Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, within the recent week i had to change over a gasket on the transmission pan on my '89 GQ

today after a very extensive time in the bush (and getting majorly bogged) i on the way home stopped off at the servo and noticed that there was a leak coming from the small rectangular hole where the converter housing meets the rear of the engine, i found this a bit strange and my mate who i went with (whose a mechanic) said it was that i have over filled the transmission and since it had reached a certain temp it was just leaking out the excess fluid...

my question to you out there is... does this sound some what correct???... or have i done something in my adventures over the weekend that may have caused this to happen? i was pushing it pretty hard and am still pretty new to the 4x4 scene, the last thing i really want to hear is that it is a rear main seal...

any info would be helpful, it still selects gears n doesn't slip, and i have looked in the Gregory's manual but it has not proven to be of any help.....

cheers!

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,054 Posts
Did you check the fluid level? That would be the first thing I'd do. Changing the pan gasket won't cause any issues as long as you did it right, and for the life of me I cant work out how you'd f**k that up, so I think your safe there.
I'd be inclined to agree with your mate, to be honest.

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i checked the fluid level and all was good, and im a fitter & turner, so changing a gasket is no different from any other gasket that i have ever changed out there before, so i know i didnt stuff that up, im just wondering if its possible to do damage to the converter or if there is a seal that i have busted or something for the fluid to be leaking out, when i come home it was still leaking and its a good 1.5 hr drive from where we were, but when i come back from eating dinner bout an hr later or so, it wasnt leaking any more....

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had a similar problem with a commodore overfilled with oil towing a heavy van up steep hill on 40c day smoke pouring out the back of car, Pulled over and oil was leaking onto exhaust.
Ring up my auto trans mate and he said don't worry about it must be overfilled and it did show high on dipstick so just continued on and no further trouble.
Hope that all your problem is, Sounds like it.

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,195 Posts
if it didn't boil the trans fluid then you have a leaking front pump seal, trans out job.

·
Registered
nissan
67 Posts
On manual it means the rear mains gone, so I would be tipping it's that!

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont know, i had another look this morning as its not so dark, it looks like that hole is supposed to be there, the leaking has stopped... for the moment... gonna take it for a drive later on and see what happens, hopefully its done all the leaking it needs to, to even itself out if i have just over filled it, if not, then it might be a front pump seal...

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey found out today that it is the seal that sits behind the torque converter, must have got the fluid too hot and it has busted, so its time for me to drop the box out and put a new seal in it... F*$#... wasnt what i was hoping for..... oh well.. "such is life" lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts