Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been almost half a forum on this but i was talking to a bloke today and he might be on to something... :eek:

The info:
1. Top of both panhards are connected to the drivers side of the chassis
2. 2" lift all round
3. There is only out by 15-20mm (diagonal length) from bolt to hole in bush once you try putting the panhard back on

Even if the cabin of the car was out of alignment from the chassis by 10mm to the passenger side, once you hit any bump that requires the suspension to do its job it will try and settle the cabin over the chassis agian but cant because of the marginally short panhards. so it pushes back to where the rods say to go.... now the wobbles start! :mad:

So, with the dodgy explanation done... Would it be viable to replace the standard panhards with adjustables, let the car find its own center and adjust the rods to match the bolt?

thoughts?

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
I personally doubt it. Panhards certainly aren't short in the GQ/GU. Alot of modern Solid Axles have panhards hinged on opposite sites of the chassis, for what reason I do not know, but this would have more to do with the way the vehicle drives than any fighting between the front or rear causing the wobble.

Just have to watch the wiggle occuring for you to see that its got nothing to do with the body or which way the panhards are dragging the vehicle. It is caused by something being out of specification in the suspension or steering. Either something not done up properly, a soft/worn bushing, slack in bearings, tie rod/drag link/steering box play, incorrect wheel alignment, bad tyres, rims etc etc etc...

Here's some videos of what happens when it gets extreme:

YouTube - Ford F-250 "Death Wobble"
YouTube - Death Wobble

here you can see the high frequency vibration which occurs throughout the panhard/steering linkages:
YouTube - jeep beginning of death wobble (axle view)

·
Registered
nissan gu
84 Posts
Use the adjustable panhards to centre the diffs to the chassis, get the castor right, an alignment and balance and dampener in good cond. and providing wheel and pivot bearings are spot on the wobbles should be gone.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
449 Posts
I just done about a 2.5" lift. Had to do panhards, control arms, brake lines, castor, drag link.

·
Registered
nissan
1,089 Posts
Adjustable Panhards will not fix Nissan death wobbles
The first thing is check wheel balance.
Then Panhard rod bushes
Wheel bearings
then Tierod ends
Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts