Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Long time since I´ve been here. Just got my harddrive and win7 ultimate in my pc. so I´m finaly back on the world wide web :) But from my computer problems to my patrol problems. The hazard lights are not working. But if I push the hazard light button, the signal lights won´t work. So my question is. Should I buy new hazard light button or hazard light relay??

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,253 Posts
Replace the blown hazard light fuse, it's in the fuse box under the bonnet.

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
Welcome back jeepson
and thanks for the post because I have had the same problem.

Mine has been doing exactly the same thing since I towed a hire trailer, it blew the brake light fuse, indicators are still work but the hazard lights have been acting strange.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,637 Posts
As Yendor said.
Its the hazzard light fuse.
Pretty common when towing trailers.
Get a fuse thats 5w higher and it should not happen again.

·
Registered
nissan gu3 2001
349 Posts
my hazzards do the same as above, change the 10amp fuse which blows straight away. where can i find this relay??? I thought the switch may have burnt out.

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,253 Posts
my hazzards do the same as above, change the 10amp fuse which blows straight away. where can i find this relay??? I thought the switch may have burnt out.
If your indicators still work as normal I can't seen the problem being with the relay or switch.

When you say blows straight away does this mean as soon as you put the fuse in? (even if the hazards are off) or it blows as soon as you turn the hazard lights on?

Is this with a trailer connected? how many extra indicator lights have you added to the vehicle eg in bull bar?

Have you tried a 15 amp fuse in it? did this blow straight away?

If your indicator fuse is blowing as well, checking your vehicles trailer plug and wiring for damage or loose connections.

·
Registered
nissan gu3 2001
349 Posts
If your indicators still work as normal I can't seen the problem being with the relay or switch.

When you say blows straight away does this mean as soon as you put the fuse in? (even if the hazards are off) or it blows as soon as you turn the hazard lights on?

Is this with a trailer connected? how many extra indicator lights have you added to the vehicle eg in bull bar?

Have you tried a 15 amp fuse in it? did this blow straight away?

If your indicator fuse is blowing as well, checking your vehicles trailer plug and wiring for damage or loose connections.

If I turn hazard switch on, the idicators dont work same as the first post.(little green arrow in dash stays luminated and doesnt flash) The fuse will only blow when the hazard switch is depressed. once you turn switch off the indicators work as normal. Im kinda reluctant to try a heavier fuse as there must be an issue with the wiring somewhere if standard amperage fuse blows.

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,253 Posts
The hazard lights and indicators use the same flasher relay and wiring (from hazard light switch to lights).

The hazard light switch, switches an ign feed (indicators) to a battery feed (hazard lights) to the flasher relay and also links left and right lights together for hazards.

So if your indicators are working normal and not blowing fuses then I cant see you having a problem with your wiring (at least from hazard light switch to lights).

The fuse will only blow when the hazard switch is depressed. once you turn switch off the indicators work as normal.
This is normal if the hazard light fuse is blowing because you have switched from indicators (ign feed) to hazard lights and because the fuse is blown no lights will work, until you switch back to indicators.

Im kinda reluctant to try a heavier fuse as there must be an issue with the wiring somewhere if standard amperage fuse blows.
The standard fuse is designed to run a standard vehicle, the fitting of a bull bar with indicator lights and trailer lights are not standard.

Going from a 10 amp to 15 amp fuse is not that big of a deal, but if the 15amp fuse blows straight away then yes you have problems.

Or you could try removing the bulbs from your bull bar indicator lights and then try a 10 amp fuse and see if it blows, if it doesn't blow and you want to keep using a 10 amp fuse just get a couple of replacement LED bulbs.

·
Registered
977 Posts
As above, the fuse is under the hood on the right hand side, and is a 10A fuse. Replace it with a 15A fuse while you are there, it will still blow in a short circuit situation, it is the load of the extra lights going over 10A that is causing the failure.

Or, as mentioned above, change what you can to LED bulbs, starting with the trailer.

This is a common problem in the GU's and as a result I dont use the hazard lights with a trailer on.

·
Registered
nissan gu3 2001
349 Posts
Ok thanks gents, hope it fixes the problem. Its been like it for 2 years just didnt use the hazards

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
Ok thanks gents, hope it fixes the problem. Its been like it for 2 years just didnt use the hazards
Ha same here.
I used a hire trailer about two yesrs ago and it caused the problem.
I have changed all indicators in the car and my own trailer to LED but did not realise that there was a separate Hazard light fuse to the inidcator fuse.

Thanks
I will go and have a crawl under the bonnet.
Cheers
G

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
Yippee it works now.

Took five min to get the clips to undoo the lid for the fuse box undet bonnet. Took one min to read which fuse it was, one second to pull out fuse, min to find a spare from inside fuse box and one min to drink celebratory ale. Now I just gotta get that silly plastic lid back on the fuse box.

But the Hazards work

Thanks
all

G

·
Registered
nissan gu3 2001
349 Posts
Yippee it works now.

Took five min to get the clips to undoo the lid for the fuse box undet bonnet. Took one min to read which fuse it was, one second to pull out fuse, min to find a spare from inside fuse box and one min to drink celebratory ale. Now I just gotta get that silly plastic lid back on the fuse box.

But the Hazards work

Thanks
all

G

Did you use a 15 amp fuse

·
Registered
nissan
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. I´m going to check the fuse. I´m not going to change relay since the hazard and indicator are on the same relay, and the indicators are working. Well. best to go outside and check the fuse ;) Again thanks for the info guys :cheers:

·
Registered
nissan
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can´t find the damn fuse box under the bonnet. Where the f*** is it?? Doesen´t seem to to have one. But I have the fuse box inside the car but there is nothing there for the hazard lights :(

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,253 Posts
Hi jeepson, I just noticed you have a GQ, from memory your hazard light fuse is in the main fuse box inside the vehicle (top right one I think).

·
Registered
nissan
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okey. I´ll check it out tomorrow :) Thanks ;)

·
Registered
nissan gu3 2001
349 Posts
thanks guys the 15 amp fuse has got my hazzards working again.:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts