Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan/gu
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help. Have just drained the gearbox oil in preparation for our next trip and I cannot get the filler plug undone. It looks like the last person to do a oil change on the gearbox used some sort of thread sealant, and it's sealed alright!

Have used penetrating fluid and let it stand overnight. Have used a jack under the spanner to try and crack the nut but no good.

Is there any other way of getting oil back into the gearbox beside using the filler hole???

I need the car for my daughters wedding next weekend so the wife is pretty pi**ed off at the moment.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks, tim

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Tim,
Mine was REALLY tight as well, thought it would never come undone. I had to use a length of waterpipe extension on the ratchet to get the leverage. BE CAREFUL not to crack the housing. The sealant was around my plug as well but I doubt that would lock it.
Good luck

Rob

·
Registered
801 Posts
Bit late for the advice now, but always remove filler plug first, then the drain plug.

Good luck with it, they can be really tight. I used a freeze spray (loctite brand I think) to get mine undone with a long piece of water pipe hanging of the ratchet.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Golden rule when working on anything is to alway make sure you take the filler plug out BEFORE removing the drain plug or else you might be up sh** creek without a paddle:D

I do remember needing a piece of pipe to undo my filler plugs when i first replaced the oils not sure if they use a form of locktie from the factory or not

·
She's apples
nissan patrol
1,055 Posts
My drain plug wouldn't budge and the 1/2" square hole in it was rounded by the last person. I welded a bolt to it (very careful not to bugger the threaded hole) then used a length of water pipe like the others have said.

·
Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
1,720 Posts
yeh as said BIG bar. They have a tappered thread so when they are done up to tight they need leaverage to get them un-done.:confused: Maybe even use an impact gun if you have access to the equipment.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Go to Bunnings and get yourself a little blowtorch for $10 if you havent got one and heat it up, this will melt the thread sealant. If all else failes you may have to remove the centre console and take out the shifter and pour the oil in through the top. Mine was done this way when I got the clutch done in mine, although I wasnt aware for 12 months untill I drained it and found lots more oil came out than should have.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Also make Sure trying to loosen in correct direction, only saying because so many go the wrong way.

·
Registered
Nissan 2002 GU TD42 Coil Cab
255 Posts
Have previously had the transmission oils changed at a Nissan workshop. Just spent several hours getting both plugs out. Filler plug then the drain.
Ended up using a short length of tool steel and a socket, extension bar and a length of pipe.
Going to wrap thread tape on the plugs and NOT do them up so damn tight.
Feel sure the workshop over tightened then so you have to come back.:mad:

Cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.