Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Hell I'm A Good Cook

454K views 12K replies 115 participants last post by  rgren2 
#1 ·
Here you go, stick up your best recipies. :bigthumb:

Foo

#4 ·
I don't have much inclination for fancy cooking these days. I like to be able to sling a good feed together pretty quickly. I often use the BBQ for that reason. Say a pork chop, and have it with a pre-prepared salad from the supermarket. They have some good ones, like Garden Salad and Caesar Salad, all you need is a sauce for the chop and you're away laughing. Their big fruit salads are very good too.

I also like Chinese, like Chow Mein and Fried Rice. Again, easy to do. I'll post a quick recipe later.

A roast is also good but takes time. I like lamb and pork. Not so keen on beef.

It'll be interesting to see what others have to suggest. Dinnertime is a constant PITA for me.

#5 ·
I am very much a suck and see cook. I will have a look at what goes well with any meats and combine the herb and spices to suit. ;)

One lot of herbs and spices I like is Aussie Bush Spices. These are very good with pretty much anything to do with meat. :)

Foo

Reactions: rastus2571
#6 ·
I'm like Foo. Just chuck it in mix it up and see how it goes. I posted this a while ago....

I ain't to bad on the barby tools or in the kitchen. I tried this one tonight in the home oven and have done it before over the coals whilst camping.

Here goes.....

Enough porterhouse or round steaks per person. At least an inch thick. I had 3 steaks.
Cut steaks down sides to form a pocket.
Shove in there what you want.

I put in sliced onion,tomato,capsicum,cucumber,zucchini,mushroom,**** cheese slice,garlic paste and seasoned steaks with mint sauce,mixed herbs (mastercraft in a jar) and salt and pepper over the outside before wrapping in foil. You can even fold the sides of the foil up to make a tunnel to chuck an egg in too if you want. I have tried this also. Fill the foil to bursting point if you want. Not all the food has to be inside the steak.

When wrapping in foil leave a bit of an air pocket.
Preheat oven to 220 degrees. Over the coals about 10-15 minutes does it.
Put packages into oven for about 1/2 an hour. Check on it as you go.
When you get it out make sure you have 2 slices of nice fresh bread and butter on the plate to put your feed on and soak up the juice.

Grab knife and fork and whatever other condiment (solid or liquid) takes your fancy.
Sit in comfy chair.
ENJOY. And expect requests for seconds or thirds or fourths.:iconbana:

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e using Tapatalk 2

#10 ·
Lamb and pork spit roast. Basted with lemon juice for 3 hours. 5 kilo of meat. Four mouths.

I used the aldi special spit roast kit that came out last year. $60

Bung it in pita bread with tabouli cheese tsatiki dip and tomato. Mmmmmm I could do this every night ��

#14 ·
2 of my staple meals, and a side.

The "I'm broke" meal
1x mi goreng packet.
1x egg.

Make mi goreng, fry egg, put in a bowl, eat.

The "I'm not so broke" meal
1x car
1x $10 note (per person)

Drive to Hungry Jack's, buy shyte, eat.

The side
1-24x beers

Open beer, drink beer.
Spilling beer is not recommended.

#19 ·
Brown takes longer, like about 40mins. ;)

Foo

#21 ·
I made some muffins and what was suposed to be a date loaf. The only trouble was I put the mix into the muffin tray.[emoji12]

Foo

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Arges Tuft
#24 ·
I like mex, not the mex you get from the local mex shop, but good hand made stuff.

An Canadian mate, who lives in Texas, is the king of this stuff. He made me beef burritos once and man were they good. So I asked him for his recipe.

Last time home I made them when all the kids came to dinner and they raved about them.

So, here for you to try, or not if you don't want to, is the recipe from my mate.

Beef and Bean Burritos
Ingredients:
1/2 kg lean mince
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons chopped jalapeno
1 teaspoon leaf oregano, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 can refried beans
1 packet enchilada flavoring (or con carne), divided in two
6 (8-inch) flour tortillas
shredded lettuce
1 can chopped roma tomatoes.
Preparation:

Blend roma tomatoes and half of seasoning and 1/4 of enchilada seasoning to make sauce.

In a large heavy base pan over medium heat, cook mince, onion, and garlic until meat is browned, stirring often to break up meat. Drain well. Add the other half of each of the chili, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper; simmer for 10 minutes. Add half of refried beans and 2/3 of enchilada seasoning. Heat thoroughly. Stand aside and let cool (this will draw juices back into mix and stop you getting soggy tortillas).

Wrap tortillas in foil and place in a 180° oven to heat for 10 minutes. Spread tbl spoon refried beans onto each tortilla. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the ground beef mixture onto each tortilla; roll tightly and place seam-side down in large baking dish with gaps between each. Spoon remaining enchilada sauce over tortillas. Place in over at 180° for 10 mins. Garnish and serve with any of the following: shredded cheese, sliced ripe olives, chopped tomatoes, sour cream and guacamole, and shredded lettuce.

Guacamole Recipe
Serves 8
Gather your ingredients
3 Hass (black bumpy skin type) avocadoes, very ripe
1 med. white onion, finely chopped
1 fresh serrano chili (or jalapeno), deveined, seeded and finely minced
2 Tbls. fresh cilantro (AKA Chinese parsley), finely chopped
2 medium plum (Roma) tomatoes, chopped
1-2 tsp. fresh-squeezed lime juice
1 tsp. salt or to taste

In a heavy bowl, put the finely chopped onion, cilantro, and minced serrano chile. Mash them together with the back of a heavy spoon (a wooden one works well) until they begin to form a sort of paste and the juices are mixed.

Halve the avocados, discard the pit, and scoop out the flesh in big chunks with a spoon. Mix with the onion paste, mashing the avocado slightly but leaving it chunky. Don’t turn it into a mushy paste.
Gently mix in the diced tomatoes, lime juice and salt. Taste. Add more salt or minced serrano to taste. Stir gently until well mixed.

Tips,

The best avocados to for guacamole are the little Hass varieties. You might be tempted to buy the big avocados that come from Florida because it means more guacamole, but those avocados contain more water which doesn't make for a great guacamole.

Whether you prefer lemon or lime, make sure to add some to your guac. Adding both is a good idea too.

Don't Omit The Spice

Even if you're not into spicy foods, adding a little bit of fresh chili to your guacamole adds the right kind of flavor. Of course, if you don't mind spicy foods, feel free to liberally add in jalapenos, habanero or serrano peppers.

Don't Skimp On The Fresh Herbs

Cilantro haters need to back away from the guac, because it just isn't guacamole without freshly chopped cilantro. Of course, adding in other fresh herbs like chives and scallions impart a nice flavor too.

Don't Shy On The Seasoning

Most of us have learned to use salt sparingly when cooking, but when it comes to guacamole don't even think about it. This fatty fruit demands a good amount of seasoning. Gradually add more salt than you normally would, tasting as you go and you'll see what a big difference a little extra salt does for making a great guacamole.

(I don't use salt, so did not do this; DB)

Don't Over Mix

The best guacamole always has a little texture to it. It just adds to the flavor. Mix your guacamole only till the flavors are combined, leaving plenty of chunks, and you'll see what a difference it makes.

#28 ·
One red hot chicken crumbs I came up with is 'twistie' chicken tenders.

All you do it blend up a packet of twisties and crumb the chook tenders in them and shallow fry omfg so good also add smokey paprika if your into that sorta thing.

Cheers Charlie

#29 ·
Had enchiladas tonight, with Caesar Salad for some reason.
It was my girlfriends choice....

Might try and make some beef rendang tomorrow, but sourcing good ingredients may be a challenge. Don't know if I'll be able to get it as good as the proper Asian stuff.