Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are heading to the west from south aust. :D would like to find the good spots to see with out wall to wall tourist. also some good fishing spots and camping spots as we have camper trailer. will be traveling may / june esperance, perth, kalgoolie. also could do with radio stations in same areas. any help would be appreciated.​

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Fishing on WA's south coast is pretty much like SA's west coast. Lotsa big fish and cold in winter. Dont think you'll have wall to wall tourists that time year either :)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
817 Posts
some places of interest for you.
from south to north
bremer bay
peaceful bay
broke inlet
margaret river/yallingup
busselton
jurien bay
dongara

cant help much on the inland stuff as we always stay on the coast
cheers
Rod

·
Registered
nissan
62 Posts
Try Baxter Cliffs .... Turn left at the C0cklebiddy road house and head down to the coast!

·
Registered
nissan
569 Posts
start the Nullabor experience at Fowlers Bay (sand dunes much like ours), dont know how long you have but Mullaway fishing at Nundroo is awesome, be sure to go into the whale centre at the Head of the Bight, then Esperance detour to Cape LeGrande National Park, has to be one of my favorite areas an easy month of enjoyment, heaps of beach fishing places even in bad weather, Israelite bay will be out at that time of year too wet to get in there, again plenty around Bremer, and certainly Albany/Denmark.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Strweth. I've been here 6 years and have managed to get to less than 25% of the coast from Esperance to Perth and we get out every chance we get.

I have a couple of special spots that there is NO WAY I'll ever post up but anyway...

East of Esperance yet to do properly. Esperance is nice to recharge the batteries and revictual
Esperance to Hopetoun,
Munglinup Beach - good camping and more sheltered than Starvation or Mason's and easier than West Stokes NP campground and central to explore Stokes NP and all points west to Hopetoun
Hopetoun to Bremer,
Is the Fitzgerald NP which is awesome. Immediately west of Bremer is some beaut beaches and headlands while Bremer is very small it is worth checking out. I go there a lot.

Jeez I just realised this will be about 12 pages if I keep going...

How about this idea, grab a HEMA map, Google each of the campsites that grab your fancy, check 'em out on Explore Oz which also lists any others close by that aren't on HEMA and use Google Earth as well.

When you get a bit of a short list wack it up and we can advise if they are the pick, if they suck, if there is a better spot nearby and what to see in the area.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
This is silly. Went off and posted in some other threads but still having troubles in this one.

has any one tried bettys beach sth of many peaks
Yes, IMHO the pick of the spots there is just back a bit from Betty's proper on the very eastern end of Two Peoples Bay Beach.

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
Also along the Esperance coast (before Esperance):
First stop would be Cape Arid if you have a bit of time to spend.

Also a great quiet little caravan park at Duke of Orleans Bay. Ask for one of the camp sites down near the beach.
Condingup Western Australia - Orleans Bay Caravan Park

Try fishing off the beach at sunset at Wharton Beach and don't miss a drive to Little Wharton Beach (both just over the hill from the caravan park). Ask the caravan park owner for instructions on how to find his special hidden beach. The tracks are fun although a bit scratchy. You can follow them all the way through to Little Wharton if you dont mind a few scratches.

Cape LeGrand is a must see. Lucky Bay camping and Hellfire Bay.
Climb Frenchman's Peak for an incredible view from a cave in the top of the hill.
From there you can drive around LeGrand Beach to come out at Bandy Creek harbour just a few km before Esperance. Check beach conditions with the Lucky Bay ranger at that time of year.

My next favourite spot is Waychinycup Inlet just off the Cheyne Beach road before Albany.
Department of Environment and Conservation - Waychinicup National Park
Bettys Beach
Albany
Torbay
Boat Harbour near Denmark

How far are you going

On the way back down from Kal to Noresman there is a great weekend camp site at Cave hill but it is quite a way in off the main road.

·
Registered
nissan
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry i havnt got back to has been big week at work. will keep the camp sites in mind they all sound great had a bit of a play with google we r in for a great trip.esperance, perth ,kal , back to esperance we hope.

·
Registered
nissan
569 Posts
I have to agree totally with geordie, I spent a month in there and stayed Orleans Bay 'van park as a base, people were really helpful (love the wood fired braziers that you can use, nice touch). Like I said in my previous post, one of my all time favorite places.

·
Registered
nissan
569 Posts
sorry, meant to also say, that if the road is/has been opened again, you can get to Balladonia from Cape Le Grande /Condingup road. Pretty isolated, but great adventure, and saves having to go back to Esperance and round through Norsman to the Eyre Hwy. When I did it, it was being worked on and had "help" from a local getting through. Its managed by 2 shires, one wants it open, the other doesnt.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts