Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Help needed buying GU

4K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  GUTourer 
#1 ·
Gday all, i am after some help with chosing a GU i am looking at spending around the 20 mark and have seen a lot of 1998 2003 patrols for around that price. The question i have is what should i steer away from as i have heard so many storys about the ZD30's failing, so far i have seen a couple of nice 2002 - 2003 patrols but am !*it scared about buying one due to the hole shadow casted over these motors. Tomorrow i will be looking at a 2003 3.0l st with 212000 k's dual batt, snorkel, bullbar, spotties 1 owner it looks real tidy they want 20 but might be able to get it down a little. Im looking at setting it up as a good tourer that will eventually tow a camper trailer later on. Ok enough baffling on the year and k's of the car i will be looking at tomorrow should that be fine?

Thanks Ian

#2 ·
Ian, Research these forums is going to help you make your decision.

Personally I am a 4.2td man and I dont know enough about the 3ltr to help other than to say I have read all the bad things about them like you.

However, from what I have glanced at on these forums it appears as though with a few modifications there are plenty of happy 3ltr owners with high kilometres.

So start searching the forums mate all your answers are in here somewhere.

#5 · (Edited)
Value for money go an earlier 2.8tdi in good condition and that you feel drives okay in terms of taking off. If it takes off okay, then you will be able to improve that by double. If under 2k revs it hardly takes off even in 1st gear, don't touch it.

4.2td is a basic tough old reliable truck motor and in a patrol is very good. Will cost you more and may not be necessary for your needs. You will see 3 litres for sale everywhere so you will have lots of choices for them. I don't like the earlier ones but if you have a bit more to spend the later 3Ltr CRD models are a very nice sweet rig!! ;) i think if you go 03 + in a 3ltr you should be fine, just look after it well. As for 200k + kms it all depends on the vehicles past life and treatment. Always a small risk you take ;)

Dave.

#6 ·
If under 2k revs it hardly takes off even in 1st gear, don't touch it.
Sorry to hijack your thread GQTrol, But what causes this Monsta GU? Mine has started getting a bit slower to take off :/

Next Patrol I buy will be a 4.2 TD because of the reliability and power, Ive had too many problems with my 2.8, which is not to say they're a great motor, but they definitely need to be pampered and looked after alot.

#8 · (Edited)
Many years ago when i was looking to buy my first patrol i found a 2.8td cheap at auctions, it looked really good and tidy. It had 250k on the clock so i took it for a test drive. When i pulled out of the driveway to take off, it was so bad that a car was coming a fair way away and almost hit me. I finally got it going but under 2k revs it just died and had no boost at all.

Once you got it going like 3k revs + it was fine. The salesman told me thats the 2.8,s for you, that is how it is bla bla hope you don't have towing in mind bla bla... I said i doubt thats how it is, either the engine is tired or the turbo is on its way out. It can sometimes be just a small problem easy to fix but i would not risk it.

Anyways, i found another one with 190k and bought that. It went really well. Then i did the usual mods to it and it was awesome!! "GQTroll" l Would recommend a well running 2.8td for bang for buck still. ;) "Fazza'90" Whats your boost pressure?

#9 ·
Love my 2.8. got the usual mods and it goes really well. the best mod is a 3" mandrel bent exhaust with no muffler. next is a lift pump. highly recommend the 2.8. in saying that I'm contemplating a rb30 turbo conversion. just for the price of repairs.

cheers
troy

#16 ·
ok well the 04 series 3 was a peice of ****e looked good in the pics but in person was thrashed, oil leaks, undercarridge was pretty beatin about interior was torn plus plus, but anyway. Ok i also got time to look at a couple of 2006/2007 3.0 auto dx models from about 22g to 26g with around the120k mark.I didnt mind the simplicity of them except for no electric windows. Would it be hard to fit electric windows to a dx do they already have the same wiring harness but just need the interior door panel and internals for the doors?

#17 ·
Yeah pics can be deceiving, need to check it out good. Yeah i love those 06-07 dx,s. They are 3ltr CRD and have that cool rear side window that slides, its cool i nearly bought one of them. They got big black plastic flares, look tuff. Dunno about the windows, its good exercise for your arms to wind windows up and down. ;) I saved on gym fees!!

Did you go and drive / test that 03 model ?

#20 ·
Ian,

If you want to save some bucks and have time under your belt to do a bit of running around and learn your troll, a 3.0 ST is a great option. Yes they have history, but if you get one thats very clean with a blown motor you can have the rig with mods + fully optioned for 20K ish.
Then you have a brand new donk, all the mods you can ever use and be in front.

That said, I knew what I was buying after reading heaps on here and made that very decision. I am stocked! The troll drives and pulls like a dream and has exceeded my expectations, given I came from a Landcruiser Sahara (dirty word).

As the saying goes, "Failing to prepare is being prepared to fail. 2000mdle GU on wards are no problem , but you must do the N.A.D.S for piece of mind.
Good luck mate

#22 ·
gday guys, i am still deciding on what to get i have even thought of going out of my budget and getting a 06 4.2 with 137k's there is one over here atm for $45000 or 07/08 ST 3.0 Patrol there is a car place here in perth that has ex fleet ones with around 40 to 50 k's for around the $40000 mark :confused:
plus it also depends on what the bank man tells me haha
I will keep you posted on what i will decide

#23 ·
That must be one of the last 4.2s.

Watch out for ex-fleet cars, last thing you want is a Patrol that's been driven around mine sites.

If you're lucky you might find a CRD 3.0 which the owner has purchased extended warranty for, an 07 would therefore be warrantied until 2013 (but there are two three-year extensions available, one is for 100,000km and the other is for 150,000km so check that). Also make sure it is a Nissan extended warranty, not a dealer warranty.

#24 ·
Hi there,

I have a 2004 GU3 Patrol, which now has 215,000km on the clock. I have completed the NADS work, and I am very pleased with how the engine performs. The only thing left for me to do now is a 3" exhaust system.

The bloke with the 2.8 with all the gutless issues, does the 2.8 have a MAF sensor. If so, and it fails, that will give you exactly the same problem. I had one go on my 3L early on in its ownership history, it was like driving a 1.0L Patrol.

#25 ·
Yeah if your going that age vehicle, im leaning in favour of a nice CRD 3.0L. Im a fan of those later model CRD 3.0L rigs!! They very nice and go really well. ;)

If you were going mainly serious offroad rig, then i would just get the 4.2, but for everything / tourer CRD 3L very niiiice!

#26 ·
ok i think i need to go drive an auto crd patrol and see what they are like as i can get one of those 08 model with around 40k's for about 40g with twin wheel carrier good steel bar suited for winch, snorkel and st model ex govt with full service history.

#28 ·
i will just add somthing quickly, if you do buy a 3ltr somthing really important to do in your first service, is get your air flow meter checked and most probably replaced.
this will cost you around $330 fitted and will be one of the big engine savers you can do for these 3ltrs. air flow meters are good for around 100-150 thou k's

cheers joel.:p

#29 ·
ok i have been and had a test drive of both the auto and manual 08 st crd patrol I liked them both and because i would prefer the manual over auto its what i will aim for once we sell our house in Melb as long as we get good enough money lol i found this one,
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars...ing|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294963846 4294963358 465 416 904&PriceFrom=465&PriceTo=416&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=21&silo=1011

#30 ·
ok i have been and had a test drive of both the auto and manual 08 st crd patrol I liked them both and because i would prefer the manual over auto its what i will aim for once we sell our house in Melb as long as we get good enough money lol i found this one,
2008 NISSAN PATROL ST GU 6 MY08 Cars For Sale in WA - carsales.com.au - carsales.com.au 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294963846 4294963358 465 416 904&PriceFrom=465&PriceTo=416&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=21&silo=1011

Yep Beautiful!! ;)

#32 ·
GQTroll said:
gday guys, i am still deciding on what to get i have even thought of going out of my budget and getting a 06 4.2 with 137k's there is one over here atm for $45000 or 07/08 ST 3.0 Patrol there is a car place here in perth that has ex fleet ones with around 40 to 50 k's for around the $40000 mark :confused:
Go the 4.2 and live happily ever after.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.