Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
"NOW TAKING BRIBES"
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, here is some very useful info from another thread, makes wiring your new spotties easy and also a new upgraded loom for your headlights.

The top diagram is for negative switched Headlights and the lower diagram is for positive switched.

·
"NOW TAKING BRIBES"
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A basic headlight wiring up grade and you don’t need to know whether the vehicle is positive or negative switched, the wiring sorts it out automatically.

One thing I would change is the cable between the battery and the fuse block, this should be at least 6mm to give the best results.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for posting. I'm going to up grade this weekend. The four relay Idea is a real good one ~ should have minimum line loss, Thanks again.
Lead foot;

·
The Bear
2,413 Posts
A few meters of the heavy duty trailer wire will even give you most of the colour code to make it easy to follow the diagram

·
Registered
893 Posts
Why do u need that many relays for standard headlights?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Why do u need that many relays for standard headlights?
The simple answer is "YOU DONT"! A 30 amp relay is quite sufficient to run standard 55 watt headlamps. It may be the factory wiring that could use improvement. Most people would be hard pressed to notice the difference though. (sit back and wait for the flak);)

·
Registered
128 Posts
The 4 relay setup looks to be for minimal loss through the relays. 1 relay per beam per light. This also allows for plenty of headroom for upgraded globes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i noticed a huge difference when upgrading my gq, and yes 1 30amp relay is heaps, but best to get the ones with the twin output pins

·
Registered
893 Posts
yer thats what i thought 100watts will only draw 8 amps so as long as you get a 30 amp relay it will do both lights no dramas

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Fellas. Do away with guesswork. Relay size/lamp size is simple calculation. Wattage divided by Battery voltage = amps. Most alternators pump out 13.6v to 14.2v and a 12 volt battery fully charged = 2.2v per cell. 6 x 2.2 or 13.2 volts with ignition off. For example 4 lamps at 55w = 220 watts. 220w divided by 13.6v = 16.2 amps. One 20 amp relay will handle it although bigger is usually better. Hope this helps. Cheers, Derb.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts