Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey lads,
My n/a td42 has seized going through a water crossing. At first I thought it took in some water but I cannot find any water. I've had the sump off, starter out, rocker cover off and inspection plate for timing gears off and everything looks fine. But the bitch won't turn. Is it possible the timing gears further inside are buggered or a piston to seize for some reason? I'm at a loss and don't know what else to do. You're help and advise (especially from an expert) would be very much appreciated.
Cheers Allan
:headwall:

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope! I can't get it to. Either way. It's got me stuffed. Valves seem to move freely at rocker arms and no obvious teeth damage to timing gear or starter motor.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,364 Posts
so the filters were dry? Maybe try to take the glow plugs out and rotate it by hand?

·
Give it some goat
nissan
2,697 Posts
Pulled out the injectors? When you had the sump off you didn't happen to see a snapped rod at all? Last engine I had that carried on like yours had a snapped rod. What exactly happened, driving through water (presume deep) and then it just stopped?

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It took a smidgen of water because the filters were wet. Not saturated but damp. That was 2 weeks ago so I would've thought the oil would be milky by now if water got through the filters. I've taken the glow plugs out and still can't turn it.

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah something along those lines. The water was only foot and a half deep but it was a big hole so I dropped in. Got half way through and it just stopped. No loud bangs no chugging or starving for fuel just stopped. I had a good look at the rods and saw no signs of any problems. Mind you I'm no mechanic so I may have missed something. WTF?

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Is it possible that the clutch plate has rusted/seized to the fly wheel.

Is it in gear when you are trying to start it?

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anything could be possible at the moment. Its out of gear, glow plugs out. Cranked with the starter and by hand but stuck.

·
Give it some goat
nissan
2,697 Posts
If it cranked on the starter that good news, its not completely farked, well unlikely. What was the oil level, coolant like? Both before and after?

·
Registered
nissan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not so good. Starter works but wont turn the motor. Fluid levels were good. I just had it serviced the week prior to this ****. $506 too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts