Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It sounds like the fan hitting the radiator. Only when moving. A fluttering and regular clattering. Comes and goes but is there most of the time.

Fan seems tight, belts are tight, nothing is sticking out or in the way. Noise seems to emanate from right front. Can't find anything loose. It's got me stumped. When stopped there is no noise even with the engine running. Some sort of bearing in trouble?

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,583 Posts
might seem like an idiot answer. but did you check tyres for stones stuck in tread.

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check it i1. Any advice welcome. It sounds like the noise you'd get if you held a ruler against the fan while it was turning.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Hubs arn't locked ??? CV's ???

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Jack it up and spin the front wheels.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Check for clowns under the right front. Get some "Tony Abbott OFF" spray to stop them coming back.

All jokes aside, its not a dicky brake pad wearing out? Or something wrapped around the tailshaft?

You dont have any mates playing silly buggers?

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have any mates. Tomorrow I'll take it for a run on a hill and try it going up and down and coasting down with the engine off. That should indicate whether it is the engine or not.

I'll also do what you suggested jeffs. Brake pad sounds interesting BB.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Good luck with it esty, hope its something not major....

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Mine had similar was the inner guard on tyre where mudflap had gone and no screws to retain it

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nah. I'm always very careful near Dan's. I know there are people whose grip on reality depends on how much grog they consume. Often they are quite pissed and unsteady on their feet, but, if that is the price they pay to keep the demons away, who can blame them?

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you think it sounds like the fan hitting the radiator it very well could be "
Have a caption hook at your engine mounts.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Also consider a loose wheel weight.... I had one on the GU and drove me freaking nuts for weeks. tick tick tick

Found it when I had the old girl drive it slowly around in a car park with me walking beside it listening.

Was obviously proportional to speed. Is yours got any relation to road speed or engine rpm?

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
17,254 Posts
Renee didnt leave her earring's in your ashtray did she pal?

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks BB and .45. Just having a 'poor me' moment. I don't have any mates who know anything about cars. As for Renee, anything she would have left in the car would be unlikely to rattle.

But ... there has been progress. After crawling all over it and under it, I found nothing loose, engine mounts were fine. No signs of damage and no abrasions. Now I feel like the Hunchback of Notre Dame. I checked the tyres and guards etc. etc. What I did discover was that the left hub lock was half-way between 'Free' and 'Lock.' I put it to 'Free' and went for a drive ... noise has gone.

It can't be that simple can it? Jeesus, I need a beer, I feel as if I've spent an hour on a rack. Getting too stiff for the writhing and crawling game.

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
Cool,, Fixed . Yeh bugger the ground, I try to stay off it too... Hoist wouldn't that be nice, even in the driveway.....

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Years ago some people used to have a hole in the ground in the garage. Don't see that these days. Not up here anyhow. Damn useful for a 'do it yourself' type. Guess there aren't too many of them about either. Mind you, I look under the bonnet of the Mazda 6 occasionally and it scares me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts