Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a look at the pictures. seems that my old girl needs a major cometic surgery.
was just checking how bad it really is and it turns out pretty bad.
I know there is a thread further down, but I thought adding some pictures might be helpful to find the right solution.

The truck is the high roof. the pic is taken from the back, left side right on top of the gutter.There are a few more spots alongside the left hand gutter not as bad as this on though. what do you think? thank you

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Personally i would do a fibreglass repair with that and/or similar to that size
Some will argue thou
Once you start cutting grinding and repairing little damage like that for the untrained it turns into a nightmare very quickly
Theres a few threads on here regarding similar rust in the gutter
Do a little search ,you be the judge
Yes they are a pain to do there,they rust inside out,you wont know what youll find once you start digging around in the roof gutters

·
Registered
GU8 CRD
1,570 Posts
I just did mine by cutting out the rust, bashing down the edges then fibreglassing with woven fibreglass and epoxy. I used marine fairing filler and epoxy to get the shape back, and will give the inside a blast with tectyl when the painting is done. I was keen to weld it but my boily mate and some advice on this forum talked me out of it, pretty much saying what MQ MAD says above. I figure if it rusts through again, or somewhere else its the easiest way to keep patching it together. Here's some pics I took at the start:

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol
91 Posts
mix metal flec into your body filler or fibreglass. metal flec is like a body filer with metal in it becomes super tuff i did this for a mate some years ago and the rust has not come back yet

·
Allergic to IFS
nissan
1,005 Posts
The key to keeping rust away once you have decided to fix it is to make sure you get it all, it may be hard cutting huge chunks out of your pride and joy but if u try and skimp on it it will come back super fast. The other major factor is then excluding water and oxygen from the repaired area. Cover all bog work with primer and paint (primers are porous and actuall soak up water vapour from the air (bog does this too) and as much as possible appy an anti-rust agent such as tectyl or even something like black jack to the inside of the repaired panel.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree. problem is that the actual rust is sitting under the outer body panel. to get rid of it would mean to cut the gutter and the outer panel copletely off. And than I have to replace/fix the inner panel.
I have cut/grinded as much as i could. (Someone must have done that befor, becaus I found lots of filler) . Some spots are still not accesable. I m using fishoil and fishoil.
thanks for the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts