Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was on my way home tonight when I got a distress call from my missus saying her car wont start. It's an 04 gu 4.8, 5 speed auto. When I got to her work I hooked up the jumper leads because it had the obvious signs of a flat battery ie: wont turn over, has one click from starter etc anyway I had no luck getting it running, has heaps of charge in the battery, all dash lights work etc but it wont turn over. I gave the starter a hit with a shifter(all I had with me) but still no luck. Has given no signs of a dodgy starter motor in recent days.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm thinking it must be the starter.

·
Registered
nissan 4.8ti gas/petrol
7 Posts
G'Day

I had the same problem with mine about 1 month ago had racv tow it for me to local mechanic and it turned out to be the starter motor.My wife went to pick up our son from his friends house got there picked him up to return home and car wouldnt start.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU 4
31 Posts
Check the Auto

Hey Check your auto box by putting it in neutral then to park also it could be your auto selector which tell your ecu what gear you nare in Hopes that helps

·
Registered
846 Posts
maybe worth checking the battery connections (including the earth connections) and the starter connections before going for a new starter.

·
Registered
NISSAN GU PATROL
694 Posts
I pulled the starter out today, it's definately shagged.

What did you find that was wrong with your starter ?

I just had to replace mine as it was also shaged and just trying to figure out what happened as i was in the process of fitting a dual batt system and thats when it shat itself.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,064 Posts
It appears to be a bit of a common fault with the 4.8's. Mine did this earlier this year. Got back from a trip, started the car the next morning and it sounded like the battery was a little 'tired'. I figured it hadn't charged fully back up from camping so through the charger on it when I got home. Got up the next morning, took the charger off and it still sounded 'tired' so thought "hmm, weird, battery must be knackered" so went of to work. Stopped about 2km's short of work to pickup a bottle of water from the shop, came out and DEAD. RAC towed it to auto sparky and knackered starter motor. I had a mate with a 4.8 who had the same thing happen!

So it seems you get VERY little warning before the starter will die on these beats. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
nissan
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What did you find that was wrong with your starter ?
Bear with me I'm not to good with electrics, when I had it out I put the jumper leads on it to see if it was working and the armature??? was throwing forward but the gear wasnt turning. I has it rebuilt by my auto elec for $128.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts