Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Nissan (first mistake) to get a replacement belt self tensioner pulley.
They said it comes as the whole assembly. Cost $425.
Walked out.
Does any one else have any experience with replacing one of these.
I assumed that you could replace just the pulley and /or bearing.
I suspect the squeak I am hearing on start up in the morning may be this item.
Goes away after a minute or so.
Was going to replace it regardless as the car has done 185,000 km's now
Hope its not the A/C or Alternator.
Any ideas, thanks

Also what is the purpose of putting a clutch type mechanism on the alternator.
Something else to stuff up on a trip, as it did for me up at Bamaga.
They wanted $800 to get a whole new unit flown up from Cairns.
Decided to just weld it up to get home, and it's still going fine.

·
Registered
nissan
1,482 Posts
Yeah bit of hit and miss with genuine Nissan parts prices. Always try/use Nizzbits on here as a minimum.

You will find in general that some parts are so cheap you wouldn't even bother to clean your old one to see if it can be repaired. Other parts, sit down for.

·
Registered
nissan
1,482 Posts
And bring your own Vaseline - they'll charge you for that too if you dont.
I'd just be happy to pay for it as long as they'd use it for once.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,133 Posts
Take it to CBC and see what they can do. Have helped me out heaps.

cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see the complete pulleys are available as well on eBay around $67
Will just buy a bearing and replace the existing one, will be the cheapest option.
Thanks to all for your comments.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu
735 Posts
I see the complete pulleys are available as well on eBay around $67
Will just buy a bearing and replace the existing one, will be the cheapest option.
Thanks to all for your comments.
EBay pulley is rounded on one shoulder meaning it is for a thinner belt width than that on the ZD30- if you fit it the last rib of the 6p serpintine belt is undertensioned and may strip from the parent material over time.

Get a JAF 62203-2RS bearing and use the original pulley. The bearing is heavy duty and can also be purchased in stainless steel.

The actuator ends are easily repaired.

My 2 bobs worth

·
Learned the hard way - RD28t out TD42 in
4,415 Posts
You get what you pay for. Yes Nissan prices can seem steep on some things,, but others come in very reasonable, to my ignorance on the real cost of manufacture, shipping, mark-up etc etc. I think it's more to do with our perception of what something should cost, not that the prices are wrong. Don't forget, Nissan stuff is jap and of high quality and you can be sure it'll fit and give the service life that's it's designed for, something you cannot say about copy stuff. If you think Nissan OEM is expensive, have a look around at some other makers (not that I agree with Nissan pricing you understand !) !

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you have welded up your (formerly) clutch type pulley on your alternator, I would think that might be contributing to the squeak. If there isnt a thread explaining how the pulleys work and why they are fitted, I will do my best to oblige. (Could be a long search)

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
One way alternator clutches (sprag clutch) are normally used on engines with a serpentine belt tensioned by a spring tensioner so that when you lift off the accelerator the heavy alternator rotor (the driven centre section) can overrun the pully (or drive belt) speed to maintain constant tension on the serpentine belt

When you fit a solid pully instead when you lift off the accelerator the inertia of the spinning (heavy) rotor in the alternator has to slow suddenly & this works against the spring tensioner & alters belt tension

It clutch is a good idea in theory but adds another area of unreliability to the vehicle

Regards Don

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
If you think Nissan OEM is expensive, have a look around at some other makers (not that I agree with Nissan pricing you understand !) !
I work in the trade, and Genuine Nissan parts are right up there in price, especially if you compre them to say Toyota parts. Nissan parts also often don't make a lot of sense e.g. if you want to buy Genuine rubber panhard rod or trailing arm bushes they don't show up in their system and tell you that you need to buy the whole arm or rod...but give them the part number off the bushes and all of a sudden you can buy them individually!!

·
Registered
nissan
77 Posts
Hmm, dealership prices... I had my crank position sensor fail on my 06 ute, Nissans price to replace it was $650.00...(inc part) Part cost $320 trade (alsa thru Nissan but no other choice it would seem).

$330 labour to undo one bolt and unplug / plug in one plug???? ( 10 minutes labour) needless to say replaced it myself????

·
Registered
nissan
62 Posts
I just purchased two genuine O2 sensors from Nizzbits to suit my 2002 4.8 for $175 each, my local nissan spare parts wanted $218 each but were not in stock, I asked them their trade price and they said $170 but I'm not in the trade, nizzbit did not have it listed on their website, so I sent them a email, happy days

I use to own a V8 Toyota Soarer, and I belonged to a Soarer forum, the owners of the soarer forum approached a toyota dealership for better prices for people of the forum and if when you ordered a part either by phone or email, just by mentioning your were a member of the soarer forum you got your order at trade price, which was a massive saving, and most items would arrive next day via express post, Maybe the owners of this forum should try the same with a Nissan dealer

·
Registered
nissan
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks q8160
Will pick up a new bearing next week.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
100% agree with tracteur tom.
I've bought genuine rubber bungs for the holes in the floor because they're cheaper.
Sun visor clips were $6
Swaybar release mechanism $570 all for a flogged ball joint but its a weird mechanism.

Set of 4 mitsubishi Magna rubber lower control arm bushes, $480. Found some in nolathane for a hilux and trimmed them with a stanley knife. $36

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU 2.8TD
135 Posts
asep,

i can help you out with that if you like. they are a real pain in the ass..
in most case's you wont need to replace the whole unit and only the tensioner itself..

my price,
whole unit tensoiner, pulley ect.. 270+gst
or just the tensioner itself i do beleive was 180+ gst

so a bit cheaper if you wanted to go through with it all. and these are genuine nissan parts too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts