Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a photo of my diesel / gas filter, a BRC FJ1 HE filter and I am trying to replace the cartridge filter shown. I have removed the two circlips at either end and expected the end caps to just fall away, no such luck, they are stuck hard. Maybe they screw out, but do not want to seem to rotate either. Anyone replaced one of these ?

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
17 Posts
The ends should just pop out. They are mongrels to put back in too!

Just go to anyone who fits gas systems to cars (petrol or diesel) and they'll sell you a filter for not many $$. A couple of hose clamps and you are done. Most of them say that you don't need it anyway.

I had trouble finding the proper replacement for mine and did it this way. Cheap easy fix.

Cheers

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mission accomplished.
For the benefit of anyone in the future. I put an end nozzle in the vice with suitable cloth wrapping around the spout and wriggled it and it finally 'popped'.

The end cap is retained by the rubber O ring which is sitting in the housing in it's own recessed enclosure, no wonder it wouldn't just fall out. Filter is grubby so I think it's worth while, thanks for replying Chris.

Attachments

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Cool. I didn't know they had a filter.. There you go :)

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Thanks Porks,
I am not even sure where or if there is a filter on minehad the regulator serviced a few years ago when the diaphragm started leaking, but have done nothing to the system other than that. I might have a better look.

Where was it mounted before the tank or after it?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dronus there are two filters required to do the job, the other one is inside the brass bowl on my Impco/BRC ET98 Solenoid shut off valve, very small about 35mm diam x 27mm high and there are two types of these, mine in the photo is OLDER type. The ET98 valve is underneath the black hose in photo, mine is mounted upside down?

Geordie, the filters are mounted under the bonnet. First there is the one in the shut off valve which is activated on/off from your inside cab switch. Then the gas travels to the Reducer, the round unit in photo, then to FJI HE filter. The square box in centre of photo is the computer. This is a Diesel Gas Technologies set up so don't expect yours to be exactly the same, there are a lot of different solenoids and filters.

Chris, you're certainly correct about getting the 'mongrel' end caps back on. I finished up using a vice to compress them back on.

Anyone attempting this job, BE SURE TO TURN OFF GAS AT TANK FIRST. After doing so, I ran the engine with the solenoid turned on to reduce pressure and to use up any gas in the line.
When I undid the solenoid there was still a reasonable gas pressure present, so don't remove the bowl retaining nut completely until any pressure is relieved and don't have your face OVER the job whilst undoing nut. Wear safety goggles as precaution.

Almost forgot, I imported 3 of each filter from Poland for an all up price of $31.45 (including $7 postage), postage alone from Italy=$26, ONE set of each in Aust= approx $70...post time took 16 days.

Attachments

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
Cheers. I'll have to go have a look under my bonnet. I have a DGA system too.

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,656 Posts
geez that will mean you will have to clean your engine. first time for everything ha ha

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dronus, mine is DGT...Diesel Gas TECHNOLOGIES, I'm assuming yours is Diesel Gas AUSTRALIA, two different companies and set ups, may or may not use same filters ?

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
No worries cheers ill have a squiz

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Thanks Porks I will also have a good look on the weekend.

I have the Diesel Gas Australia system. The computor part is inside under the passenger dash with a USB connection behind glovebox. The boost connection is up on the firewall and the regulator is in the same spot as yours but the shut off valve one on the tank and one on the inlet to the regulator. So I assume a filter in between.

·
Registered
nissan
37 Posts
Please do tell if you find any filters for diesel gas Aust system. I thought there was just a drain plug on the converter to drain the gas puss. Are you guys still getting the 30l of gas to 1 main tank of diesel? Mine seams to only use the 30l gas to main and sub diesel. It used the 30l gas to 90l diesel when new,100,000kms ago but seams to be restricted somehow I think.(maybe filters). Wouldn't imagine it to de-tune itself

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
I followed the hose all the way from the tank to the regulator but no filter. So I will have a better look on the weekend with a torch to see if there is something at the regulator or tank end.
Regarding you usage, I had mine tuned for a fairly low usage because I also run a Rapid chip and other mods. I also have 215L of diesel so it runs out of gas well before that. Typically two gas fills for the full diesel. I also just switch it off when it runs out on longer trips and go diesel only unless I want the bit of extra power.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe you guys don't have the BRC FJ1 HE in line filter, but if you go back to post 6 you will see I mentioned the small filter INSIDE the shut off valve so it will not be an obvious find.

I suggest you find the make of the valve and do a Google search to see if your particular shut off valve does have a filter.

I never worry about consumption figures, a lot of the time the lpg is turned off. My reason for having it is purely to do with towing my 3.2t van, it's like an extra gear and great for passing. I do probably get around 700kms if used with diesel constantly and towing.
My tank is supposed to be 28Litres, because of the 80% rule I,ve never got more than 24Litres into the tank. One problem I have had since new is a lot of blow back at the filler when finished filling, not all the time, maybe 50%. I'm now going to limit my fill to 20Litres and see if that solves it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts