Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan/Patrol
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm sick of stripping out my diff plugs with 12mm "inny" hole using a breaker bar (not tight fit) every time I change the oil. From reading advice I think ratchet gun is my best bet.

However, does anyone know if either or both the filler and drain plugs are available with an "outty" square plug, such as one of the transfer case plugs (forget which one)????

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
The inny plug you speak of is a 1/2" drive size not 12mm. Just a simply 1/2 breaker bar will get them undone, and done up with zero chance of stripping them.

The reason they are made like this is so you dont go wiping out the plug on rocks and other off road bits and pieces such as happens on toyota's frequently with their 24mm plug.

The square plug is the drain on the transfer case, and I actually have no idea why this plug even exists. Both the gearbox drain and fill plugs are 1/2" internal drive. If anything it is just an annoyance having to actually go and get a shifter do undo this one when everything else is 1/2" internal.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Hey guys, I'm sick of stripping out my diff plugs with 12mm "inny" hole using a breaker bar (not tight fit) every time I change the oil. From reading advice I think ratchet gun is my best bet.

However, does anyone know if either or both the filler and drain plugs are available with an "outty" square plug, such as one of the transfer case plugs (forget which one)????
Maybe next time don't do it up so tight and use a non-hardening sealant.

Works for me.

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
I read on this forum a few weeks ago that patrol drain/fill plugs had a 13mm square recess to remove/refit them, everybody I know uses a 1/2 in tool. I've never seen a 13mm sq drive and I've always been able to undo the tight ones using a long breaker bar. In many plugs the 1/2 in tool is a sloppy fit so there may be some truth in the 13mm story, when refitting I use a turn or two of Teflon tape and do the plugs up firmly, not as tight as possible, after all they have a tapered thread!

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Mine were in so tight the 1/2 bar I have used on every other vehicle I have owned had no chance, I was actually frightened of rounding them out, till I found out they were 13mm, searched and found a set of plug tools on Ebay with metric squares for anything. Stuck it on a breaker bar and presto out it popped, easy peasy, just need to use the right tool.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Yep I think you'd be right. I can't imagine the Japs changing to an imperial size for one part.

I have never had any trouble but it isn't a tight fit with a 1/2" drive. It would however only take doing it up way too tight once to cause issues.

This happened to a mate. We just got the plug loose but it was 90% rounded out. It was virtually useless and being a Sunday getting a replacement wasn't an option. Nor was waiting until Monday as we wanted to go for a fourby today.

Once out we cleaned it down and I welded on a 14 or 15mm nut. Can't remember exactly. Which ever size is just smaller than the diameter of the plug. This got us on our way and my mate said he would get a new one the next day. Two years later it is still there after more changes. My mate says it's easier.

Just a question about the thread tape idea. Is thread tape oil resistant?

·
Registered
Nissan/Patrol
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for replies guys. Yep agree the not so tight fit of the 1/2" is compounded with doing up a bit too tight previously.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts