Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all.
My truck started having a strange issue today. When accelerating with the 1.8T van hooked up, it occasionally & suddenly revs hard and the turbo spools up but no extra acceleration happens. I immediately lift off and accelerate again (gently) with no problem. This happens at about 2000 revs in 3rd or 4th gear. It revs to about 3000 suddenly with associated turbo whistle.
My chip is and has been switched off for a while. Donk has done 188 thou.
Can any of you 2.8 guru's suggest possible causes? any other info required just ask.
I also have ECU talk installed but do not know what the ICC and CS values are or what readings I should be getting? Any help here also appreciated.
Hope I have explained this well enough.

Mike

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
The engine can only rev up like you described and not accelerate if the clutch is slipping.

I would bet your clutch is stuffed.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Clutch is a good place to start.

As for ECUTalk, any codes coming up?

·
Registered
nissan
1,194 Posts
Safari tuff clutch , wouldnt drive it if possible ! dont wont to be on the side of the road in the middle of no where !, almost happened to me ! just got home , all gears gone and reversed up my drive about a inch :(

·
Registered
Nissan
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
G'day again,
Drove the rig into Port Lincoln today and it is now very obviously the clutch - completely rooted. Local 4wd guy has a solid fly conversion kit on a rocket from Adelaide to be fitted Tuesday( bloody public holidays). Thanks for your replies.
I can think of worse places to be stuck for a weekend than the tip of the Eyre Peninsular. Have hire car - will explore, woulda been more fun in a 4x4.
;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts