Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

searched under replacement headlights, with only one thread approaching this question, and not quite giving me the answer i need.
Basically fed up with the GUs feeble headlights, do you recommend the HD wiring loom upgrade or is it a waste of time and money? I'm thinking I may get better light quality just with the loom, and may be able to slightly boost the wattage of the globes i use.
Or should I get new replacement lights, if so which ones, someone said they use Hella, but I checked the site and couldn't find anything other than bmw replacement lights. And I believe HIDs are illegal, and I don't want insurance companies wangling out of things if they think part of my car is illegal.
So please direct me if you can towards 'the right light'

cheers

·
The Bear
nissan
2,407 Posts
Make your own, its a no brainer, and a few of hours of enjoyment, and a few dollars for a bit of an improvement, I just took my old HD wiring loom out after 12 months of HIDs. Hid's are the way to go, I dont know why they are illegal, or if it is an urban myth.

They are illegal in the US in some states as replacement for some reason that I cant fathom after reading many threads. I think its got more to do with adjustment than anything else, I have never been flashed once and my lights are aimed properly, and the cut-off is very sharp, I get the chits more with commodores and bmw's and other jap and euro cars with HID's bouncing down the road on low beam flashing as they crest every bump, sometimes its like a rotating purple/blue beacon coming towards you.

But that said for proper set-up you cant go past them. If you want to make your own loom there are heaps of sites and some posts on here with detailed instructions. The commercially available hd wiring kits you buy can hardly be called that, mostly upgrading to 3mm cable instead of the 1.5 in the GU.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Narva, Phillips etc all make +50 and/or +70 bulbs. I have Narva +50's in mine and they are much better than "standard".

Upgraded wiring looms in the GU's makes bugger all difference compared to GQ's but will give a small improvement.

HID legality has been flogged to death on here and IMHO are not for GU's as the faceted reflector throws the light everywhere causing severely pissed off oncoming drivers even on lo beam.

Anyway don't want to start a war on that subject... the search button will get pages of hits to read and make your own opinion.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
actually just for everybody here, I just spoke to the boys at the Western Australian Vehicle examination centres, HIDs are legal here if they are fitted with self levellers and headlight washers.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
136 Posts
Hi i upgraded my lights with 90/130 narva h4 globes 6mm twin sheath 50watt relays for low & high beam & good quality led blade fuse holders the led lights up if a fuse blows

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
actually just for everybody here, I just spoke to the boys at the Western Australian Vehicle examination centres, HIDs are legal here if they are fitted with self levellers and headlight washers.
HID's have been legal for years not just in WA but anywhere in Oz with levellers etc 'cause then they comply with ADR's.

Washers aren't a biggee but getting auto levellers for a "trol remains the stumbling block.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts