Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tonka Trouble

Coming home from king springs today after I had her jacked up 2 inches, i notice a massive loss of power all of a sudden.
Fark what now...

The motor is idling like a pig and lots of white smoke under acceleration. Barely made it home.

How can I tell if I've blown it?

Troy cancel Saturday mate.

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
first check air inlet isnt blocked by a plastic bag or something.also check pipes from turbo to inlet manifoldhavent blown off
then try removing inlet hose just infront of turbo, wiggle the turbo shaft and check for any up and down movement (which it shouldnt have) also check for oil coming from turbo shaft seal. try spinning the shaft and see if it spins roughly or not.
also its a bit of a pain in the ass but if you could remove the dump pipe and look at the turbine wheel and check for oil around it.
also check oil return line from turbo isnt kinked or blocked

·
Registered
nissan
1,841 Posts
The motor is idling like a pig
Thats not been my experience with stuffed turbo's and usually they have a few hiccups before blowing, unless flat out on the circuit etc. Thats not to say its not the cause, just what I have found. It almost sounds more electrical than mechanical. Heaps of white smoke says an excessive fueling problem (which you should smell oil in there if turbo). Common things are common - AFM, fuses, hoses, main sensors is where I would have a look at, before taking out the ratchets and breaker bars.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just had the head replaced not long ago

·
Registered
nissan
1,729 Posts
If the block and head weren't surfaced properly then it could be the cause. I've found an engine that has blown a head gasket before is much more likely to blow one again.

But this is just guessing, have you tried filling the radiator up with water and idling with the cap off and checking if any compression is escaping into the water (as seen by bubbles)?

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ill be doing that and all things suggested this saturday.

ill print this page off

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the block and head weren't surfaced properly then it could be the cause. I've found an engine that has blown a head gasket before is much more likely to blow one again.

But this is just guessing, have you tried filling the radiator up with water and idling with the cap off and checking if any compression is escaping into the water (as seen by bubbles)?
its lucky to have 500km since new head went on

·
Registered
nissan patrol
109 Posts
could it be injector pump?

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2.8td gu st
249 Posts
hahahha no, I GOT THE CHIP DELIVERED TODAY!

oh the irony

ahh poor bugger hopefully you n your mates will get to the bottom of it,,, i dont have any suggestions but interested of outcome, hopefully something simple or a quick diagnosis...

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whilst its too dark to check my levels, i have made one observation. I went down to turn it on again and the whole truck shakes a lot more than usual and definitely sounds different.

It sounds lumpy sick. Even turning it on sounds different to what it normally sounds like.

I'm getting it towed tomorrow hopefully if Aust 4 X 4 Services can take it.

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
Whilst its too dark to check my levels, i have made one observation. I went down to turn it on again and the whole truck shakes a lot more than usual and definitely sounds different.

It sounds lumpy sick. Even turning it on sounds different to what it normally sounds like.

I'm getting it towed tomorrow hopefully if Aust 4 X 4 Services can take it.
that could be a miss (1 or more cylinders not firing properly)
caused by a head gasket leak or the likes
when checking engine oil make sure its not like a milky colour or greyish, and if the oil level is above were its meant to be thats not good either

1 - 20 of 120 Posts