Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
Nissan mk 84
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would cause the handbrake to need pumping to get it To engage? I have never had drum brakes before, its an 84 swb mk. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
the handbrake doesnt use the rear brakes, it is its own drum brake on the back of the gearbox. its cable operated only, i have no idea why it would work after 'pumping' (i presume you mean pull it on and off a few times). i would recommend chocking your wheels so the car cant move, pull the rear driveshaft off and pop the drum off. im guessing the problem would be obvious at this stage (worn pads, stripped thread, something broken etc). if nothing seems suss there then maybe the cable has stretched and about to break.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Pumping the handbrake ?????????

Take the plastic cover on the handbrake of
Pull the lever a few times make sure its all workin at that point
Just behind the lever youll see 2 adjusting nuts ,you can adjust your handbrake at this point
Adjust it up a bit

·
Registered
nissan patrol
651 Posts
Sounds like the cable is full of crap. I used to have to do that so I pulled the cable out of the car and spent about half hour workin crc though the sheath. Took a while but once I'd finished it was like sex.

·
Banned
Nissan mk 84
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah its intermittent and has only started happening since I went through a whole bunch of wet grass and mud so ill check all solutions, although taking the driveshaft off will be final checkpoint mainly cos it seems like a **** of a job.

Hopefully the brake is sexual prior to this

·
Banned
Nissan mk 84
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some earle morning mechanics have revealed that the cable was possibly a little stretched from my less than careful approach to using it has caused excess travel. Either way the adjusting bolt has fixed the problem for now, yes I would compare it to sex and if the problem arises again ill Suss out the other solutions. Thanks for all your input.

·
Banned
Nissan mk 84
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ach now that I have adjusted the handbrake it still works but again only after a few 'dry' pumps (to clear this up yes it means I'm pulling it up and down until it has pull). So I pulled the crankshaft off to have a look but alas being low on time and daylight I couldn't get the drum off for the life of me.

I removed the huge nut in the middle (32?) But still could not get the drum off. Is there a trick to doing this?

Also on a slightly unrelated matter (now that I know the brake systems operate independently) my foot brake is requiring a little pumping and my brake light is flickering at idle. Fluid is all good, no leaks (checked every line twice). Would leaking packing washers around the vacuum pump oil feed lines cause this? Alternator is a recon.... installed by previous owner.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
you didnt need to take that big nut off, it holds the flange to the output shaft. the drum should just slip off, it slips onto the studs which are part of the flange, its probably 'fused' to the flange (where they face each other is probably all corroded) so i would give it some taps with rubber hammer to try nudge it.

·
Banned
Nissan mk 84
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to clear up something that o noticed tonight its not actually the pumping that gets the handbrake to work its rearward roll. If I reverse a tiny bit the handbrake goes on straight away with the sexiness obtained from tightening the locknut, however if my last,motion was a forward one then its no dice on the application. I'm thinking it might be uneven wear on the pads but the only way I know for sure is to pull the drum off.

Any idea where I can get new pads/kit should I require them?

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
3,307 Posts
have you tried ringing around your local shops? REPCO, Super Crap Auto 1 blah blah blah? In the worst case scenario, you can always go to Nissan, but expect a slightly higher cost

·
Banned
Nissan mk 84
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
My driveshaft (I think its that) has developed a loud clicking sound at low speed... it doesn't do it all the time and is worse in drive then reverse... could this have anything to with removing the large nut on the handbrake drum? It makes the sound in all driving modes (4wd, high or low and 2wd) and in every gear but over about 40kph the noise stops... any ideas?

EDIT- the noise only comes on after driving the car for a little while and from what I can hear is coming from the rear wheels/diff/driveshaft and resembles creaking then clicking and occasionally squealing...

I hate drivetrain

1 - 14 of 14 Posts