need to bite the bullet. Until I can get the time off work and a car trailer and mate to drop me off, is there anything else I can do to assist with diagnosis/ensuring I do not simply get a ‘yep, your IP is rooted…’ within 2 seconds? I have too much money invested in this car to simply sell it, let alone wreck it.

All questions/feedback are welcome.

Regards,

Karl

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,276 Posts
Good evening Gentlemen,

I come to you tonight after a couple months of frustration: my 2002 GUII will not start. I will work through this in a logical order to help you assist me with diagnosis.

General Information
Manufactured: 12/01
Odometer: 254,056
NADS: Not fitted.
NATS: Light cycling normally.
Other points: General lack of power over the last year or so.

Background to my current predicament
I was driving uphill toward the Brisbane CBD when the engine cut out approximately 300m after a set of lights; however, this had never previously been an issue. After pulling over to the left lane in neutral, I was able to crank the engine and successfully after a couple of tries but when I was successful, it seemed as if it were suffering from fuel starvation. Familiar so far? After the trip home on a flatbed courtesy of RACQ, it sat on the driveway for a few days. When I had the spare time, I tried the manual fault code technique and began drawing 0505s consistently which didn't do much for me. At this point, the battery had completely died.

Fast forward another month and I have changed the battery, redrawn the codes and have consistently received 1401s. When I tried to clear the fault codes, the paperclip hit another point, sparked and now I do not have any dash lights anymore. I was expecting to hit the 07 series of fault codes but evidently not. The NATS dash light was cycling like it should have and I tried a technique to resynch the key to the barrel–just incase–and now this particular battery is not cranking with the fervour it previously had either!

I have reached my technical limit and wits end now, I fear! I have not had the money for an ECUTALK–let alone a mechanic–however; after a recommendation for a mechanic and this, I need to bite the bullet. Until I can get the time off work and a car trailer and mate to drop me off, is there anything else I can do to assist with diagnosis/ensuring I do not simply get a ‘yep, your IP is rooted…’ within 2 seconds? I have too much money invested in this car to simply sell it, let alone wreck it.

All questions/feedback are welcome.

Regards,

Karl
Fuse 28 is more then likely the fuse that has blown.

Have you check the fuel filter?

·
Registered
nissan
2,994 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, 1401 is a NATS related code, though I can't tell you what it actually means (only that it's flagged by NATS).

I can tell you with certainty though that 0505 means there are no stored fault codes (0505 == No Error).

Does it crank fine but just doesn't fire? Given the codes and my very limited experience I would suggest perhaps NATS is preventing it from starting rather than it being a terminal IP problem.

Silly question - Have you tried a spare key? If you have one available that is.

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll check that Fuse 28 out, thank you.

The fuel filter was changed in January and only has about 100kms to it. I only knew the odometer reading in my OP because I have a dodgy servicing board in texta on my garage fridge, haha. For what it is worth, my fuel line may have a minor air leak behind the filter, as it has not been an uncommon requirement to prime it on a daily basis. I understand, of course, that this does not directly affect the lines forward of the filter, but it is definitely not a fuel leak.

I have not tried a spare key as I do not have one. The battery in the key has not gone flat, but it does have the range of a thing that has no range. The engine cranks fine–though after a few attempts the battery needs to get on a trickle charger I think.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
nissan
711 Posts
Apart from the fact that you say the nats lights is cycling normally this sounds similar to something that happened to me about a month back. Drove home from work on a Monday, all good. Go to start on Tuesday and it turns but won't start. I managed to get the car started after a while but similar sort of issue it ran rough and felt like it was starving for fuel before it died after about 10 seconds. Eventually I noticed my nats light was on solid whenever the key was turned to the 3 position. Out came the cold chisel and a hammer and off came the nats module from the back of the ip. Hooked up the fuel cut solenoid and she starts first go as usual. Haven't had a single problem since.

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[...]Out came the cold chisel and a hammer and off came the nats module from the back of the ip. Hooked up the fuel cut solenoid and she starts first go as usual. Haven't had a single problem since.
Well beyond my level of expertise! I bought the GU as a project car to get me back into doing mechanical things, but baby steps, haha.

Incidentally, does anyone know if RACQ have fault readers that are OBDII/not really OBDII compliant?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Incidentally, does anyone know if RACQ have fault readers that are OBDII/not really OBDII compliant?
Im sure if you put your hand up nicely someone in the brisvegas area can hook their ecutalk up to it and read the codes. Will take less than 2 minutes.

Theres many members up your way.;)

·
Registered
nissan
711 Posts
Well beyond my level of expertise! I bought the GU as a project car to get me back into doing mechanical things, but baby steps, haha.

It took some brass ones to hack into a 2000$ ip but it's not hard. I would definitely rule out other causes first but if this is your problem your going to have to bite the bullet.

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im sure if you put your hand up nicely someone in the brisvegas area can hook their ecutalk up to it and read the codes. Will take less than 2 minutes.

Theres many members up your way.;)
Well, can everyone consider this me politely putting my hand up and requesting the aid of someone with an ECUTALK? I'll have a cold beer ready and waiting and can pay fuel money. I'm in the McDowall area, so please PM if this is feasible and we can discuss from there. I'm really trying to rule out everything else first.

Reactions: motomuzz

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
I'm interested in this mod you have done to your injector pump... Seems my injector pump has same problem. My zd30 takes ages to start and runs a bit rough and wit rev

·
Registered
310 Posts
have you tried using aerostart to get start the engine?

i'm having similar issues but she will turn over after a few attempts.
I will be installing a lift pump to help identify any leaks in the fuel line which started after a fuel filter change.
I've already replaced the crank angle sensor as it showed up on the mechanics computer.

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally had time to get the GU to the mechanics and—surprise, surprise—IP has failed with crud being found in the inlet as well. They are also going to check my tanks for me as well. Well, this way it will be good to go again when I get back from work in a couple of months!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts