Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Here’s the senario.
Put 60lts of diesel in Patrol to go camping, get back home (1.5kms) hook up camper (1.2T) wait for mates to arrive, leave.

Get about 3kms from home, reach for second gear and lost all power, white smoke bellowing out the exhaust.
Pull over quickly and shut it down.
Check oil, water all good. fired it up again and running pretty rough and when accelerating there’s all the smoke again.
Got mate to tow my van home and limped the patrol home.

I’m not very knowledgeable with diesels and don’t know how to diagnose what’s happened.
Has the ZD30 gone bang, could it be a really bad batch of diesel (he asks with great hope, knowing all to well)
I put my spare MAF on but no change.
Turbo...... Diesel pump...... Head gasket?

Info: 2001 GUII ZD30, Oil+filter every 5000, 236000ks, oil catch can and 3" exaust
Up until then patrol was running perfectly.

Thanks in advance
Pep

·
Registered
977 Posts
Do a compression test if you can. If all is good, look elsewhere. Hope it hasnt expired on you.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
gqute94 said:
what colour is the smoke? if motor sounds like its running fine, but no power, i suspect the turbo.
Possibly white
pep said:
... white smoke bellowing out the exhaust.
Drain the oil, look for nastys in the oil.
and as said, compression test.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
316 Posts
truckster beat me to it!

what colour is the smoke......... hmmmmm

ha ha

·
Buy the Patrol Back
nissan patrol
1,460 Posts
Hi All

, white smoke bellowing out the exhaust.

Thanks in advance
Pep

I think this would have answered the colour of the smoke question......

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
10 Posts
That same thing happen to me 18 months ago, no power, white smoke, running rough, TURBO!
$2300.00 fitted

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone

I guess the first thing to do is to get it compression tested and rule out or confirm the engine issue.
And if that is ok look at fuel and turbo.

Does any know anyone in Caboolture Qld that would come out to compression test it?

Whitney, Yes i'm 100% sure it was diesel.

Pep

·
Registered
nissan
18 Posts
Don`t want to be the bearer of bad news mate but I can tell you if it is blowing heaps of white smoke it will be a typical 3ltr piston problem mine went at 130k 4 craked pistons and hole in number 3. Pull the head off and tell me I am wrong.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don`t want to be the bearer of bad news mate but I can tell you if it is blowing heaps of white smoke it will be a typical 3ltr piston problem mine went at 130k 4 craked pistons and hole in number 3. Pull the head off and tell me I am wrong.
Deep inside i know you're more than likely right, but i'm hanging on to any hope i have left.
As a blown engine means a couple of years of the road:(:(

Pep

·
Registered
nissan
100 Posts
Pep ,
i had a similar issue not too long ago exept it was black smoke . i changed the MAF and the problem went away . a few days later the Boss (wife ) told me it happened again ????? so i disconected the Chip and it hasn't missed a beat . i will put the chip back on soon to see if that is the cause of my issues .

My problem was intermittent. We left Eden to come back to Melbourne and about 50km into the trip it started bellowing black smoke. On idle it wasn’t blowing muck smoke only on acceleration and worse under load. I did notice that there is a delay in the RPM when you tap the accelerator pedal. It done this a few times and then it was fine all the way back home.

Good luck and I hope is a cheap fix.
Let us know your findings.

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
White smoke = unburnt fuel
and you know what that means

·
Registered
53 Posts
Check the turbo hoses

Hi Pep.

Check your hoses that go between the turbo and intercooler and between the intercooler and throttle body. It is possible that you have had one of the hoses split - I have had this problem before and it was the hose at the back of the intercooler that had split. It was impossible to see but I could feel it with my hand.

Hope this is your issue as the other options are all rather expensive..... And I have first hand experience with all the others....

Regards

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
More info.
Took the hose off the intake side of the turbo tonight and there's a fair bit
of oil in there. The impella seem to be pretty good.
Also removed the hose that goes to the oil catch can from the intake pipe
and found that there's a lot of smoke coming out of that hose and
the oil cap when removed.
I've been told that that means the oil seals in the turbo are gone.

Does this sound correct?

Pep
Ill start a new thread on this
Thanks all

1 - 15 of 15 Posts