Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
Discussion Starter #1
Ok you techheads, I need to get a tablet for the truck but I don't want to spend a gazillion dollars on one. I need to be able to run an app and connect to de web and that is about it. :confused:

Suggestions please! :)

Foo

Registered
nissan
Coles was doing a Pendo Pad for $50 a couple of weeks ago. I bought one and it's fine. Don't know if they still have any but worth a look.

Registered
Have a look at a Microsoft Surface Pro 2. Should be able to get them cheaply now that the Pro 3 is out. Will run everything a windows machine will...

Reactions: Foo

Registered
Aldi have a 10.1'' tablet for $249 which goes on sale 1/11/14. But I think that is a bit much to pay for what you want it for. you can get a good 7'' tablet for around $100.
Try and stay away from any tablet that charges from a mini usb port as they fck up after a while and don't charge. I have a hp slate 7'' that I brought for one of the kids that has fcked up because of that...
But I don't know much about tablets, only what I have experienced.

Premium Member
nissan
Before you buy an el cheapo tablet compare the sensitivity of the touch screen to a better quality unit. My wife was set to buy a sub $100 tablet until she used one of them after using a $200 Samsung. The cheap one was advertised with a capacitive screen which all the better units use but it was still not in the same league as the name brand item. She end up spending a bit more to get one she was happy using.

Cheers,

Registered
Before you buy an el cheapo tablet compare the sensitivity of the touch screen to a better quality unit. My wife was set to buy a sub $100 tablet until she used one of them after using a $200 Samsung. The cheap one was advertised with a capacitive screen which all the better units use but it was still not in the same league as the name brand item. She end up spending a bit more to get one she was happy using.

Cheers,
That is a very good point about the sensitivity of the touch screens as I too have experienced that with some tablets. Some were sensitive some were not But they were all around $100 cheap tablets ..

Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
You will hate a cheap tablet. Its like anything else in life: you get what you pay for.
Samsung Galaxy Tabs are nice, but a little pricey.
Surface Pro tablets are good quality units, but Windows 8 is bipolar rubbish and there are not many apps available so check if the apps you want are available for Windows. The Surface Pro can run many programs that you laptop/desktop can but keep in mind it doesn't have a whole lot of processing power. I wouldn't even look at a non Pro Surface, with those you can't run fully featured programs and are stuck with the Windows App Store and its 3 apps.
... Okay there's more than 3, but its severely lacking compared to the Android and iOS app stores.
Lenovo Tablets seem like good quality and value, but I haven't used one and as such can't comment too much.

We have a cheapo tablet at home, its been used once by every member of the family and that is it. It's painfully slow, the screen is rubbish, no memory or processing power and it makes me want to beat my own face with a hammer.
It was given to my dad as a freebie and he got badly ripped off.
Did you know you could be ripped off when you're given something for nothing? I didn't until I used the POS.

Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies so far fellas. :cool:

Foo

Registered
when do you want this by? have a look at a nexus tablet, they run what is called in nerd world "vanilla android". they do not have any fancy skin over the user interface or any extra software on them. The nexus devices tend to be a bit cheaper, but the are a great unit. I still have a galaxy nexus phone (3 years old) and use it every day, and one of my good mates has a nexus 7 tablet that he has had for 2 years. Both devices run like a dream even though they are considered "old"

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/10/23/nexus-9-vs-nexus-7-2012-what-buyers-need-to-know/

Reactions: Foo

Registered
nissan patrol
Just bought the kids Asus Nexus 7 tablets, to replace the cheapo ones would got them last x-mas which both broke.

We got factory refirb (2013) models for $130 each. The difference over the cheapo ones is amazing. Quad core processor and 32 gb storage.

Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
Discussion Starter #11
I never thought about factory refurbs. :cool: Care to tell me who/where it was you got them, Snappy? :)

Foo

Registered
nissan patrol
I'll get the details from the missus, she'll be home soon. We ordered them on Monday and they arrived on Thursday via courier.

Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for that mate. :cool:

Foo

The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol

Cheers,
And that is the best advice I see.

If it is for work and you want it as it will make you more efficient / productive, then spend a bit more and make sure the machine is well built and can take the rough and tumble is my two bobs worth.

The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
Just bought the kids Asus Nexus 7 tablets, to replace the cheapo ones would got them last x-mas which both broke.

We got factory refirb (2013) models for $130 each. The difference over the cheapo ones is amazing. Quad core processor and 32 gb storage.
That's a good idea, have seen various refurbs of one pc / gadget type or another over the years and never heard anyone complain.

Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
Discussion Starter #17

Premium Member
nissan
Thumbs up, as long as you are happy with a 7" screen. My wife wanted a 7" tablet because the size was so convenient. She end up buying an 8" Samsung, partly because her aging eyes found the text on the screen a bit easier to read than on a 7". This would not be so much of an issue for a younger person.

Cheers,

Premium Member
nissan
I guess I should give a bit more background to our purchase of a tablet 5 months ago.

Part of our normal kit on our touring holidays around Australia is a laptop PC. We also have a smart phone but the laptop does duty downloading pics from the camera and getting them organised. Its larger screen also does a better job of web surfing when looking for accommodation or local attractions and for this we just tether it to the phone.

This year we headed off to Europe and the UK for 8 weeks and a laptop was just too big and heavy for us to consider taking when a cheap tablet would do almost as well. With this in mind my wife went shopping for a cheap tablet. On first glance at what was available she thought that she would end up with something suitable for well under $100. It wasn't until she was able to actually try a few out that she found the cheapest ones frustrating to use because of either poor touch screens or sluggish speeds. She ended up with an 8" Samsung for $185 as a compromise between the various conflicting requirements of reasonable features, good speed, cheap price, compact size and easy to read screen. Other people will have different priorities but I'm glad she didn't get a tablet that she would have spent all holiday complaining about. Too many times I've been in the situation where I've paid twice because we thought we couldn't afford or didn't need the dearer item.

Cheers,

Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
That tablet looks good Foo. Should handle most apps and web browsing no worries. The one thing that would turn me off it is its relatively low screen resolution, but unless you like reading very small text I'm sure it will be okay.
Still, it looks very good for the price.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts