Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
What Have I Done?
nissan
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a mate who's had one for some time,
the doc cut half out, hoping to heal it.
ie the half straight down the middle.
now, he's gonna go to get the other side cut outr,
he's at the point where he dont give a fk if it doesnt grow back ever,
like have a stumpy toe etc..

I had a minor one when i was younger, but i thought the nail grows back, even if you rip the guts of it out aswell,
but me mate says to the contrary..

Have you ever had one, and how severe???

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
doctor was a tard. tell him that.

should have had partial nail bed removal on the side which ingrows. will never grow back in that area ever again.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,133 Posts
Had one done when yonger, same as your mate, took half the toe down the middle.
has never grown back.

Shane.

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,555 Posts
I've suffered with ingrown toe nails all my life - my mates at school used to call me "shovel toes" lol. Never did have that op - just grinned and bared it. Nowadays I got this funky nail fungus happening that keeps the nail soft, keeping the damage to a minimum. Gotta love biological control ha ha.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had both big toe's done 20 years ago, never grew back, best thing I ever done,and incidently,after having them removed put my shoes back on walked out of the surgery and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I had about 1/4 of one big toenail cut off too. The doc used a probe dipped in liquid nitrogen to freeze burn the quick so it wouldnt grow back. 6 months on it's just fine. I had to work so I got the doc to presecribe some panadiene forte for me. It's amazing how often youre toe gets trodden on by kids and dogs once youve had work on an ingrown toenail !

I'd done years of drunken DIY surgery on my toes and the doc's work was far superior. So was the pain releif !

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
I haven't ever had one, but one of my mates has had 11 operations to cut them out and now they are looking at totally cutting something off his toe to stop it happening again.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
I worked with a bloke that had two ingrown hairs in his butt crack, two ops later, no butt crack. Funniest thing I have ever seen, and both his parents were doctors.

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
I've had three. Two when I was younger, the latest just around xmas whn the kids assisted me in stubbing my bigtoe. Got infected and ingrown, did my own bit of surgery (hurt like hell) but all good now.
Al

·
Registered
nissan
294 Posts
I put up with them for 10+ years 2 years ago had corners cut out and chemically removed of the bone with caustics, was wearing shoes two days later. takes about 3 months to totally heel up but never grow back in the corner of my big toes again

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'd done years of drunken DIY surgery on my toes and the doc's work was far superior. So was the pain releif !
I can relate to this. In a drunken stupor one night I decided I was going to deal with it once and for all. By the time I'd finished my room looked like Jack the Ripper had paid a visit. I had to hobble off to the Air Force doctor the next day who wanted to have me charged for mangling myself and not being able to work. He did finally send me to a surgeon who put it all right. I put up with it for years and once the op was done within a week or two it was like it never happened.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Dunno if this is quite the same but I kicked a fence post and broke my toenail in half. Horizontally adross the middle of the nail. After a week or so the top half of the nail turned yellow and about a week later it fell off (bottom half was intact)

Read up about it on the Internet and decided the 'yellow' was a fungus so started putting tea-tree oil on it. Took about six months for it to grow back but it did and just looks normal now.

I'm a bit more careful what I kick these days. I was wearing sandals at the time too...what a duckhead!

·
If you drive a box you get box
1,115 Posts
i had it done 9 years ago on both my big toes, had to go to a plastic surgeon as the podiatrist couldnt give me strong enough drugs to knock out the toe. they did some incision back behind the nail bed, cut out part of it on the edges, and stitched it back up

nail was meant to have grown back properly, but only my right big toe did (to a point anyways). doesnt bother me that i trim my big toe nails once a year LOL

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
Im very careful how I cut my nails now, I left a point on the corner of my big toe as a kid and it grew into the tissue , causing it ti get infected. Went to the dr after about 6 months and he stuck needle nose pliers in there and ripped the corner of it out, hurt like fcuk!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts