Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 1984 swb turbo diesel nissan patrol. I was driving (after rain) and noticed my head unit and clock weren’t walking. Parked a couple hours later went to drive and headlights seemed to work then after 10 min seemed dark so got out to check and no headlights, put on emergency lights to get it off the street it worked for a minute then stopped and by this stage also realised I had no indicators.

I thought I must have blown a fuse but checked and one was blown but replaced and didn’t fix the problem. Also there was water coming through bottom right of the windscreen and dripping the through the very right side of the dash near the ignition. Checked all connection points I could find under the bonnet etc. Tried to find auto electricians in my area but they all are booked out for a couple weeks. Any ideas or help be much appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
Hey guys I have a 1984 swb turbo diesel nissan patrol. I was driving (after rain) and noticed my head unit and clock weren’t walking. Parked a couple hours later went to drive and headlights seemed to work then after 10 min seemed dark so got out to check and no headlights, put on emergency lights to get it off the street it worked for a minute then stopped and by this stage also realised I had no indicators.

I thought I must have blown a fuse but checked and one was blown but replaced and didn’t fix the problem. Also there was water coming through bottom right of the windscreen and dripping the through the very right side of the dash near the ignition. Checked all connection points I could find under the bonnet etc. Tried to find auto electricians in my area but they all are booked out for a couple weeks. Any ideas or help be much appreciated thanks!
Gday mate any lights come on at all? Dash? Parkers? Tail lights? Indicators? Heater control lights in the middle?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They did for like 30 sec then stopped I felt like it all happened step by step as id use things they would stop working

·
Registered
504 Posts
You could try checking any relays and earth connections, check your hazard switch is ok too - (they do some weird **** to electrical systems when they stuff up).

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
They did for like 30 sec then stopped I felt like it all happened step by step as id use things they would stop working
Ok so recently have you done any electrical work to the patrol like spotties or anything like that? Do you have a workshop manual..?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Check your fusible links. I looked right past mine when I had similar issue, everything in the cabin EXCEPT the headlights was out.

Checked all the fuses, relays, all looked fine. Then casually looked over the fusible link and found the main 100A burned out.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
181 Posts
I would say your issue is inside the cab, if you got water coming through the windscreen its more than likely made its way to the fuse box on the kick panel. Other than that i cant see what else is there. Hope you fix the issue mate keep us posted please.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so recently have you done any electrical work to the patrol like spotties or anything like that? Do you have a workshop manual..?
I haven’t but the wiring was pretty messy when I got the car and was some loose wiring at the front where spotties might have been. No manual and I have struggled to find one online.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would say your issue is inside the cab, if you got water coming through the windscreen its more than likely made its way to the fuse box on the kick panel. Other than that i cant see what else is there. Hope you fix the issue mate keep us posted please.
yeah that would make sense, thanks mate and will do

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check your fusible links. I looked right past mine when I had similar issue, everything in the cabin EXCEPT the headlights was out.

Checked all the fuses, relays, all looked fine. Then casually looked over the fusible link and found the main 100A burned out.
Thanks for a the advice mate, will check them out! Fingers crossed that’s it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You could try checking any relays and earth connections, check your hazard switch is ok too - (they do some weird **** to electrical systems when they stuff up).
ok thanks mate will have a look into that haven’t looked at the hazard switch

1 - 13 of 13 Posts