Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently pick up a swb tb42 dual fuel off my father in law really cheap. And I have notice bubbles in the radiator and running rough more so on gas and is a bit of a pain in the arse to start. I have tried a Tk head check and all is good. It doesnt run hot but uses water and taken the gas hose off leading to the carby and pressure tested the cooling system to see if the converter was leaking and it isn't. I also tried a new radiator cap which made it worst. Time to remove the head and hopefully it's just the gasket. If not she will be off the road for a couple of weeks :(

·
Registered
731 Posts
I had a similar problem with my TB42 dual fuel. Kept losing water, all pressure checks were OK. It finally hydraulic locked on me on the other side of town. Blown gasket and warped head. You're doing the right thing checking the head before you have a catastrophic failure. Good luck with it, hopefully you'll get away with just a gasket and some labour. It seems common for these things to go around 250,000 ks when they're on gas.

·
Registered
731 Posts
With those Ks don't be surprised if you're up for a new head. Mine cost about $3,500 about five years ago and that included all new belts and hoses. It was the only major work done to it in 11 years of happy motoring.

·
Registered
nissan
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ripped the head off tonight and it has been welded up before. i cant see any cracks but the head I'm guessing is warped cause i can see on the head gasket where the coolant has been entering the cylinder. dropping it off to the head guy tomorrow and get it all tested. hopefully its a cheap fix

1 - 5 of 5 Posts