Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ive had a minor knock in the rear for the past couple of weeks, with the annual easter trip coming up fast i though i should pull my finger out and have a look. nothing major, just rear swar bar 'd's are done for. though sweet, ill have a look over the front while im at it.

out of the corner of my eye i spot a problem with the front brake line to the top of the diff. ITS ABOUT TO BURST. at the top end just below the fitting its ballooned and smack bang in the middle too. F me, not sure how long that would have been before the line blew and i run out of brakes.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,990 Posts
Good find Trav. That could have led to a nasty surprise, especially with the car loaded up for a trip.

Time for some braided lines!

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you got it mate. going to pull it out tomorrow and get a braided line made. i dont even know what made me look at the front but im glad i did

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Any ideas as to what has caused it? just old age or one of those dreaded sharp pointed sticks?

·
Registered
nissan
1,818 Posts
That's a good find now where all going to check them just in case. Had my brakes fail once in a cruiser lucky it was on a straight gravel road I was slowing down for a dip it went spongy then nothing glad I had a diesel and used a bit of hand brake.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
absolutely no idea what caused it. it had ballooned at one of the crimp fittings and smack bang in the middle. ill have a good look at it when i pull it out

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,990 Posts
I'd be interested to see a pic of it when you pull it out.

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
Sometimes when fitting lifted springs the front axle will be allowed to drop until the brake line stops it. Easy mistake to make - and sometimes reveals itself immediately with a leak. Don't ask me how I know.....and this was a braided line.

It's possible that it could take months or years for the damage to show on a rubber hose.

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
absolutely no idea what caused it. it had ballooned at one of the crimp fittings and smack bang in the middle. ill have a good look at it when i pull it out
I used to do a lot of work with high pressure (3000 to 5000 psi) air lines, compressors and breathing equipment. This sounds typical of the failure at the crimp fitting where pressure has made it's way back along the barb fitting and in between the layers of the hose causing the bubble in the outer sheath. As ACM suggested, that can be from over-extension pulling on it at full drop, or it could be from the angle of the hose causing it excessive bending at the fitting as the diff travels up and down.

But if it is also bubbling in the middle of the hose, that sounds like it is breaking through the inner liner of the hose and between the layers. So it is likely that your other hoses might be of the same age where they are also going to be failing some time.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
heres the line fellas. you can see one big bulge in the middle of the hose and there is another stating to the left of it in the picture. and then the bulge near the crimp fitting too.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
That's just old age.

I sincerely hope you have replaced every brake hose on the vehicle, and not just this one.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey mate. na, these were put on in late 2011 or early 2012 when i rebuilt the car. all of the other lines look good. this one i think is just a factory reject maybe. im going to get it looked at tomorrow and a new line made. but i will ask them about the other lines to and see if its worth doing that too to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
Wow, I've never seen a line age so fast!

You're right to go back to the supplier and get them to replace all of them - I wouldn't trust the others even though they look OK.

Take the opportunity to go braided.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats a very good point about trust mate. probably not a good idea to trust the other line. did it come from the same roll of rubber, has one sat on the shelf longer than the other etc...

·
Registered
892 Posts
Dual circuit brake setup would mean you should still have front brakes and most likely get a red light
After market hoses?
Looks like the internal braid has let go, change the lot.

·
Registered
9,512 Posts
I would be going straight back to the manufacturer. There is every chance it was a faulty run of hose they may or may not know about. Give them the chance to prevent issues with other vehicles that were done around the same time.
Yes I reckon that is a strong chance of a bad hose. If it was only at the crimp fitting and only one end then it is just that crimp, but to bubble up like that in the middle, is a hose problem.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Has the patrol got a lift ? If so has it got extended front & rear centre brake lines ?
Get a full set of braided brake lines 4 for the wheels & the 2 diff ones then you will have a firmer brake peddle & no worries about future hose problems.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
took the hose down today to get a new one made and they said the same as all of you guys. seems like a faulty hose. im definitely going to let the original supplier know.

i have a 2" lift and put extended lines on as at full flex the standard lines were looking like pulling out of the fittings. a 2" lift just isnt springs and shocks lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts