Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My LHS headlight is acting up sometimes! RHS is working good but LHS is working on half power. When I remove the bulb but leave the plug on there I can see that low and highbeam are burning a little bit. When I pull the light switch to flash nothing happens on the LHS. RHS is still fine.

The weird thing about it is that sometimes the LHS is working fine!

Can someone help me out? Inspections are on its way so the lights need to work good.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Combo switch
Take it out and clean it up or IF ya got another just replace it

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
i would look over the wires within the engine bay, probably a broken or coroded wire somewhere. possibly a dodgy earth or corroded connections at the headlight itself.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Definately combo switch needs cleaning or replacing.
There are no relays in original setup, so modify lighting system by adding relays - this will save combo switch from burning and lights will be much better.

·
Registered
Have owned most, MQ, MK, GQ/TB, GQ/TD, GU/ZD and now finally GU TD42Ti
3,309 Posts
it is very possible that it's a bad earth as mentioned above (might be a loose screw where the earth is attached to the body/chassis)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked the wiring diagram and If it was the switch than both headlights would do this. Its runnung 1 wire from the switch.

·
Premium Member
nissan
2,306 Posts
You have a bad earth at the LHS headlight.

This could be a bad connection in the LHS headlight plug, a break in the earth wire going to that plug, or if you have sealed beams there could be a dry solder joint within the light itself.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
First simple checks are as mentioned
Check earth,maybe remove the earth scuff with sandpaper for better contact
Or broken wire
I mentioned the combo switch as this was the issue with my MK ute
I tried earth,checked wires,swapped left /right headlights lights even
Even tried another set of headlights (process of illimination)
Still same issue
Different combo switch all better

IF it is the combo switch ensure you get the correct one
MQ and MK are different in the pin shapes

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,295 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAH No one has said Fuse!!!!!! I have just been through this, RH head light was sometimes working but most of the time dull. Checked the fuse, and it was melted. Pulled it out and swapped it with the LHS and the right hand worked perfect and the left hand side dull, Even though there was no fuse. So I say check the Fuses , give it a little wobble and see if it comes good or, replace the fuse.

·
Registered
nissan
175 Posts
If your fuse box ever gets wet (mine does sometimes) you will find the moisture or the resulting corrosion could cause this - have gone to waterproof fuses for headlights

·
White & Whistlin sd33T
nissan
388 Posts
If it was the combo switch it would effect both lights.

My bet is a dodgy Earth. Check and clean the pins of the globe and connector and also check that the metal surround of the globe is making good contact with the outer housing of the light fitting.

Ric

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Combo switch doesnt necessary effect both headlights

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Well got me then
Why only 1 headlight worked
Swapped to the other side then worked properly
Tried everything else
Chucked a new combo switch in and presto all fixed

edit:
As i mentioned previous, tried different lights even
Nothin worked but the combo switch

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found out that there is power on both connections: low and high beam. I've put a extra temporary ground wire directly at the battery and this doesn't help.

So, high and low beam are working a little bit at the same time and ground is good.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
High and low beam are two different wires
So jelmer , your saying only 1 light isnt workin properly ???
Removable bulbs in the lights ???
Change em
Swap the headlights over (a whole 5 min job)
Still the same ???
Or different ???

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
if you have power on both high and low wires, then i would think something is shorting them together. could be the globe/light or in the combo switch.

just thinking, arent these old lights like an old school light bulb, with looped wire in them? if so, one could have snapped and fallen onto the other. so that would be causing your short.

easy to test with a multimeter, unplug the light, check the 2 power terminals on the light for a circuit (using the ohm/resistance feature). if you get a reading, they are joined. if not, check the voltage on the power wires to the earth. if there is voltage on 2 wires at the same time, then your problem is either the other light or the combo switch, so check the other light first.

i had something like this happen with my rear lights, the LH indicator earth wire came loose. when i indicated right, all good, when i indicated left the brake lights flashed at the same time. i was all wtf lol, but it was just the power finding a different way to earth.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,295 Posts
Have you changed out your fuses??? 2 closest to the door on the fuse panel, mine where not blown but chaned them and it all works fine now !!!!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There is power on both connections in the connector on the headlight. Changed bulbs, checked fuses, took switch apart.

Weird thing is that sometimes that headlight is working fine! And when I slam the door it sometimes goes bad again. So it has to be the switch!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts