Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol y61 2.8 td6
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody used a hand winch for recovery are they a reliable alternative or just something to keep if your electric winch breaks down I am asking because I have seen a few 4 ton winches on a popular auction site for about £25-35 and am on a budget but don't just want to throw money away if no good I know I should save up for a good electric winch
Cheers

·
Banned
2,050 Posts
Hi,

If you tip it over, use it to get back on your wheels. I have seen many cheap ones and they are just that. The problem is if you are alone stuck on a hill and a crimp of the cable fails goodbye 4wd. A Tirfor I would trust, but you wont get one cheap.

Regards B M

·
Registered
nissan
400 Posts
Another vote forr a Tirfor. I have a T508, which I will not sell. Yes, they are slow, especially when using a snatch block, yes they are hard yakka, but they work, and work well. If all else fails, a hand winch will still work. Keep it clean, and it will serve you well for years.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Has anybody used a hand winch for recovery are they a reliable alternative or just something to keep if your electric winch breaks down I am asking because I have seen a few 4 ton winches on a popular auction site for about £25-35 and am on a budget but don't just want to throw money away if no good I know I should save up for a good electric winch
Cheers
I've used one a fair few times as I couldn't justify the cost of an electric for a while.
Yes they are hard work, think of it as saving money on a gym membership.
I remember a friend bagging me about my hand winch when I got bogged. He turned his truck round, attached up his 'mighty Warn' and bang....mighty no more! Out came old reliable and it still lives in the back of my truck as it is far more versatile than one on a bull bar.

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,053 Posts
I've owned my hand winch for about five years now, have had to use about 1/2 dozen times and each time it was worth its weight in gold. Hard yakka as has been said but its way better than having nothing. I have an electric winch fitted up now but I still always take the hand winch out with me, just in case. Sheit happens out there sometimes and I have actually had to use it in combination with an electric to keep a vehicle from sliding side ways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts