Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just after a bit of information on heat insulating headers. I have been getting mixed results with exhaust shops.

They have been saying DO NOT heat wrap extractors as the rust reacts quicker between the fibreglass insulation and the pipe itself, causing it to fail quicker.

My thoughts were that if they are wrapped nice and tight with good quality wrap, the heat would quickly disperse all moisture off the pipe. Plus that and the added fact that if you put the wrap on before you install them, there is no chance of dirt and contaminants marking the pipe and taking the protective coating off.

Has anyone ever had any major rusting issues with insulated pipe?

Also HPC coating is nearly $500...

Thanks in advance.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Neesmo31 said:
They have been saying DO NOT heat wrap extractors as the rust reacts quicker between the fibreglass insulation and the pipe itself, causing it to fail quicker..
they are correct.
Plenty of threads on it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
ceramic coating worked on a race car i used to have a share in. no temp figures but was noticably cooler when opening the bonnet after a run .... was not that pricey either, $180 for a 4cly set of extractors ....

·
Registered
nissan gq ti patrol
61 Posts
exhaust wrap

yeh i had exhaust wrap on an old v8 rangie i had and yep the extractors ended up rusting through. I think what made it worse in winter and especially going through mud it stuck to the wrap making it worse. thats why i don;t use on my gq extractors.

·
Registered
nissan
21 Posts
I used the exhaust wrap on the extractors on a 308 they were brand new extractors .After 12 months of being on the car i thought i had a crack in the pipes.When i removed the wrap the extractors were rusted that bad i had trouble trying to weld them up. I would never use the stuff again

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Who quoted you $500 for extractors??????

two manifolds, turbo rear, 2 ft long divorced dump, intake piping bit are costing me bout $700

·
Registered
nissan patrol gq
411 Posts
x2 for ceramic coated. haven't seen on a 4x4 but tafe teachers v12 xjs had cerami coated exhaust fitted and really reduced engine bay temps and the floor pan didn't get as hot.

Cheers,
Nic

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I use a section on my dump pipe where it goes past the clutch. otherwise I wouldn't use it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts