Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, I know this has been talked about plenty before, and I've gone back and read all the old threads surrounding the topic, but just can't quite find the answer I'm looking for. So I'll ask the question even though some people will complain and tell me to use the search function.

Will a 4WD Systems LOKKA, the auto locker that replaces only the spider gears, from a h233B fit into a h233?

I am under the impression that it will, since from what I've read the differences are in the R&P bolt patterns and size, and how deep the diff sits in the housing, nothing about the spider centre is mentioned as being different, and on the 4WD Systems website, their listed rear locker for any year MQ/MK is supposedly for a h233B, making me think it's the same part number for both diffs (they don't list part numbers anywhere on their website, but from what I see they're likely the same).
(I should also mention mine is an LSD centre)

Reason I ask is I have in the wagon at the moment 4.11 gears with a H260 rear, but I'd like to use the 4.375 gears out of the parts ute for better overall driving on the 33's, and to do that I'll need to swap the 260 for the 233 from the ute. I'm perfectly happy to do this since it is common knowledge that the pinion shaft is the first thing that breaks on both diffs (and is the same size), so having the bigger 260 is not much use to me, especially given the taller gearing and smaller clearance. I already plan on getting a locker for the front, and if I'm going to go with the 233, I may as well get one for the rear as well. No, I can't afford a manual locker, otherwise I'd go with the available arb air locker for the 233, so the auto lockers will have to do for now.
Product Font Screenshot Output device Circle

Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
Have you checked the axle spline count and diameter is the same between the 233 and 233B?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
Found this on mq patrol wiki site

My interpretation is you would need to use a lokka for a front 233b to get the axle spline and diameter correct

Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found this on mq patrol wiki site

My interpretation is you would need to use a lokka for a front 233b to get the axle spline and diameter correct

Yep that makes sense, do you think the one lokka have advertised as per my image above would be the right one?

Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
Yep that makes sense, do you think the one lokka have advertised as per my image above would be the right one?
no, it says its for a rear 233b. To get the spline count and size right you need one for a front 233b out of a gq or gu

Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, it says its for a rear 233b. To get the spline count and size right you need one for a front 233b out of a gq or gu
Hmm, odd that they would advertise it as the rear locker for an MQ then, but better safe than sorry, if I order one sometime, I鈥檒l order a front gq/gu one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
Hmm, odd that they would advertise it as the rear locker for an MQ then, but better safe than sorry, if I order one sometime, I鈥檒l order a front gq/gu one

Probably the same part number as a front gq/gu. Maybe you could check.

Why dont you just tweake the factory LSD??

Reactions: Ethanissan

I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.

And get the Lokka for the front.

Registered
nissan
I doubt I would like a Lokka in the rear. The clacking when turning would soon get annoying.
My front Lokka turned up today so let me know if you want any particular pics or measurements..

Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

And get the Lokka for the front.
Yep, I already plan on getting one for the front first, I was just thinking since I鈥檓 doing the whole diff swap I may as well get one for the rear as well and have the whole package, but if adding a shim to the LSD makes it close enough to locked that it鈥檒l chirp tyres around corners like people say, maybe I鈥檒l just do that.
I don鈥檛 think I鈥檇 get annoyed with the clicking, the car is squeaky and rattly enough that I鈥檓 not sure I鈥檇 notice it

Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
All MQ/MK rear diffs were 31 spline axle, except for H260 which was 37.
Given the lokka replaces the carrier and spiders, pinion gears don't matter to my understanding. So anything listed for MQ or MK should fit regardless if they were 2pi open, 4pi open or 4pi LSD.

as @rgren2 and @JFF45 mentioned, a mech locker in the rear is less than ideal. I wouldn't have one, the Nissan clutch pack LSD is good thing especially once its shimmed up. With a front locker I doubt you'll need anything more. Even if the ratcheting click from the locker doesn't bother you, I'd imagine the affect on the steering will given that MQ/MK LWB aren't exactly the pinnacle of maneuverability as it is.

Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All MQ/MK rear diffs were 31 spline axle, except for H260 which was 37.
Given the lokka replaces the carrier and spiders, pinion gears don't matter to my understanding. So anything listed for MQ or MK should fit regardless if they were 2pi open, 4pi open or 4pi LSD.

as @rgren2 and @JFF45 mentioned, a mech locker in the rear is less than ideal. I wouldn't have one, the Nissan clutch pack LSD is good thing especially once its shimmed up. With a front locker I doubt you'll need anything more. Even if the ratcheting click from the locker doesn't bother you, I'd imagine the affect on the steering will given that MQ/MK LWB aren't exactly the pinnacle of maneuverability as it is.
Alright, it seems I鈥檝e been convinced to just shim up the Nissan LSD and go with a front locker, but if that鈥檚 the case, should I just stick with the 4.11鈥檚 and the h260? From what I understand it has the potential of being a better lsd than the 233 once shimmed, but I really would like the 4.3 gears with the 33鈥檚 and the sd33t. The good thing about the 260 i guess is I can get a 4.375 ratio in a GU model, so there鈥檚 a chance I can gear it better.

If I was to keep the 260, would I be able to make a GU factory locker centre work in my housing?
Doesn鈥檛 help my clearance issue with how big the pumpkin is though.

Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
Alright, it seems I鈥檝e been convinced to just shim up the Nissan LSD and go with a front locker, but if that鈥檚 the case, should I just stick with the 4.11鈥檚 and the h260? From what I understand it has the potential of being a better lsd than the 233 once shimmed, but I really would like the 4.3 gears with the 33鈥檚 and the sd33t. The good thing about the 260 i guess is I can get a 4.375 ratio in a GU model, so there鈥檚 a chance I can gear it better.

If I was to keep the 260, would I be able to make a GU factory locker centre work in my housing?
Doesn鈥檛 help my clearance issue with how big the pumpkin is though.

As far as I know GU stuff will work in the H260, but I am not an expert.
Aside from ratio and the addition of an LSD I think it is the same diff with the same size 37 spline axles right from G60 to GU

Reactions: Ethanissan

Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As far as I know GU stuff will work in the H260, but I am not an expert.
Aside from ratio and the addition of an LSD I think it is the same diff with the same size 37 spline axles right from G60 to GU
Yep, pretty sure that鈥檚 right, because Dad鈥檚 recently bought a project farm Ute, a 1984 MK, with a h260 rear, and it has 4.6 gears. Obviously 4.6鈥檚 never came out in MK 260s so the diff centre has been swapped with a gq or gu centre.

Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok so I've decided to keep going with my route of swapping the 4.3 ute c200 and 233 into the wagon, I know the 260 is a hell of a diff, and I will keep it to the side just in case, but for the very small amount power I'm making, the extra size of the diff in my head doesn't offset the benefit that the extra clearance and lower gear ratios will give me. If I had a manual locker for the 260 I'd keep it in, but I don't, so I need any benefit I can get while 4wding.

Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Step 1: done... after much hard work, and a few cuts and bruises. But that's life when you've got a hobby like this eh?
Tire Plant Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Step 2 will be cleaning up the housings tomorrow, going to get some degreaser, carwash and the pressure washer and go ham.
Also going to make sure all wheel bearings, kingpins etc. are nice and firm, and don't need servicing. Then I'll likely pull out the rear diff and put in a shim, and order a Lokka for the front. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to arrive.

Then step 3, they'll both get plonked under the wagon, and it should drive better on the road, and have more clearance under the diff plus a better low range when off the road. Win-win in my books, only downside is that I lose the strength of the 260, luckily the 233 is still an awesome diff, better than any landcruiser diff, and as I mentioned previously I'll never break it with the little SD33T in front of it.

Registered
nissan
My Lokka took a month to arrive but I didn鈥檛 need it before the new year anyway.
Give me a shout if you want a hand with it.

Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My Lokka took a month to arrive but I didn鈥檛 need it before the new year anyway.
Give me a shout if you want a hand with it.
Thanks for that, I'll be putting the locker in the 4.3 before it goes into the car, so it shouldn't be too hard. Did you order yours online or over the phone? Or was it through an external source?

Registered
nissan
I rang them first on 29 Nov to enquire about delivery times and was told they could ship around mid Dec for maybe delivery in the new year. It turned out they shipped on 24 Dec but arrived before the new year anyway.

I ordered online where you go through the vehicle make, model, year, which diff, etc choices so its correctly recorded. Probably better than trusting someone to jot it down. You get an email confirmation with the details then you hear nothing from them until you get the shipping advice from Toll.

That leaves you time to order all the others bits you need like seals, gasket, oil, etc

1 - 20 of 22 Posts