Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all hopeing for some advice/help with my 2.8 GU, after getting home from work and then going to shops etc I retured home only to rememer I forgot to get some other stuff from the shop, so I go outside and the rig fires then stalls and now just cranks over with no sign of starting. Things I have checked so far are fuel in tank, fuel in filter, fuel at front of pump, no fuel at rear of pump or injectors no surprise there) I had the timming belt replaced 18 months ago but removed the cover to check anyway, all good even checked to make sure the fuel pump sprocket had not shifted in the keyway. I have spoke to 2 diesel mechs here in Alb/Wod and they wont touch the fly by wire stuff. Has anybody had a similar experiece like this? and can anybody reccomend a good mech in Albury-Wodonga.
After trolling through the 2.8 threads there seems to be some with similar probs but nothing that wont start.
Oh BTW yes if its a pump im expectig my beer tab will take a hit :(, Oh she has 317000 on the clock.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
587 Posts
Sorry to hear mate, Checked fuses for the injector pump/ Engine control?

But by the sounds of it its the pump if there's fuel before but not after it. Unless something like the NATS key or something electrical like that has thrown up a fault code and thats stopping the car from starting.

Hopefully one of the other 2.8 owners can shed some light on this.

·
Registered
nissan
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TY for that, yeah have tried the spare key and swapped all fuses out, Im hopeing its the ECU only because its cheaper, but with the high Ks the pump is probably only a matter of time.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
587 Posts
Nooooo! :( I was hoping that wouldnt sell because he is going to part it out if it doesn't and i want the turbo :(

·
Registered
nissan
147 Posts
Those turbos come up all the time on eBay for like 100bux
You can buy a rebuild slash seal kit with bearings for about 100 bux
And for an extra hundred get new shafts and wheels

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I think that motor may be farked. I spoke to him and what he told me didnt make sense.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand.

Maybe crank angle sensor? If it fails it wont go. I would have thought if the pump was buggered you would have had hot start issues before it failed completely?

·
Registered
nissan
147 Posts
Have you tested for power at the MAF and the pump? Test the plugs and see if it glows.. Plugs run off the ecu, if they glow your ecu works, same with power at pump and MAF. It won't be your MAF, hmm if your ecu is firing up I'd agree with nismo. Because pumps don't seem to just crap out they just slowly die

·
Registered
nissan
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys she is off to the mechanics on Monday, was the earliest I could get it in, after speaking to him he said most likely the ECU or crank angle sensor. Will keep you posted. Wanted it for the weekend but oh well.
Dont worry Fazza im not bidding on it anymore untill I can pipoint the problem, but someone else has i see though.

TY to the guys who have PM me with a pump for sale much appreciated.;)

·
Registered
757 Posts
have you thought of buying a crank angle sensor and installing it yourself? You might get your truck running by the weekend yet
The money you will save on the labour will pay for the new sensor. Changing the sensor is not a hard job that can be done by most (as long as you have long small hands!!)

·
Registered
nissan
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If Nissan Albury have one (yeah right) I will but I reckon I have more chances with my lotto numbers coming up.

·
Registered
nissan
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Placed a call to Nissan they didnt have one only $170 for one so rang the wreckers figuring if I get one cheap will help with fault diagnoses but they wanted $117 for one so bugger it can wait till Monday.

·
Registered
nissan
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have all weekend, and I have the Nissan disc so It will give me something to do. :sad: Be better if I was out i it though.

·
Registered
nissan
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok she is running again after the Mechanic reset the ecu and said it is coming up maf error. No worries I check ed it on the weekend and pretty well came up with the same conclusion. Im not sure why that would tell the ECU not to start but anyway I told him to keep it for the rest of the week to do the wheel bearing etc anyway and drive it around as im suss on the not starting bit Friday and time I guess will tell. $300 to look at it $450 for the MAF I cant complain as I was expecting a fuelpump bill.
Will keep posted to see if I get her back on Friday. :confused:

·
Registered
nissan
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok problem sorted out, after the ECU was reset off she went, so I bring her home. We then decide to go out we hop in and it wont go again. To say I was pissed is an understatement. I get the spare key to try it again and away she goes. As im gining around the misses says how come there is no red thingy in the end of this key? Red faced I then realise that when I dropped it off at the mechanic I gave him the spare key so I didnt have to stuff around removing keys etc, there fore eliminating the fault.

I had tried the spare key when the problem had first surfaced.

So from what I can work out is that when the key (NATS) failed and I was stuffing around trying to sort the problem and trying to start it, the NATS had gone into (perhaps) someone is trying to steal me mode and shut everything down, reguardless of what key I used to try to start it. So when the mechanic reset the ECU it was keen to go and the spare key sealed the deal, so problem fixed.

Thanks to all for the advice on possible causes etc as my data base for 2.8 issues has now expanded.

So now its off to Nissan tomorrow to order a new "spare" key.:cup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts