Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my patrol it had a smaller compressor installed under the bonnet together with all the wiring done to a rock-switch in the dash. Very tidy job but I was told the compressor was almost gone. It still runs but is slow and I took the sellers word for it.

I recently bought a tigerz11 thumper compressor but as this one is bigger it did not fit as a direct swap. So far I have been keeping the compressor in the back but it isn't a great solution and it takes space I really want to use for other things.

I have two option of hard mounting the compressor as I see it. The first thought was to make space under the bonnet so I can keep the wiring done. the second option which I really like is the space in the rear quarter panel. However this is my first patrol and I have no idea how big this space is and if I would fit a Thumper compressor in there. I also have black widow drawers mounted which could make this operation more difficult.

So here is my question: If you look at the pictures below the are two pipes with crinkeled isolation on them. If I could move these as well as the thinner black pipe closer to the original compressor I would be able to fit the Thumper under the bonnet.

What are these pipes? And would it be possible to re-route them without too much hassle? I would probably have someone do this for me but is uncertain who would do such as thing. Any ideas?

I have asked a couple of people and got a couple of different answers so I thought I was better off asking on this forum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andreas

·
Registered
nissan
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not feeling as bad anymore :D 68 views and still no one who knows what they are and if they can be altered.

·
Registered
nissan
198 Posts
silver insulated ones are just for coolant, you can re route them as you wish, the black pipe i would say is just a vacuum line of sorts and yeah you could bend them to a certain extent but would be neater to source some other pipe. with all this been said thats awfully close to the turbo and that thing gets pretty hot, id be looking at mounting the compressor in the back or under your seat. compressors dont like to much heat i give you the tip.

·
Registered
nissan
281 Posts
The larger pipes with the crinkled isolation are coolant pipes to your heater.
The smaller black ones are vacuum to your brake booster and clutch booster.

·
Registered
nissan
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I was worried about the location might not be ideal. Maybe it is worth looking into the quarter panel a bit more. The threads I have seen make it look very tidy. I am just a bit hesitant on my own engineering skills. Only one way to find out I guess.

For you who have done the quarter panel installation do you think there are enough room for a Thumper compressor? It seems like that size is pretty generic for the cheaper compressors.

·
Registered
nissan
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Decided to go with the quarter panel as I want to install a catch can in the location of the old compressor. Thanks for your help guys:)

·
Registered
nissan
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yupp that is the one. The project will be out of my comfort zone but nothing great normally happens within your comfort zone :D

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Yupp that is the one. The project will be out of my comfort zone but nothing great normally happens within your comfort zone :D
Yes have a go. Just remember nothing is permanent and you can always put things back or change them later.

Under the bonnet I moved the vacuum pipes where there is the solid metal pipe, it is only so there are several connections for the ABS brakes and other gear that was not fitted to my Patrol anyway. So I took it all out and ran a vacuum hose well out of the way.

BUT if you move the heater hoses to mount the compressor closer to the turbo, then it is going to get too hot and not only will it be less efficient, it will eventually kill it.

In the rear quarter passenger side is plenty of spare room and it is away from the heat of the motor. Look at fitting a fan if the compressor does not already have one.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Under front passenger seat is another good place.

What about simply overhauling the current compressor? Suppose that doesn't help with the heat issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts