Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help, I have just picked up my 1989 gq pet/gas auto and it has a factory rear locker.
I tested it out today and it will lock up but will not unlock....Help.
The guy that I bought it off only used it once and I am now worried that it has it will unlock.
I have flicked it to the off, and the light is still on and rear wheels are locked up, I have driving around on grass slowly turning side to side and no luck.
any help or tips from someone that has got one would be very heplful???

·
Registered
73 Posts
keep driving around on grass mine does the same thing, after 30 mins or so it pops out, used to work fine then one day it started doing that gather its damaged inside replacing mine with a air locker very soon

·
Registered
nissan patrol
405 Posts
solonoids on firewall sometime stuff up, bit crc may free them up, or you may have hole in rubber lines, check for cracks/leaks
swap hoses over on diff or solenoid and will release

·
CATCH ME IF YOU CAN
412 Posts
Just thought of a quick fix. Look in the above thread, and about half way down you will see a picture of the 2 solienods that operate the rear locker. Just swap the 2 hoses over(top to bottom, bottom to top) this should unlock the locker. The solienod to unlock the locker has power to it all the time, so it is usually the first to crap itself. You will need to replace these solienods to get it to work properly. If this doesn't work, then you will most likely have a broken air line, or an air line has come off. Check the above thread for some other useful ideas.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
nissan
54 Posts
A quick and cheap fix is to go to your local wreckers and find a 3 port solenoid, which are found under the bonnet of numerous makes/models. (Ford Ranger/Mazda BT50 is one) and simply swap it over with your stuffed solenoid. Its much cheaper than what Nissan want for the complete solenoid unit.The factory lockers are well known for being a little slow to engage/disengage. Hope this helps.

BTW Ghost, not sure who does an Air Locker to replace the factory locker, I'm 99.9% sure the ARB Air Locker does not fit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mines a no brainer i have 2 GU diffs sitting in the shed to go in just been to lazy to swap them over. Will then pass my old diffs off to a mate for helping me swap them over. I started a few weeks ago welding on the bracing to the front diff before it goes in and will finish that next week hopefully. Was thinking of bracing the rear but its a lot of work and i feel i will never break it as it is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your help guys, Diff unlocked after about 15 mins of slow (grass) driven on it. Have not tried it again, will do when have a bit more time. Thanks again.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
180 Posts
g'day i have the same troubles with mine normally if we are out in the bush and i know we not far from the end i will unlock it, unless i need it then i will just drive about 30 - 40kph on the gravel wont do any damage unless you spin the wheels on hard ground or turn quickly, they normally unlock quicker with a bit of wheel spin in mud/clay/sand, thats what i have found with mine and the father inlaw has found with his old one...

·
Registered
nissan
59 Posts
I've got a factory locker in mine and it was slow to engage/disengage, gave me the [email protected]#t's so i put a $20 supercheap compressor in and plumbed it up to that instead of relying on vaccum, work's a treat. All you have to do is run a single line from the compressor to a "T" to feed both the supply line's on the solenoid's at once and switch the hose's around on the out going side to make the switch work the correct way. Only feed's bout 25-30psi and hasen't missed a beat in last 3 yrs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts