Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi long time reader here, posted first reply today trying to help someone out, so thought I'd finally introduce myself.
First thank you everyone on here posting info, being a wannabe home mechanic you have saved me lots of $$$ on diy services and fixes.
I have a tb45 wagon pretty much set up as tourer and I know everyone turns their nose up to them, but I love was cheap and all I could afford at the time but it's so reliable, I lived out of it with the missus for 3 months last year going up the coast and not one problem, except the injectors but that was my fault and is a very sore point for me lol
Anyway it's not that bad on fuel average around 18l/100 fully loaded and driving normal not babying it, wish it had a bit more power tho, being auto it struggles with hills unless you put the boot right in.
Anyway plans are I'm about to chop it into a dual cab so I can use it for work, was going to sell and buy a ute but I love this thing and I only need a small tray to put a generator on (being a mobile welder) so when I start I will do a build thread and when the Tb finally decides to pack it in will either be doing td or the 4.5 cummins swap not sure yet? I used to own a auto td42 safari and have regretted getting rid of it ever since but it was N/A and at the time didn't have money to turbo and the gearbox needed rebuilding.
Ok I'll stop ranting on and try work out how to post pics
Cheers Aaron
IMG_20210716_101955.jpg
IMG_20210716_102016.jpg
IMG_20210716_102045.jpg
IMG_20210716_102116.jpg
IMG_20210716_102159.jpg

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
Before you butcher her, have you considered making a trailer work station, then you cou;ld have best of both worlds. Also I live off grid and have always had touuble getting good mig welds on gennie, so I'm interested to know about your welding set up. I have 8kva 15A 240V gennie with a 240V 200C BOC inverter mig, running gasless. I think the newer stick inverter welders have much cleaner welds

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeh I've got a trailer only a 6x4 box and I was about to set it up, as I'm only just trying to get set up as a mobile welder (worst timing lol) but I thought for close to the same money I could make mine a ute, And I need something to do while we are in lock down. I also hate towing trailers they just become annoying when you need to just pop into the shops on way home and that.
And I feel a ute will be more practical for the fun times too.
With you welder you have, I had a quick look and it recommended a 12kva to run, so will be maxing the genie out which makes the sine wave fluctuate, so you will not get a smooth arc and is bad news for the welder especially a invertered one you will fry it eventually.
I run the unimig 175 combi mig/stick just as a mig and unimig 180 stick/tig with a pure sine wave 9.5kva inverter genie gensafe brand. Was cheap for what it is but seems to go good, I use at home because I've got no 15 amp outlets and only renting.
What size wire are you running? You will never get gasless as smooth as gassed.

·
Registered
Nissan
568 Posts
Yeh I've got a trailer only a 6x4 box and I was about to set it up, as I'm only just trying to get set up as a mobile welder (worst timing lol) but I thought for close to the same money I could make mine a ute, And I need something to do while we are in lock down. I also hate towing trailers they just become annoying when you need to just pop into the shops on way home and that.
And I feel a ute will be more practical for the fun times too.
With you welder you have, I had a quick look and it recommended a 12kva to run, so will be maxing the genie out which makes the sine wave fluctuate, so you will not get a smooth arc and is bad news for the welder especially a invertered one you will fry it eventually.
I run the unimig 175 combi mig/stick just as a mig and unimig 180 stick/tig with a pure sine wave 9.5kva inverter genie gensafe brand. Was cheap for what it is but seems to go good, I use at home because I've got no 15 amp outlets and only renting.
What size wire are you running? You will never get gasless as smooth as gassed.
I've run both .8 and .9 wire .9 currently. Yeah I thought 8kva would be plenty, basically I understand 3 times the rating of appliance. I've seen the small stick welders are quite good. I had a gas bottle but went back to gasless as the gas didnt seem to come out and was out of warranty.

If you make it a chop ute then what would you drive in the meantime. All the BS with mid plating. But I can see the need to have both tray and dual cab. Big job though. Yeah trailers have their woes and advantages, but everythings a trade off

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've run both .8 and .9 wire .9 currently. Yeah I thought 8kva would be plenty, basically I understand 3 times the rating of appliance. I've seen the small stick welders are quite good. I had a gas bottle but went back to gasless as the gas didnt seem to come out and was out of warranty.

If you make it a chop ute then what would you drive in the meantime. All the BS with mid plating. But I can see the need to have both tray and dual cab. Big job though. Yeah trailers have their woes and advantages, but everythings a trade off
Too right mate, seems like everything in this world has its trade off.
Mod plate is all sorted, I've been talking to a engineer and he has approved my design/idea. I'm just waiting on material and couple other things to line up before I start chopping.
I don't really need a car at the moment I can't go anywhere, I live on the central coast so in lock down but ive got the missus car if need be and it should only take just over a week to do. Is a very daunting job but isn't really that big just technical to get right, the worst thing is once cut and welded up I have to wait for the engineer to inspect in person before I can continue.

Running off genie you'd be better to run .8, basically the less power you take from the genie the better and more stable your sine wave will be which the mig needs to get a good stable arc, the stick is a bit more forgiving. But you should always check the manufacturer recommended generator size, otherwise the genie will surge to try keep up and that's what cooks the welder. If you want a really good mig kemppi make a 190 amp that will run off a 6kva but they are pricey because they are light years ahead with their inverter technology. Where I used to work we had a kemppi stick/tig was the smoothest welder I've ever used, I would love to be able to afford one.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
17,664 Posts
Welcome Aaron..
Looks like a well sorted rig you have there..You should jump over to the members ride section and start a build thread mate..I for one would be interested. (y)

·
Registered
nissan
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome Aaron..
Looks like a well sorted rig you have there..You should jump over to the members ride section and start a build thread mate..I for one would be interested. (y)
Thanks mate.
I will as soon as I start, just a bit hard juggling everything with these covid restrictions but it'll be happening soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts