Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've developed this problem in my GQ Patrol(1990 RB30) lately.
When I release handbrake to take off, the handbrake indicator goes off.
Then it comes back on as I start driving. Earlier stages of this problem, this started happening as I take a turn, rather than going straight. But, now it's happening all the time and the handbrake indicator stays on full time.
Can you guys direct me on the right direction to diagnose this problem?
Thanks

Attachments

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,554 Posts
Same light is to tell you your brake fluid level is getting low, as pads wear and pistons push further out of calipers, OR if you have a leak.

Top up your brake fluid and she's all apples, and check for leaks to be on the safe side.

Edit: beaten to it!

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same light is to tell you your brake fluid level is getting low, as pads wear and pistons push further out of calipers, OR if you have a leak.

Top up your brake fluid and she's all apples, and check for leaks to be on the safe side.

Edit: beaten to it!
Brake fluid level appeared to be good. I'm suspecting a pistons pushing further out of calipers due to a stuck bolt. I'll check level again.

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,581 Posts
on mine fault was piston on brake fluid cap was stuck . try sliding in up and down few times. see how that goes

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brake fluid is fine. I'm wondering whether this has anything to do with a faulty handbrake indicator switch.
Where's the location of the handbrake switch?
Thanks guys.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GU IV
18,554 Posts
Handbrake switch is just an earth switch at the base of the handbrake itself. If you have a console it's just two M6 bolts at each end under carpet. Disconnect that (though I doubt very much it's a problem) and give it a go.

Try bridging the wires in the plug at the fluid reservoir and see if that stops it, will narrow it down anyway.

Reactions: JoeBoy

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Handbrake switch is just an earth switch at the base of the handbrake itself. If you have a console it's just two M6 bolts at each end under carpet. Disconnect that (though I doubt very much it's a problem) and give it a go.

Try bridging the wires in the plug at the fluid reservoir and see if that stops it, will narrow it down anyway.
Yep. I think you're right mate. I just topped up the brake fluid little bit more and also spray cleaned the engine. The light doesn't show up anymore.
I reckon there's a leak somewhere. I suspect the calipers, even though I haven't checked
the handbrake switch yet.
I have to see if it appears again tomorrow. I suspect it will.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
if it was originally coming on when braking or cornering then it would be a fluid level light coming on. eventually when it becomes low enough the light will come on and stay on. brake fluid will be used over time and require topping up, it doesn't necessarily mean you have a leak somewhere...

don't overthink the problem, it is probably going to be as simple as topping up the fluid

dave

·
Registered
nissan
274 Posts
Im pretty sure this can also be a vac tube that's disconnected. I had the same issue.
As you stand in front of your wagon on the right hand side there is a tube that comes off your alt and goes to a plug with 1 wire off it. Make sure there is a tube running to it.

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im pretty sure this can also be a vac tube that's disconnected. I had the same issue.
As you stand in front of your wagon on the right hand side there is a tube that comes off your alt and goes to a plug with 1 wire off it. Make sure there is a tube running to it.
Sorry mate, I didn't totally understand that. What is 'alt'?

·
Registered
nissan
274 Posts
SOrry was late at night for me.

On my 94 patrol there was a thin - maybe 5mm vacuum tube that ran from the back of the Alternator to a plug that sat on the left front pass side wheel arch. From that plug ran an Orange wire (thin, & iirc its orange) that told the system that there was vacuum pressure because when one end of the tube fell off either the alternator or the plug my hand brake light went on even tho there was plenty of fluid in the brake booster and no other issues... Took me ages to find.

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,581 Posts
and if brake fluid is low it is not sensible to just top it up. its low and telling you your pads are near replacement depth.

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SOrry was late at night for me.

On my 94 patrol there was a thin - maybe 5mm vacuum tube that ran from the back of the Alternator to a plug that sat on the left front pass side wheel arch. From that plug ran an Orange wire (thin, & iirc its orange) that told the system that there was vacuum pressure because when one end of the tube fell off either the alternator or the plug my hand brake light went on even tho there was plenty of fluid in the brake booster and no other issues... Took me ages to find.
Thanks mate. This is completely new news to me. I've been totally unaware that the vacuum lines could be connected to the alternator as well.
Mine is and RB30 Patrol. I'm pretty sure there's no vacuum line connecting to the alternator, but I have double check to be certain. I'll post the outcome soon.

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and if brake fluid is low it is not sensible to just top it up. its low and telling you your pads are near replacement depth.
Hi mate,
It was slightly low, but still was above the line that said min(mum). So, I thought that was ok, but topped up nevertheless. That didn't instantly fix the problem though. Then I spray cleaned the engine after spraying degreaser(battery disconnected, etc).
After that the brake light indicator on the dashboard hasn't been lighting up anymore.
But, the engine is slightly reluctant to idle now.
I'm suspecting a vacuum leak somewhere, so I'm on to it.
Also, there's an issue with the front brake caliper on righthand side. One of the sliding bolts of the caliper assembly is jammed and it causes one pad to wear excessively.
I'm about check it again. I've been busy with fixing the diff, I forgot about it totally.
So, the caliper needs rebuilding for sure. I'm not sure if that's the reason for brakelight indicator to stay on. But, the brakelight is not coming on now. It's been two days.
Regardless of that, the caliper needs fixing. I know that much. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts