Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have only just joined so I brought a 2002 patrol 3 weeks later found I have a cracked head yayyyyy thought I done the research and found a good one one owner full service book so it's in the shop now quote is 4200 I was going to install a anti hand grenade kit while its in the shop they quoted $980 for kit and install does this price sound right please help cheers

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Hi all I have only just joined so I brought a 2002 patrol 3 weeks later found I have a cracked head yayyyyy thought I done the research and found a good one one owner full service book so it's in the shop now quote is 4200 I was going to install a anti hand grenade kit while its in the shop they quoted $980 for kit and install does this price sound right please help cheers
Sounds like they are trying to milk you for money while the emotion of the cracked head is still around.

What do they expect to give you for $980?

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Plus this thread might get moved :)

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
Catch can, dawes valve, needle valve, EGR block and maybe 3 hours (max) to fit plus minor parts (hose, clamps, etc) should be a bit less than $980 IMO

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,667 Posts
The price is ok if it also includes Autometer boost and Egt gauges.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
And if the mechanic knows what they are doing.

I've fixed a few dodgey installs now from a well known local place. 22psi is not normal and will damage the engine.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
At this point in time I'd be more interested in the job they are doing with the head, repeat failures are not uncommon if this is not done correctly. All the NADS gear can go on later. A key part of NADS is the gauges (boost and particularly the EGT), so if they are including them, then $980 is not so bad.

Cracked heads can be caused by a few things, coolant being changed and procedures not being followed is one (air pockets in the head creating hot spots) and glow plug issues being another, this is usually witnessed by cracks radiating out from the glow plug holes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts