Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter's partner has an issue with the handbrake on his Patrol. Not sure of the model as he's away and out of touch but the photo might help identify it.

Click image for larger version  Name:    Patrol.jpg Views:    0 Size:    230.2 KB ID:    1103965

The issue is that he pulled on the parking brake and now cannot release it. The handbrake handle will still ratchet up-and-down but with no effect and the vehicle will not move when an attempt is made to drive it ..... there is no doubt as to the effectiveness of the handbrake!!!!

I'm not familiar with this handbrake system and am yet to climb under the vehicle so I was hoping someone here can assist. Is there a way to release the parking brake in these circumstances so that it can be driven to the mechanics?

I have done an extensive search on this forum and have found similar issues with the handbrake to learn that it's a drum arrangement on the rear driveshaft but couldn't find anything identical to this issue. Gunked up and cable failure are possibilities however, not being familiar with a Patrol, I want to be aware of as much as possible before we tackle it.

Has anyone else had this issue and what did you do to solve it?

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I would say that the brake shoes are all gummed up. It can happen when the vehicle is parked up wet and/or muddy and the brake shoes bond to the drum with rust and dry mud.
The handbrake drum is on the rear drive shaft right at the back of the gearbox. I would suggest giving it a few whacks with a mallet, in between attempts to drive off. Also, use both first and reverse alternately to un seize it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say that the brake shoes are all gummed up. It can happen when the vehicle is parked up wet and/or muddy and the brake shoes bond to the drum with rust and dry mud.
The handbrake drum is on the rear drive shaft right at the back of the gearbox. I would suggest giving it a few whacks with a mallet, in between attempts to drive off. Also, use both first and reverse alternately to un seize it.

Thanks Andrew,

We'll give that a try when the owner returns. Fingers crossed.

If that's the case as you suggest, how easy is it to get the drum off to give it a clean inside? Bearing in mind we are novices in this area, how is it done?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Once you’ve got it free, you unbolt the drive shaft from the drum, then pull the drum off to expose the brake shoes.
They can be very hard to get off, especially if it is, or has been, gummed up. You just have to persevere, a mallet is your best friend for this job.
Once you have it off, it’s virtually the same setup as any other drum brake system. Clean it all up and deglaze the shoes, or replace as necessary. Put a bit of copper antiseize on the pivot points before you reassemble.

EDIT: very important - make sure you chock the wheels before attempting any work on the hand brake!!
And, if it won’t budge, make sure the handbrake is off

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once you’ve got it free, you unbolt the drive shaft from the drum, then pull the drum off to expose the brake shoes.
They can be very hard to get off, especially if it is, or has been, gummed up. You just have to persevere, a mallet is your best friend for this job.
Once you have it off, it’s virtually the same setup as any other drum brake system. Clean it all up and deglaze the shoes, or replace as necessary. Put a bit of copper antiseize on the pivot points before you reassemble.

EDIT: very important - make sure you chock the wheels before attempting any work on the hand brake!!
And, if it won’t budge, make sure the handbrake is off

Thanks again, Andrew, very helpful.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,322 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, an update. Managed to release the handbrake with a bit of judicious back-and-forth rocking in gear as suggested. It now remains free if driving forward but when we left it in a driveway sloping downwards behind us and left the car in neutral, it wouldn't roll. It's as if the handbrake was still applied.
Decided to get it to the mechanics for looking at. Will post the outcome when we find out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it was all a bit inconclusive in the end. The mechanic found some crud in the handbrake drum but not an alarming amount. He also found that the ratchet mechanism was somewhat "loose" (his words) and all components were in need of some greasing/lubrication.
It appears to be working fine for the present so fingers crossed ..................................................

·
Registered
2005 4.2td single cab telstra canopy
7 Posts
Currently dealing with a similar issue. My cause for handbrake not completely disengaging is the brake levers going to drum are catching due to rust? Much lubricant applied now getting all replaced.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts