Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
nissangqpatrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between 70 /80 kms from light throttle through to hard throttle, even coasting I get this roaring grumbling noise through the driveline.

Having the car up on 4 stands and running in 4wd High at around 80kms it sounds real bad. Noise is still there with or without wheels on or off the car.

4th gear the sound is there at around 80kms speed mark.

In 5th gear the noise comes in around the 70km mark (so lower revs) Not as loud as 4th gear but still telling you its there.

get under the car and try to find the source seemed easy as it was really loud at the rear of the transfer case Just before the drum brake. So assumed it was the bearing in the transfer case.

Had the transfer case replaced but noise was still there. 3 people were convinced that it was the back of the transfer case so I told the shop to replace it. Sadly though nothing changed. That's 400 bucks gone :- (Not the workshops fault as it fooled us all)

Get the car back home and Back up on 4 stands and did another "process of elimination" run. The stands used were sitting on the diffs and they are 6 ton each industrial stands. no cheap thrills here.

1st run: 2wd...NO NOISE

2nd run: 4wd high, around 80kms noise is "felt" and heard through the car.

3rd run: 4wd low range, still there but no where near as loud I think this was mainly due to the fact that it was friggen hard to get up to 80kms in low range :)

4th run: removed front tailshaft, no noise in either high and low range

5th run: removed rear tailshaft, ( both F&R shafts off) run at 80kms no noise in either high or low range

6th run: fit front tailshaft on and at 80kms noise is back BUT now sounds like the front diff. The noise itself is strong and loud near the front diff flange area. Still can be hard at rear of T/F case like originally but now louder at the front diff near flange.

Uni joints are fine and new. I checked them on bench many times also tried other tail shafts. All good here.

So after many checks I pulled the front diff out today and took it to a diff shop here in cranny, Sadly though the guy called me and told me the diff is fine and cannot find anything wrong inside so I gave the order for him to replace the bearings now that its out anyway, not cheap at around 450 bucks damn it. I wont get the diff back until tuesday now due to Easter weekend

Any other elimination processes you guys can suggest I check when i get the diff back?
My only other guess at this stage is the gearbox itself but from all the tests already done the gearbox is the only area the noise does not sound strong or as loud.

·
Registered
Nissan
500 Posts
Unbalanced. Tail/prop shaft?
I always mark mine prior to removal to ensure I reinstall it in the same orientation.
Try rotating it to see if that helps any.

·
Registered
nissangqpatrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks tru.. no mate they are eliminated already I have tried 3 different sets and no difference to the rumble. But thanks for your suggestion mate.
This ones got me stumped real bad.

·
Registered
Nissan
25 Posts
How about a test while the front diff is out.

My dad use to use a long screw driver poking it around and putting his ear on it to feel+ listen for noises - might help locating the bugger.

Sent from my D6633 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
I believe I had these similar noises, but at highway driving speed in 2wd, did all the same checks and replaced uni's etc. I finally took the prop shaft to a place in Sydney and bingo. The shaft body was that far out of balance , I have owned the car for most its life , GQ td42 y60, and there where no dents , no hits that I know of. The guy balanced it while I waited , told me that he believes it was never balanced right in the first place, and bugger me after 20 years and 280k I had a new car.
I hope this helps someone.

Neil

·
Registered
nissangqpatrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Coke,
This may sound a little silly, but do you need to be in 4wd if doing 80kmh?

hey tru,
well being up on stands at home it was the only speed where the rumble and vibration could be heard.
But in answer to your question, there have been times on long flat fire trails where 80kms was a comfortable place to be for that extra front wheel drive if needed.
cheers mate

·
Registered
nissangqpatrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How about a test while the front diff is out.

My dad use to use a long screw driver poking it around and putting his ear on it to feel+ listen for noises - might help locating the bugger.

Sent from my D6633 using Tapatalk
Thanks mate, yes did that test this morning straight after running it with NO tail shafts. Put the rear tail shaft back on and did the low/high range test up to 90kms and ran perfectly. NO NOISE at all.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Got me stumped i tell you.
I will spew if it ends up being the gearbox, which I really doubt from all the tests.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Not sure if you have any suspension lift or not ?

I had a the same noise in my GQ ' I fixed it with gearbox spacers to ease the universals which fixed the problem in 2wd but 4wd still had the rumble but I never worried about it .

·
Registered
nissangqpatrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if you have any suspension lift or not ?

I had a the same noise in my GQ ' I fixed it with gearbox spacers to ease the universals which fixed the problem in 2wd but 4wd still had the rumble but I never worried about it .
Hi mate, yep running 4 inch lift with drop boxes as required. Have had 4 inch lift for 4 years now. its definately a drive noise without any doubt at all.
Thanks for your input though.
every bit counts.
I gotta find this gremlin and soon or it will be the looney bin for me.:headwall:

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
I wouldn't think it would be the gearbox as it doesn't make the noise in 2wd.
When you get the front diff back in try a run on the stands with the front wheels off.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
In my experience running a car on stands is a recipe for misdiagnosis because there is no load on anything you will hear all sorts of noises.
I learnt this the hard way as an apprentice when i rebuilt an 80s landcruiser gearbox then found out the diff was farked.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
my swb had grind noise on throttle off over run down hill thing rebuilt rear shaft cut down longer lower arm again cut it down to happy level , the mrs don't hear it no more:)

·
Registered
nissangqpatrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We have a diff shop in cranny?
did you try pulling your front axels and checking the cv's and even hubs over?
Dazz,
all front diff parts are on the bench, cleaned and ready to be re greased / packed.
CV's are good, needle roller bearings are good as well thanks for the suggestion though.

Yeh we got a shop in arundel street which does diffs and trannies. He seems cool as he could have told me the diff needed a complete rebuild but instead called me just 2 hours after i left the diff and told me he can find nothing wrong with it.
So i instructed him to replace all bearings while its out.

·
Registered
nissangqpatrol
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wouldn't think it would be the gearbox as it doesn't make the noise in 2wd.
When you get the front diff back in try a run on the stands with the front wheels off.
Lightspeed, thanks mate yeh I will run the same tests all over again IF the noise is still there.
Thanks for your input buddy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts