Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i own a stock GU patrol 2009, and iv encountered a problem. Iv been experincing:
1.Hard starts, first start stalls, plus the RPM doesn't rise to its max at cold start.
2.The Car vibrates when i put it in gear.
3.On full throttle i don't get full power.
4.rough idle

Things i changed:
1.new fuel injectors
2.new spark plugs
3.new oxygen sensor+filter
4.cleaned throttle body
5.cleaned intake manifold
6. new fuel filter

thank you for your time. i hope i put enongh information.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I take it the car is out of warranty. Have you had it since new?

Have you checked for a vacuum leak?

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
4.8 going on the year I guess. You really need to get it on diagnostic computer this will be quickest way to fault find but then you still need the parameters to what the engine should be operating at. A nun diagnostic computer will only display values and fault codes were as the Nissan one will highlight faults. That’s what I would do as I don’t like to waste a lot of money and time. Just plug in find the fault change the part and go. Here is the catch thou. If you go Nissan and do OBD computer you must have a oil change and filter at Nissan or at some Garage close by. The computer gets a bit jumpy on old oil and it ask the mechanics to perform this prior to doing a ECU test.

As above. A few weeks ago dint someone on here have the same problem. You need to get the Patrol to a garage that has some spares they can plug in and fault find.

Close the wallet and seek some good friendly advice on here before you do any more spending.

Is it manual or auto?
what is cold start. ambient temps in your location
Hard starts: how long do you crank the engine before it starts.
first start stalls: with or with out the accel pedal on floor
plus the RPM doesn't rise to its max at cold start: when it warms up does give you full RPM then.
The Car vibrates when i put it in gear: What is RPM doing when you put in gear in gear or R- does stop when in N or P
On full throttle i don't get full power: do you mean you dont get full RPM
When first turn the key can you hear the fuel pump start.
Open the fuel tank cap and check the returns at cold and hot
did these problem start after going off road or after a refuel
Do you have the fuel filter connected correctly - flow direction
What temperature is needle showing on cluster
Rough idle on the RPM or rough idle in the engine bay from the engine
Any smoke from the exhuast at any RPM
If you unplug the MAF with what happens to the engine
Have you check your coil pack to make sure they are seat correctly after you did the plugs
did you check the coil pack while you did the plugs
Are you doing the maint or a garage.
well these a few small things to check to help build up a better idea.

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I take it the car is out of warranty. Have you had it since new?

Have you checked for a vacuum leak?
wouldn't a vacuum leak have some sort of hissing sound. coz i looked around and i dint hear any. Im going to take it to diagnostic computer and see what they have to say. and thank you for the warm welcome.

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the warm welcome. Im going to take it to a diagnostics computer. should i need to check for fuel pressure? coz i havent done that yet. thank you.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,213 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A bit of history (as well as a few answers to Oilrig6's questions) on the vehicle might help too. I am wondering why a 2009 model would need new injectors? was there another issue or was this just a reaction?

The first place to start is the simple things, as Squalo says, rule out a vacuum leak before anything, remembering a vacuum leak can come from a leaking manifold gasket anywhere in the manifold system. Has any other work been done on the vehicle which could have lead to these issues?

Edit: no a vacuum leak will not always result in an audible clue.

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Answering questions:
1. its automatic
2.cold start is when the engine is in its coolest temp. i start it, it stalls, the second time it works. but the rmp usually goes up to 1500 at first start to worm up, but now it hits 700 max.
3.Hardstarts: it dosent take long, but longer than when i first got it.
4.full throttle i dont get full power, as in the rmp dosent rise as quick as it used to.
5. everything i did was at the garage.

·
Registered
nissan
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1.car is Auto.
2.morning starts, cranking doesn't take that long but longer than when i first got it.
3.The first time stall is without throttle.
4.when the RPM doesn't rise to its max at start up, it usualy goes to 2400 and then decreases, not 1800 then decreases.
5.When i put it in gear the RPM drops and car starts to vibrate, but when i start moving it goes away.
6.Yes i do hear the fuel pump start, Plus i used fuel additives and they helped a bit but then the same problem started again.
7.Fuel filter is connected properly.
8.No smoke from car.
And i took it to the garage when i installed the changes i made.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts