Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just thought I’d make a quick info thread on the differences and interchangeable parts between the h260 and h233 that I’ve found while taking both apart to build up the 233.
More to follow
For anyone who’s accidentally found their way here from other sections, this ONLY applies to MQ/MK patrol diffs, and may not be correct for GQ/GU versions of the diffs, as they are different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Firstly, the axle tube diameter of both diffs is the same, so unlike their GQ/GU counterparts, the actual housing of the h260 is not any stronger than that of the 233.

This also means that leaf hangar u-bolts are interchangeable and you don’t need new ones for a diff conversion.

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brake lines on each diff are identical. On the H260, which has a bigger centre, the brake line follows the lines of the diff tighter, and because the h233 uses the same line, it hangs above the centre more.

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both diffs have identical axle mounts on the ends of the housings, the bolt patterns are the same and so brakes are interchangeable. Axles, however, are not, as it is common knowledge that the h260 is a 37 spline axle, whereas the h233 is a 31 spline axle.

This also means that axle seals are identical, as well as all other parts that don’t relate to the centre or axle splines

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wheel bearings and the rest of the hub assembly is the same

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The axles themselves are exactly the same diameter up until you get to the splines, so the only stronger part is about the 260 axles is the spline count meaning that the splined section is a larger diameter. H260 axles could in theory be machined down into h233 axles however.

·
Registered
1985 SD33T MK LWB Wagon
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All brake parts are identical and interchangeable. Top is h233, bottom is h260.

·
Registered
Nissan
118 Posts
Great thread and information, thanks.

Would you have the bearing numbers or dimensions of the pinion bearings for the H260. I have a bit of sideways play on my pinion and some internal rattle as I come off the throttle.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts