Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

Being my first Patrol, Im not sure what I am looking for. I think my front axle seal has split?? Can someone confirm this for me?

·
Registered
430 Posts
" looks like you have blown a seal mate!!"

"nah, it's just frost on my moustach......."

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,054 Posts
That is only the wiper, not the seal. It is made with a split so you can get it in, over the axle housing. The grease seal is behind the wiper & has to be cut & glued back together to fit it.

·
"Remember, you're unique... just like everyone els
nissan patrol
1,593 Posts
That is only the wiper, not the seal. It is made with a split so you can get it in, over the axle housing. The grease seal is behind the wiper & has to be cut & glued back together to fit it.
X2, if the inner axle seal was blown you'd have more 'runnier' oil (ie:diff oil) running out and on that wiper if it was rooted there'd be thicker HTB 'grease' running out.

·
Registered
2001 TB48 GU Patrol
248 Posts
The grease seal is behind the wiper & has to be cut & glued back together to fit it.
Mine just stretched over I never cut and glued and seals? :S

·
Registered
nissan patrol
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The grease you can see around the knuckle was from myself. I smeared HTB grease over the ball bit.
I have read that some kits the wiper has to be broken to get it over the knuckle.

Is that what is most likely happened here?

·
Registered
nissan
625 Posts
As the others have mentioned it's only a wiper seal and the photo of your looks exactly the same as my 2010 mdl. So if it's leaking oil, then the problem is the axle seal.

·
Registered
nissan
11,202 Posts
ive done a few hub kits so far and ive never had to cut and reglue the main or wiper seals. all will stretch over the ball no dramas. id say if left it could allow water into the hub and stuff your c.v grease.
the axle seal though doenst look like its leaking cause i cant see any traces of diff oil leaking out,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts