Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti cab chassis
14,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of upgrading the Kenwood head unit in my ute to a new Kenwood one with bluetooth and possibly DAB..
The old head unit has only 1 set of pre outs and Ive used splitters to run two sets of rca's to my 4ch amp.
The front 2ch are running my door speakers and Ive bridged th rear 2ch to power my sub..
Question is..
The head unit im keen on has 3 sets of pre outs..
So should I Just connect my rca's to the front and rear channels (as I am atm with old head unit), Or should I connect the sub pre out to the bridged rear channels of the amp??

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
8,591 Posts
Is this so you can listen to Doof Doof music.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,521 Posts
Your head unit will have a built in "crossover", so you would normally want to use that to control what signal goes to what speakers. Without using the subwoofer pre-out that won't work.

I thought you had an active sub????? Can you please tell me again what you have exactly???

A mate of mine just bought a new Kenwood head unit last week, and it does not have DAB, which he hates, as the one in his work truck is not good out of town.

·
06 Td42ti cab chassis
14,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sub is a kiicker compc.
In the factory slimline ported box.
Not active, Have another read of op.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Sub is a kiicker compc.
In the factory slimline ported box.
Not active, Have another read of op.
I know it's in another thread, but I cannot remember where that is, and now with the new forum layout, I looked for it and didn't find it. So how about you just tell me what amp you have, and whether it has any hi/lo filters on it? That would help!

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
And that sub you have, being in its own box, is what an active sub looks like too. So my memory failed me there.

·
06 Td42ti cab chassis
14,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Amp is a Fusion CA-DA 4I400 D class, and yes has filters, all highs are set to 6.5" door speakers and lows to sub.
150w rms tto doors, bridged 420 rms to sub.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Ok, cool. Well your old head unit was not making the best of this. My old Alpine was the same, but I used a graphic equalizer with three outputs and a built in crossover. Old, but it worked.

So your new unit will be like they all are now, with an adjustable crossover included as well as equalizers. I like them, and think they are good to set-up and use. So I would use the crossover on the head unit, not on the amplifier. It is advised by experts (not me!) to not use both, as this effects sound quality. The head unit ones are usually easy to set, and will give you a choice of frequencies to choose. I would start at 80hz. Your 6.5's will handle more than this, but really lower stuff is what the sub is for, and vice versa too. No point trying to get your sub to produce stuff over 100hz. 80hz is a good starting point I have found. The head unit will likely also have a subwoofer volume control. These are real easy to use when adjusting your gain.

So I would use the "Front" pre out for your door speakers, and "Subwoofer" for your bridged channels. And use the crossover in the head unit.

Here is a good article covering set-up.

How to make the bass in your car sound its best

·
06 Td42ti cab chassis
14,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Shayne, your a champ.
So when I get the new head unit, I Will set front and rear to full and crossovers to min on my amp and tune from the head unit.
So the only adjustment needed at amp end will be gain..Is that right??

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Yes, gain will be set on the amp, and crossover points on the head unit, with one slight variation. You will likely have a Subwoofer level in the head unit, which is essentially another gain adjust. I would set that to about three quarters on the head unit, and then set the gain on the amp. That will then allow you a bit of fine tuning on the head unit. Not sure why they have this function only for the subwoofer, but I have found that low frequency sounds are effected a lot by road noise. Adjust your stereo in the shed until it sounds how you like, and when you drive it down the road, the bass will sound too low. This function allows a simple way to adjust that on the move. Not sure if that is the reason why the function is there, but it is useful for this.

·
06 Td42ti cab chassis
14,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your help mate.

·
06 Td42ti cab chassis
14,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No doubt I will annoy you again mate..
Next thing I will need to find out is if Kenwood changed their wiring loom beetween 2012 (about the age of current headunit fitted to my ute) and the currrent models..Would like to try and fit new one myself cause I dont like people touching my baby.

·
Registered
2010 GU DX CRD Grenade :)
630 Posts
You may find that the plug won't be compatible if the old unit is not touch screen. I replaced the basic double din Kenwood unit in mine when I bought it with a JVC touchscreen model I had and had to change the wiring loom because the plug was slightly bigger. (JVC and Kenwood are one company now)

If you want to check before pulling it all apart, you could always download the user manual for both units and it should show pictures of the plugs.

Reactions: 45/70

·
Registered
792 Posts
If the plug is different the terminals crimped onto the wires may by chance be the same. Which would mean you could just de-pin the old plug and pop the existing wires into the new plug.

·
06 Td42ti cab chassis
14,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
Worse case scenario, it is only a few wires, so not hard to re-wire if you can use a crimper.

Happy to help with any tinkering. See how you go with the basics, it may just work straight up for you how you like. Having that sub in its factory box is an advantage, as it works how it was designed. When you have custom enclosures you have to stuff around more. This is why you will likely have a setting for subwoofer phasing, to allow for them being mounted under seat or in the boot, or on a parcel shelf etc. But your sub box most probably will just work.

Keep in mind that if you cannot find a happy spot with the head unit crossover, you still have the option of using the one on the amplifier, which may offer extra adjustment.

·
06 Td42ti cab chassis
14,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Shayne.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts