Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have a 2003 March build ZD30 (original engine). Had minor repairs... injector oil seals....air flow sensor (x2).... oil catch can.... etc nothing major. Its been reliable and I have been very happy with it over the last 11/12years but now i am on a road trip towing my camper and i can feel a definite drop in power. I think she is getting tired... 445,000km aint bad. So as $ is a challenge I am now looking for options.

Like most of you (i would think) I have many things that I personally have fitted to the car... electrics and drawers and cage at the back and racks and and and and that took a great deal of time to to fit and makes the car so likeable to drive and get away in so I am loath to go through all that again on a new (preowned) one let alone another brand.

My previous car was also a GU Patrol 2.8 so i just unbolted and rebolted the racks and smart bar and lights etc...... maybe i need to do the same again or???

I was speaking to someone yesterday who had a 2002 GU he bought with a 351 holden V8. It does 20litres/100km. I like my Auto 3litre unladen driving like the proverbial old man... i can do 11.5litre/100 or normally with A/C 13.5/100 or towing 14-15/100. SO I like that and am jealous of the Toyota Prado 8/100 (if thats true?) so 20litres per 100 doesn't grab me but the power does.

So good people.... suggestions are appreciated.

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
Sorry cant help much because I just spat my rum on the bar at the fact one just made it past 300000km

·
Registered
nissan
498 Posts
Wow, that is a good run out of a ZD! Kind of laughs in the face of all the knockers!
Thought of TD42T transplant?

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
A rebuild perhaps?!
Full nads
UNI chip
Exhaust
Dawes/needle valve
And another 400thou of happy motoring!

·
Registered
nissan
95 Posts
Mines got 477 thousand km nd since I just worked out a problem it's going like a champion again.
Is your car using oil? If not I would seriously look at a new genuine MAF that fixed all my dramas I had a feeling that was the problem all along

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Great tip Bones. A new MAF is about as simple as a potential fix could be. MrD, maybe try cleaning your MAF first? Buy some contact cleaner, whip the MAF out, clean it up (be sure to not push a rag into it, cleaning the MAF is a hands-off job - my apologies if you already know this).

Keep us informed, I guarantee you there's a lot of people watching this topic... and thanks for posting it.

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
well since this is in general tech..................

1.offer it to a nissan museum as the only grenade that hasn't blown

2. report outstanding reliability to Guinness Book of records or

3.delete thread and stop teasing all the other grenade owners
:D :) :D :)

but seriously go and buy a lotto ticket tomorrow coz you are one of the chosen few

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your kind words, heckling words ? and wisdom.
Bones, 477 then you cleaned the MAF? May I show my ignorance by asking what is a or the MAF?

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh by the way now up to 434.000 going up Thunderbolts Way towards Armadale for the night. She got warm2/3 scale going up the mountain pulling the camper ?. A little more power would have been useful.
Anyway just reaching the top now.
The 4.2 suggestion is interesting also. Does one need to change gear ratios etc for that?

·
Registered
nissan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just googled MAF. If it is the sensor which is inserted into the air intake which costs about $370.... I just replaced it again a day into our road trip in Grafton. The old one was there since 280,000 when I replaced injector oil seals. Replacing the sensor did bring power back. I'm thinking maybe the power reduction may be my imagination because I used to drive the GU for work but since got a be 2litre td which flys along so maybe I'm just used to its power? So now thinking of dyno test before I do anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts